Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 K6 and I've never had any problem with it till about a few weeks ago. I am the original owner and the bike is in pristine condition.

The bike only has 9800 miles on it. The bike turned off on me as I was riding and the oil light came on and it read CHEC and FI. I was at a light in heavy traffic and out of nowhere the bike died. It would not restart for a couple minutes and when it did the bike sputtered and died on me again. After starting it a second time I got back on the road and accelerated, but the bike started stuttered and lurching. I even gave it wide open throttle only to have it die again. After managing the get the bike started again, it backfired and then the check engine light went away. It still ran like crap though. I had to have it towed. However, now it is at the shop, but they can't find anything wrong with it. I am being told that the bike is running fine now with no problems. The bike seems to ride alright unless I am in stop and go traffic, but when it does have an issue it leaves me stranded. I am also noticing a flickering with the instrumentation where the gear shift indicator and speedo just disappear and the tach will also surge and flicker randomly when the bike dies.

There is no corrosion or looseness with the pins/socket on the ECM. The kickstand sensor seems to be fine. The plugs are fine. It has a brand new Yuasa battery.

I do have a PCIII and a custom tune, but the shop said my PCIII is functioning properly.

The bike is currently not giving the shop any problems and none of the codes apparently stored from my latest fiasco. Yet, the bike has died on me twice this summer and twice had to have a tow. Please if anybody can offer any help or advice with what is going on I would truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Well, I have the same bike except for the PC. I do have an ECU flash too though.
When you said the kickstand sensor 'seems fine', are you sure it's staying locked all the way up when you're riding, etc.? Have you also checked for the burnt ground wire that goes to the front cluster also? You to remove the left side fairing and look at the huge plug, the large black wire.
Mine, like others, was burnt there and giving a random connection that makes you loose the front cluster lights and tach, etc.
I actually don't think it will keep it from running though- so probably not it then.

Others will chime in

* Oh yeah, 9800 miles? RIDE THE DAMN THING!!
Mine has about 32,000 now, and I've had it 4 seasons/years. It had 12K wen I got it LOL

good luck

Reactions: Jimmy boy

·
SuperMod of the North
28,441 Posts
It sounds electrical. Oil light and chec are normal with the engine not running or stalled and the key on. The side stand switch is a consideration but the shop should have sorted that out pretty quickly.

Is it overheating? Both times have been in traffic when air flow is cool. Check your fluids and cooling fan cycle.

Also, double back to your battery and confirm the voltage. 12.5V with bike off and around 14.4V with bike at about 5000rpm. I suspect a R/R that is putting out fluctuating voltage might be a consideration. If it is only doing it when it gets hot the shop may not catch it. If so it would cook your new battery and damage the ECU. I think the 2006 was one of the years where the R/R was in a poor location and a common mod was to move it to the side of the engine away from the headers to keep it cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have the same bike except for the PC. I do have an ECU flash too though.
When you said the kickstand sensor 'seems fine', are you sure it's staying locked all the way up when you're riding, etc.? Have you also checked for the burnt ground wire that goes to the front cluster also? You to remove the left side fairing and look at the huge plug, the large black wire.
Mine, like others, was burnt there and giving a random connection that makes you loose the front cluster lights and tach, etc.
I actually don't think it will keep it from running though- so probably not it then.

Others will chime in

* Oh yeah, 9800 miles? RIDE THE DAMN THING!!
Mine has about 32,000 now, and I've had it 4 seasons/years. It had 12K wen I got it LOL

good luck
Hi Todd, Thanks for your reply. Just to update you and everybody else: I decided to take my bike to a different shop than where I had it, and they have determined that my PC 3 is in fact my culprit. The previous shop said it was fine, but noted that they 'do' eventually need replacing. That was not the same statement to me as "You're PCIII is your problem. When we unplugged it your bike ran fine." The biggest pain in my butt with this all was that my problems only arose in certain riding conditions and then only randomly.

Todd, also I have 10,000 miles on it now lol. I divide my time between the other bike and a car, so they all have pretty low mileage ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds electrical. Oil light and chec are normal with the engine not running or stalled and the key on. The side stand switch is a consideration but the shop should have sorted that out pretty quickly.

Is it overheating? Both times have been in traffic when air flow is cool. Check your fluids and cooling fan cycle.

Also, double back to your battery and confirm the voltage. 12.5V with bike off and around 14.4V with bike at about 5000rpm. I suspect a R/R that is putting out fluctuating voltage might be a consideration. If it is only doing it when it gets hot the shop may not catch it. If so it would cook your new battery and damage the ECU. I think the 2006 was one of the years where the R/R was in a poor location and a common mod was to move it to the side of the engine away from the headers to keep it cooler.
No, the bike isn't overheating. What is an R/R? The previous shop I had it at said they couldn't identify my issue and that my bike was running fine now. Seeing as my bike has left my stranded twice this summer I took it to another shop for a second opinion. The 2nd shop is sayin it's my PC3.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,441 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. R/R is rectifier/regulator. It converts the out put of the generator to a constant 12V dc. Excessive heat can cause problems for them. As mentioned, some people had better luck after relocating them to somewhere with more air flow. Did you have a chance to poke around more since the last post?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late reply. R/R is rectifier/regulator. It converts the out put of the generator to a constant 12V dc. Excessive heat can cause problems for them. As mentioned, some people had better luck after relocating them to somewhere with more air flow. Did you have a chance to poke around more since the last post?
The other shop was very confident that the PCIII was my problem, so I picked it up Friday. The g/f was in town this weekend and we had other plans, so I haven't really had a chance to further inspect. It ran like a champ all the way home on Friday though. I'll see about getting out for a bit with it later on this evening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts