Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hope you can help me with the following.

I have a coolant leak coming from the water pump, see picture:

I already have changed the O-ring on the coolant side, however, the leak remains, this was the old O-ring:

So, my guess is that the leak is coming from the seal water pump shaft (#4)??

Perhaps, it could be a leak Washer Gasket/ lock (#3 /#11)??:

Cleary it should be a leak related to the coolant side of the water pump right?:

Does anyone know, how to remove the shaft from the waterpump? In order to get to the center, for example to replace the Oil and/or Mechanical seal?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble!

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
I don't think 3 and 11 provides a seal, they hold the impeller on the shaft and there is coolant on both sides of the impeller. The shaft seal and the o ring provide your seals. That old o ring was pooched. I would pull it again and recheck the slot the o ring sits in. It needs to be shiny cleaned. You would also want to check for a hairline crack there. The depositi left in the groove by the leak has a very straight edge and that looks weird to me.

Reactions: Mexrado

·
Super Moderator
9,139 Posts
Good post and description of your problem and second what Tin said above.

The slightly tricky part is finding out whether the shaft seal or the cover o-ring is the culprit since coolant coming out of the weep hole ends up in the same spot.

Wipe everything down, tuck a wad of paper towel under the pump and run the engine enough to see just where the leak is coming from.

Reactions: Dubresse

·
Registered
547 Posts
Wonder why suzuki uses screw on that location and hex bolts other? My l1 has a Phillips (or JIS) in that spot instead of a slotted screw.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
According to the service manual, once you get the impeller off, the shaft should just pull out by hand. The oil seal and mechanical seal require special tools. Looking into it a bit more, there is a seal required between the bolt and impeller. The mechanical seal seals between the backside of the impeller and the housing. The seal on the bolt seals between the impeller and shaft so coolant doesn't pass through the center of the impeller.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think 3 and 11 provides a seal, they hold the impeller on the shaft and there is coolant on both sides of the impeller. The shaft seal and the o ring provide your seals. That old o ring was pooched. I would pull it again and recheck the slot the o ring sits in. It needs to be shiny cleaned. You would also want to check for a hairline crack there. The depositi left in the groove by the leak has a very straight edge and that looks weird to me.
Thanks for your reply!

I cleaned the slot completely (see below picture), unfortunately, the leak remained.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Weep hole leaks from internal seals. you need to replace ALL replaceable seals. Pretty sure they sell rebuild kits for your coolant pump...

·
SuperMod of the North
26,509 Posts
Thanks for your reply!

I cleaned the slot completely (see below picture), unfortunately, the leak remained.

View attachment 294251
I figured you had but it has to be said. Like when someone says "Be careful on that ladder" and you think to yourself "No shit Sherlock". GIven the new parts on that seal it is looking like the inner seal is the culprit. Spyder is likely correct, do both and call it a day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good post and description of your problem and second what Tin said above.

The slightly tricky part is finding out whether the shaft seal or the cover o-ring is the culprit since coolant coming out of the weep hole ends up in the same spot.

Wipe everything down, tuck a wad of paper towel under the pump and run the engine enough to see just where the leak is coming from.

Thanks for your reply!
According to the service manual, once you get the impeller off, the shaft should just pull out by hand. The oil seal and mechanical seal require special tools. Looking into it a bit more, there is a seal required between the bolt and impeller. The mechanical seal seals between the backside of the impeller and the housing. The seal on the bolt seals between the impeller and shaft so coolant doesn't pass through the center of the impeller.
At first, thanks for your reply!

You mentioned "The oil seal and mechanical seal require special tools."
Do you know the name of the 'special tools'? Do you mean the '09921-20240: Bearing remover set (12 mm)' (see below picture)?:

If so, that is not a relative cheap tool to purchase! Can't find a video demo or such, to see how it works. If you have suggestions, please let me know :)

·
Registered
547 Posts

Not a good video but the 1st pinned comment below might be helpful.
Someday I am gonna have to do this.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That pinched O-ring indicates that the pump has been apart before and not carefully reassembled.

The above video is useful in showing the overall procedure but I agree with "not a good video". It's awfully "hammer-mechanic"ey. His bungling use of a screwdriver is not to be followed. For example all he needed was a 6 mm bolt, possibly the one that he just removed, to drive the shaft out. Instead his screwdriver leaves everything dinged up. A close reading of the service manual suggests that there's an easily missed subtlety. The oil seal has a 21 mm OD and it's installed with a 22 mm driver. That will locate it flush with a lip in the pump body instead of at the bottom of the bore for the seal. Driving it to the bottom may interfere with the seal's functioning.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The tool is just a bearing puller. In the states, there are parts shops that loan out tools with deposits. You might have something similar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts