Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
You guys are wasting money on 93 octane unless you have done some serious engine work. 87 octane is fine. Suzuki doesn't blow millions of $$$ on research and development to find out their 600 runs best on 87 and then have a average Joe street rider think 93 is best. But if pumping in 93 octane psychologically makes your bike run better that have at it. Hell the race fuel we use is 87 octane and I gained 4hp's on the dyno with it.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
you da man said:
You guys are wasting money on 93 octane unless you have done some serious engine work. 87 octane is fine. Suzuki doesn't blow millions of $$$ on research and development to find out their 600 runs best on 87 and then have a average Joe street rider think 93 is best. But if pumping in 93 octane psychologically makes your bike run better that have at it. Hell the race fuel we use is 87 octane and I gained 4hp's on the dyno with it.
true....i get about 150 mi. to a tank with normal riding.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
you da man said:

I gotta say you are wrong here. