Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all - I am planning on buying either a 2020 GSXR1000 or a 2018 GSXR1000R. First of all, I am really confused about what's the difference btw the R1000 and the R1000R. From what I've learnt, the 1000R has superior shocks and suspension and has these two cool LED lights next to the headlight? Otherwise, do they both have same engine config like HP and Torque numbers and both come with RAM AIR ducts?? Will the shocks be significantly different for street riding?
If it's only these differences, perhaps I'm better off with the R1000. I mostly do highway riding where I can twist the throttle a bit. Never been on track. Not sure if I'll ever go there.
Just another point - I currently ride a 2018 GSX S1000F which is great. I believe the GSX R1000 and R1000R will give me better top end power. I think the S1000F is like 150 HP but the R1000 and R1000R are like 200 HP which would be significantly different in performance I'm assuming. How's the low end torque on the R1000 and R1000R? Thanks in advance for your expert advice!

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Welcome. There is a long list of specs for both bikes on the Suzuki home page.

I was impressed that the electronics appear the same and both have the sweet bi-directional quick shift, tons of traction control and smart ABS. Powerwise, they are the same.

It s a little vague what the additional $2,100 gets you, but it does look like better suspension, stainless brake lines and a few other goodies.

I demoed one of these last year and it was a good bike, I'm thinking it was the base version.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. There is a long list of specs for both bikes on the Suzuki home page.

I was impressed that the electronics appear the same and both have the sweet bi-directional quick shift, tons of traction control and smart ABS. Powerwise, they are the same.

It s a little vague what the additional $2,100 gets you, but it does look like better suspension, stainless brake lines and a few other goodies.

I demoed one of these last year and it was a good bike, I'm thinking it was the base version.

Interesting! I'm leaning towards the R1000. I don't think the R1000R's extra features will really benefit my style of riding. Maybe if I were an experienced track rider, the suspension may matter.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can fill you in on the truth behind the two as I have a 17 GSXR 1000 and my buddy has a 18 GSXR 1000 R. Both of us are seasoned WERA riders and track day enthusiasts.

There is only three real differences between the two.

Suspension - His has a more “upgraded” suspension if you want to call it that which is great for street and some light track days but not the best for very aggressive riders - road racing. Has the extra money he spent been justified... not for the aggressive riding style we have (maybe it would be for more docile riders). So far the standard suspension is the way to go on all levels Especially if you know how or have someone who knows how to set it up. Also for the $ you might as well just get a ohlins rear and get the forks revalved.

Quick shifter - his has a silky smooth bidirectional quick shifter and mine didn’t. Even though I had the option flashed Into my ECU. Am I missing out? Not at all because the shifting blip is so fast on the stock bike already I haven’t justified getting it or you have the option to later purchase a after market one from Dynojet or Bazzaz etc.

Launch control - so far it’s been no advantage but just something to play with. We don’t really do standing still launches unless it’s on a grid for a solo/sprint.

My (bad) experiences.... so far has been less than stellar until these last two months. I am just now reaching 5k miles (I purchased mine thanksgiving of last year (2019) with zero miles from a dealer for 11774 (new, old stock). So far my master cylinder (not even 500 miles) let go thanks to lowest bidder brembos which shot fluid all over my rotors, forks, and bottom of my upper fairing. Luckily I was straight up and down so only slid. It took a month to convince the dealer and Suzuki to warranty the parts most of that time the bike sat With the dealer. They finally did but did not do the caliper rebuild so now my calipers are seizing and I have to take it back to fight them again.

The handlebars are insanely buzzy thanks to the engine not having a balance shaft. I still haven’t gotten used to it.

Because the brake fluid went on the bottom side of the upper fairing it ate the paint off and Suzuki is refusing to replace it or buy me a paint pen.

I am getting a double click when shifting (It’s almost making two clicks and doesn’t confidently go into gear (was like that when I pulled away from the dealer)) through the gears especially 4-5, then 5-6. We think my detent needs to be replaced but they don’t want to replace it.
The clutch (possibly Suzuki Clutch Assist System) is not smooth when leaving a standing stop.

The stock bridgestones which I have never liked lasted 4080 miles. Didn’t care as I love Michelin and Pirelli.

The speedo is ugly and has too much stupid info that’s not arranged correctly, also you have to go into dealer mode to reset the oil change.

What I have done to make this thing rideable and smooth: M4 full system, ECU flash and tune from KWS in South Carolina, PCV and autotune because I’m on the Gulf Coast of MS so the temp/humidity is different than KWSs and trust me the DJ autotune was well worth the money as long as you know how to set the motor up and the AFR map table, and a few other small bits.

The good: after all the tuning it’s blisteringly fast and blows by everything I’ve been next to so far,it’s by far the best handling GSXR I have ever used on street suspension, i have the Metallic blue one and it’s the best looking GSXR ever produced, it’s stock traction control is a joy to have especially clipping along at speed through twisties.

I hope this info helps you and others! I am finally enjoying the bike but I can tell you up to 2 months ago I absolutely regretted my purchase and will never recommend this bike to anyone(I actually put it up for sale as soon as I got it home because it was such a Monday/Friday bike). If I had to do it again I would get an R6 and GSXR 750 but the price was right.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
@EVL 750 Nice write up.

What part blew out on the master cylinder? The piston seal itself?

The reason I ask is a friend came by with his 2020 Husky 701 with a Brembo MC. If I gently and slowly pulled the brake lever back I can get it to go to the bar with no brake pressure. No leaks. Obviously the piston cup seal is bleeding past.

The bike has barely 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
@EVL 750 Nice write up.

What part blew out on the master cylinder? The piston seal itself?

The reason I ask is a friend came by with his 2020 Husky 701 with a Brembo MC. If I gently and slowly pulled the brake lever back I can get it to go to the bar with no brake pressure. No leaks. Obviously the piston cup seal is bleeding past.

The bike has barely 1500 miles on it.
Thank you.

Affirm, thanks to a bad mill job on the stock Brembo masters the piston seal has the potential to not mate with the housing. This is obviously not a new problem from several years back but surely it had to be fixed...nope. Not only did mine let go, but a fellow racer bought 2x 2019 GSXRs 600 and 750 last year and both of his were exhibiting similar symptoms so he replaced them with aftermarket brembos vs warranty (he was going to anyway for the track which is why). They did not fail but I believe they could of been faulty.

My brake lever was all over the place at times and because it was still “braking” the dealer (Suzuki City Biloxi, MS) did not believe me and fought me. I picked up my bike after they “inspected“ it and by the time I made it home there was fluid spray on everything (he stated that the reservoir cap was loose, filled it to the brim, and tightened it). First the books picture has always shown a half full reservoir, and second from all the years of track time I have never filled my reservoir more than half full because of fluid expansion. I took the bike down the highway and said...”you guys want to play, then I’m game”.....I went back and forth between 50-well over 100 then grabbed hand fulls of brake until I was able to finish it off. Drove it over to them and said here you go (simultaneously received a email response from Suzuki stating they would not be warrantying the master because of dealer recommendations). The owner walks out and I show him that it failed, and he says “well I guess we will warranty that”.....I was furious. Imagine if it let go in a corner at speed.

If you are able to go all the way to the bars then that thing about to hurt you or someone else (take caution). I do know one of the recent aftermarket Brembos is notorious for failure but I’d have to look up the model. Huskies are one manufacturer I know nothing about but a master is a master and calipers are calipers (not new technology).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you.

Affirm, thanks to a bad mill job on the stock Brembo masters the piston seal has the potential to not mate with the housing. This is obviously not a new problem from several years back but surely it had to be fixed...nope. Not only did mine let go, but a fellow racer bought 2x 2019 GSXRs 600 and 750 last year and both of his were exhibiting similar symptoms so he replaced them with aftermarket brembos vs warranty (he was going to anyway for the track which is why). They did not fail but I believe they could of been faulty.

My brake lever was all over the place at times and because it was still “braking” the dealer (Suzuki City Biloxi, MS) did not believe me and fought me. I picked up my bike after they “inspected“ it and by the time I made it home there was fluid spray on everything (he stated that the reservoir cap was loose, filled it to the brim, and tightened it). First the books picture has always shown a half full reservoir, and second from all the years of track time I have never filled my reservoir more than half full because of fluid expansion. I took the bike down the highway and said...”you guys want to play, then I’m game”.....I went back and forth between 50-well over 100 then grabbed hand fulls of brake until I was able to finish it off. Drove it over to them and said here you go (simultaneously received a email response from Suzuki stating they would not be warrantying the master because of dealer recommendations). The owner walks out and I show him that it failed, and he says “well I guess we will warranty that”.....I was furious. Imagine if it let go in a corner at speed.

If you are able to go all the way to the bars then that thing about to hurt you or someone else (take caution). I do know one of the recent aftermarket Brembos is notorious for failure but I’d have to look up the model. Huskies are one manufacturer I know nothing about but a master is a master and calipers are calipers (not new technology).
I can fill you in on the truth behind the two as I have a 17 GSXR 1000 and my buddy has a 18 GSXR 1000 R. Both of us are seasoned WERA riders and track day enthusiasts.

There is only three real differences between the two.

Suspension - His has a more “upgraded” suspension if you want to call it that which is great for street and some light track days but not the best for very aggressive riders - road racing. Has the extra money he spent been justified... not for the aggressive riding style we have (maybe it would be for more docile riders). So far the standard suspension is the way to go on all levels Especially if you know how or have someone who knows how to set it up. Also for the $ you might as well just get a ohlins rear and get the forks revalved.

Quick shifter - his has a silky smooth bidirectional quick shifter and mine didn’t. Even though I had the option flashed Into my ECU. Am I missing out? Not at all because the shifting blip is so fast on the stock bike already I haven’t justified getting it or you have the option to later purchase a after market one from Dynojet or Bazzaz etc.

Launch control - so far it’s been no advantage but just something to play with. We don’t really do standing still launches unless it’s on a grid for a solo/sprint.

My (bad) experiences.... so far has been less than stellar until these last two months. I am just now reaching 5k miles (I purchased mine thanksgiving of last year (2019) with zero miles from a dealer for 11774 (new, old stock). So far my master cylinder (not even 500 miles) let go thanks to lowest bidder brembos which shot fluid all over my rotors, forks, and bottom of my upper fairing. Luckily I was straight up and down so only slid. It took a month to convince the dealer and Suzuki to warranty the parts most of that time the bike sat With the dealer. They finally did but did not do the caliper rebuild so now my calipers are seizing and I have to take it back to fight them again.

The handlebars are insanely buzzy thanks to the engine not having a balance shaft. I still haven’t gotten used to it.

Because the brake fluid went on the bottom side of the upper fairing it ate the paint off and Suzuki is refusing to replace it or buy me a paint pen.

I am getting a double click when shifting (It’s almost making two clicks and doesn’t confidently go into gear (was like that when I pulled away from the dealer)) through the gears especially 4-5, then 5-6. We think my detent needs to be replaced but they don’t want to replace it.
The clutch (possibly Suzuki Clutch Assist System) is not smooth when leaving a standing stop.

The stock bridgestones which I have never liked lasted 4080 miles. Didn’t care as I love Michelin and Pirelli.

The speedo is ugly and has too much stupid info that’s not arranged correctly, also you have to go into dealer mode to reset the oil change.

What I have done to make this thing rideable and smooth: M4 full system, ECU flash and tune from KWS in South Carolina, PCV and autotune because I’m on the Gulf Coast of MS so the temp/humidity is different than KWSs and trust me the DJ autotune was well worth the money as long as you know how to set the motor up and the AFR map table, and a few other small bits.

The good: after all the tuning it’s blisteringly fast and blows by everything I’ve been next to so far,it’s by far the best handling GSXR I have ever used on street suspension, i have the Metallic blue one and it’s the best looking GSXR ever produced, it’s stock traction control is a joy to have especially clipping along at speed through twisties.

I hope this info helps you and others! I am finally enjoying the bike but I can tell you up to 2 months ago I absolutely regretted my purchase and will never recommend this bike to anyone(I actually put it up for sale as soon as I got it home because it was such a Monday/Friday bike). If I had to do it again I would get an R6 and GSXR 750 but the price was right.

Good luck!
First of all, thanks for sharing your experience in detail! Appreciate it.
Was hard to read the part where you had to go back/forth with the dealer for brake issues. I hardly wrench much but from what I know new brake systems should hold pretty good and if you had issues 5K into riding your gixxer, that's unfortunate. Anyway, I learnt something new about Brembos. And WTF!!? how can a dealership shove you away and just 'leave you' with your brake issues and consequent paint issues!?
Maybe look for a shop and mechanic(s) you can rely on. I'm sure there are good mechanics who can fix calipers, master cylinder issues and make you ride away feeling good. Would just need some digging to find a good shop/mechanic.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your bike after all the mods and you feel it is fast! That's awesome man!

