Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aight guys, i need ur help. so many people are sayin so many different things about the 520 conversion kit. first off, is there a difference between a 520 conversion kit and a 520 racing conversion kit? correct me if i'm wrong but is a gsxr 600 03's stock gearing 16-45? so, i was lookin around and i saw an RK conversion kit and it's gearing was 15-45. is that the only thing a 520 conversion kit does to your bike,drop a tooth down 1? should i buy that pre-packaged RK 520 Conversion kit or should i buy the parts separately? :headscrat

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The RK kit is a good bang for you buck. It will include a -1 front sprocket, lightweight steel sprockets, and a 520 chain kit (stock is a 525). The racing kit will have an aluminum Vortex rear andrivet type connecting link

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
520 is just a thinner chain. It doesnt really do much for ya. There does seem to be more availability of choices for chains and sprockets in 520 size. By the way vortex sprockets are crap, I'd avoid them.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
evilbologna said:
520 is just a thinner chain. It doesnt really do much for ya. There does seem to be more availability of choices for chains and sprockets in 520 size. By the way vortex sprockets are crap, I'd avoid them.
Vortex sprockets are GREAT if you lube your chain and adjust it properly. Iuse vortex sprockets on myrace bike, and on my street bike
The reason there are more sprockets avail is it is what is used by racers.
The 520 doesnt do alot on the street, but it saves on reciprocating weight, thus transimitting more HP tothe rear wheel. This is a big deal on the race track, not so much on the street, unless you are a guy who loves to shoot off about mods and HP numbers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
oh, so the RK Kit with the aluminum sprockets are better than the one's with steel? see, some guy said that steel was better cause it'd last longer but i'll take ur advice. well, i usually ride the streets but mostly the canyons. the reason i was thinking of getting a 520 conversion kit was because this owner of a pretty well known motorcycle shop down here told me that if i do that, it would release my bike's potential. well, i wasn't sure if it would so, that's why i'm askin for your feedback. oh, i have a dynojet pcIII, yoshimura trs slip on, k&n air filter, GPR steering damper. i know this is a stupid question but, what else do you guys suggest i get for my bike to get more power, something not too crazy like turbo, or NOS. oh, and i'm not the type of person to show off on what i have cause i know there's bike's out there that are way better than mine. i don't know, i guess the fact that i know i have something on my bike makes me feel good. i'm pretty sure other riders feel the same way.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It depends on what you consider "better". The aluminum sprocket kit has less rotational mass and thus will show a little bit more "gain" but the steel will last longer. The aluminum also comes with a rivet connecting link, and the steel has a clip connecting link. The rivet type takes a special tool to put on. so ifyou are not having a shop do it, you mihgt need to buy a clip connecting link so you cna do it yourself. I prefer the aluminum, but I take care of my chain and all, so it lasts a good while for me.

As far as other mods, you can go full system and custom map. other than that you have all the "normal" mods.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
If you're not racing, just get the steel rear sprockets, please. Although I use aluminum, they wear so quick (in comparison) even with proper lubing. I've used AFAM, Renthal, RRP and Vortex, and the Vortex was gone significantly faster than the other 3 aluminum rears. Ya won't feel the "less rotational mass" on the street so dont bother, it'll just cost you more with replacing rear sprockets.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Yes the steel is a more money concious way to go. Some people just like to say they have alot of goodies, but in realiity you really dont need the aluminum on the street. I WOULD go with the RK 520 conversion though, because if you were to try and buy a comparable chain and sprockets separately you would pay ALOT more usually.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where can you get steel sprockets from? Do you know of any kits or anything that contain the steel sprockets or is the dealer the only place to get them?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There are two RK kits, one with light weight steel, and one with aluminum. The RACE kit has the aluminum. Any dealer with Parts Unlimeted can get both.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
check out www.sprocketcenter.com thats where I get my RK chain kits, and I must say I love them, minus the rear sprocket going bye bye quick :headscrat but its really not that bad.

As mentioned already buying shit seperately can be more expensive easily. For example, I believe theres a RK kit that comes with Afam sprockets, the rear sprocket alone is 65$, front is about 30$, and the chain is at least 90$. The kit is 155$ compared to 190ish seperately. Money saver it is.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow, it's good to know that there's people out there that they know what they're talking about. thanks guys! hey moto, that bike on your page, that's how my bike looks like. aight, i'll go with the lightweight steel then since i don't do the tracks. sorry guys, i know i'm askin too much but since you guys know what you're talkin about i might as well ask you. any other mods you guys think i should do to my bike?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You hve an 03 600? and it looks like MINE. I powdered the frame black, painted the tail black, and added chrome sticker accents on all the "suzuki' name plates and along the stripes.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
if you plan on doing a lot of wheelies than I would go with a 525 or so, I have a friend who stunts who broke teeth of of a 520 rear in less than a month, replaced it with a 520, broke more teeth a month later, then repleced it with a 525 and has been fine since.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
whoa whoa whoa! are you serious?!!!!! i'm just starting to do my wheelies and that's one of the reasons why i wanted to do the 520 conversion. i was told that it'd be easier for me to do wheelies if i had that 520 conversion. what kind of sprockets did ur boy use? i'm glad i caught that thread before i purchased the kit! wait, so 525 is that near as good as a 520? this is what i'm talkin about. that's why it's kinda hard for me to decide what to do. i'm glad u told me though.

·
Registered
543 Posts
i had the 520 on my 03' 600 and its actually perfect for stunting(wheelies) as long as you keep the chain tighter than normal, but just a smidge. if you leave it loose when you finally roll it on or my preference is clutching it up it, it tends to want to drag and dull or yank teeth, i went w/ the 520 and a gearing of -1 up front and + 2 in the rear (vortex aluminum) and they held up for about 4K miles, and that was alot of 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies. these kits are perfect for stunting as long as you keep some tension and chain wax on the chain. :thumbup: Krum

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I had a 520 kit on my 04 1000 and never had problems with the chain or the sprocket. apprently your boy breaking the teeth didn't have proper chain tension.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.