I'm still holding on to my 2018 GSX S1000F. Have had it for about 2.5 months. Bought it @ 6200 miles but now I'm at about 11.5K miles. So I have done a good 5K+ on the bike and got a bit fickle minded. Wanted to trade it in and thought I'll go with a GSXR1000 OR Ninja ZX10R. Try a full-on liter race bike and evolve from my GSX-S. But again after a couple of brisk rides and reaching my new top speed:)), I guess I should take a chill pill. Guess I may wait a bit before trading in my GSX-S. It's an awesome bike! Can't imagine what a GSXR1000 (or a equivalent ZX10R) would do with the ram air ducts and close to 200HP. That would mean getting into a lot of trouble.
I'm on the East Coast in VA and if I don't trade it in by August, I don't want to get a new bike just before winter. Maybe wait until March 2021. But as fickle minded as I am, I go with what my heart says and not my brain. I may just get a new one. Who knows! Also, the Hayabusa and ZX-14R are on my mind too. But I don't want to be parking two bikes. So unless I trade my GSX-S in, I don't think I'll just go and buy one more.

Just to give you guys more context, I come from the world of Cruisers and Touring machines. So until I got my GSX-S, I owned a Harley Softail Slim 2019 (with screaming eagle mods - 114 M8 engine, torque cam, V&H 2x1 propipe). Loved it but fell out of love with it. Also had a Honda VTX1800, a real beast. But I am enjoying my gixxer now.

Back to my original question, what is/was available was a 2018 GXSR1000R and 2020 GSXR1000(no R). I think they are at a similar price point from what I saw online. Not sure if I want to buy a 2018 (even if new) just sitting at a shop for what like 2 years?!
Will re-read what you wrote above since that's a lot of info. Thanks again mate! Ride safe!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I too am from Eastern VA (Prince George and Chesterfield area). If you ever need mechanics you can trust my step dad owns DMV Cycle Service in Chester (we are a road racing family), and the two mechanics Mike/Les at Commonwealth Power Sports are other guys we worked with for years. I lived in Va for 26 years so I know what kind of riding your doing and that there are lots of good back roads/ riding (nothing like the west coast but you can’t help that).
As for your bike situation you would be a fool (I mean that in a nice way) to go from your bike now to a litre bike. You just got it and are still learning so take it slow and let things progress as smoothly as possible. Yours is a 05 GSXR 1000 engine with a different trans and at the time was capable of making 170+ on pump gas in the GSXR (we had 3 motors for endurance each well over that hp).

Your bike is a joy to ride and all I found that was needed were simple things to make it lighter and handle more like a sport bike. Woodcraft Clip one, a full system (go for something nice like a arrow system (if you need a place to get it my step dad is a dealer)) Arrow exhaust for your bike Arrow - Suzuki GSX-S 1000 / 1000 F 2017

ECU flash and tune or just a flash with a PCV and autotune.

these are your first basic steps to making that or any bike more fun until you find a further need for rear sets, suspension, and better brake lines/pads.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too am from Eastern VA (Prince George and Chesterfield area). If you ever need mechanics you can trust my step dad owns DMV Cycle Service in Chester (we are a road racing family), and the two mechanics Mike/Les at Commonwealth Power Sports are other guys we worked with for years. I lived in Va for 26 years so I know what kind of riding your doing and that there are lots of good back roads/ riding (nothing like the west coast but you can’t help that).
As for your bike situation you would be a fool (I mean that in a nice way) to go from your bike now to a litre bike. You just got it and are still learning so take it slow and let things progress as smoothly as possible. Yours is a 05 GSXR 1000 engine with a different trans and at the time was capable of making 170+ on pump gas in the GSXR (we had 3 motors for endurance each well over that hp).

Your bike is a joy to ride and all I found that was needed were simple things to make it lighter and handle more like a sport bike. Woodcraft Clip one, a full system (go for something nice like a arrow system (if you need a place to get it my step dad is a dealer)) Arrow exhaust for your bike Arrow - Suzuki GSX-S 1000 / 1000 F 2017

ECU flash and tune or just a flash with a PCV and autotune.

these are your first basic steps to making that or any bike more fun until you find a further need for rear sets, suspension, and better brake lines/pads.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.
Thanks man!
You got a point there!:) I plan to keep my GSX-S. The only big mod it has is a GP-S1 Pro-Race muffler. I don't think it went thru any ecu flash/tune etc. I like the deep-throated sound of it. I don't think this muffler increases performance by any bit nor degrades it (coming from the mechanic at the shop where I got it). Was thinking of putting a TBR end-piece but I don't think I'll be doing any mods soon. But in the future may consider performance mods, ecu flash w/ new exhaust system. I don't come down there as far as Chester. But if I do, I'll hit you up! Good to know your stepdad owns a shop and your mechanics connections! Good to have a reliable team you can depend on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey y'all - I am planning on buying either a 2020 GSXR1000 or a 2018 GSXR1000R. First of all, I am really confused about what's the difference btw the R1000 and the R1000R. From what I've learnt, the 1000R has superior shocks and suspension and has these two cool LED lights next to the headlight? Otherwise, do they both have same engine config like HP and Torque numbers and both come with RAM AIR ducts?? Will the shocks be significantly different for street riding?
If it's only these differences, perhaps I'm better off with the R1000. I mostly do highway riding where I can twist the throttle a bit. Never been on track. Not sure if I'll ever go there.
Just another point - I currently ride a 2018 GSX S1000F which is great. I believe the GSX R1000 and R1000R will give me better top end power. I think the S1000F is like 150 HP but the R1000 and R1000R are like 200 HP which would be significantly different in performance I'm assuming. How's the low end torque on the R1000 and R1000R? Thanks in advance for your expert advice!
Man I know it all looks good on paper but the stock 2021 gsxr-1000r is not going to touch 200hp when u buy it I have one I put a brocks full system on it flashed ecu bricks crossover block off plates and a sprint air filter I had chris Moore from Moore mafia do my work and I’m at like 187 to 190 hp stock your will be lucky to get 160

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Man I know it all looks good on paper but the stock 2021 gsxr-1000r is not going to touch 200hp when u buy it I have one I put a brocks full system on it flashed ecu bricks crossover block off plates and a sprint air filter I had chris Moore from Moore mafia do my work and I’m at like 187 to 190 hp stock your will be lucky to get 160
I'm guessing you are getting 187 at the rear wheel?

The manufacturers like to talk about crankshaft hp so the 200 hp # number would yield about 170 hp at the rear wheel. (i've heard the rule of thumb is 15% loss from crankshaft to rear wheel)

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm guessing you are getting 187 at the rear wheel?

The manufacturers like to talk about crankshaft hp so the 200 hp # number would yield about 170 hp at the rear wheel. (i've heard the rule of thumb is 15% loss from crankshaft to rear wheel)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s possible but what I’m saying when that bike leaves the show room it may have 170hp to the rear but the bike and ecu programming will never let u touch it at 10,000 rpm u are only getting 30% throttle that’s all the computer will let u have these bikes are so restricted now it’s unreal u get ecu flashed and get that shitty header system with the exhaust valve and cat off and take that crossover valve off then u will be getting close to what they are claiming but not off show room u get on the bike it will take off like a rocket u get the restrictions off good luck keep front when on the ground

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
We had mine on dyno it only produced 161 to the rear stock
And yes to rear wheel
As you say, and I'm pretty sure it's well known that the HP/TQ #f's are at the crank only- with few if any restrictions. It's on paper. The bikes, not just the Gixxers, are all restricted to some degree with timing, not fully opening Throttle bodies at WOT, etc. I've also heard that the stock ones were making more than 160RWHP. Anyways- yep, everything you say is right though.

* if you are getting 187-190 RWHP, you are well over 200 HP at the crank for sure, as John states. The 15% loss is generally accepted to be accruate.

Well, my 2005 GSX-R1000 also put down 161 RWHP. When you substract 15% from 190- you get 161.5. So my motor is maing about 189 HP!
That is with a bone stock motor- No exhaust SET valve, Yoshi muffler (K5 did not come with a cat), flashed ECU- via mail, and my own version of the Pair Valve sucker mod.- (this mod alone made an extra 5+ Hp- I have the dyno sheets to prove it)

I wonder if the OP is ever gonna be back?

Calling Gixxerinme to the red courtesy phone!

Reactions: punkinhead
1 - 16 of 16 Posts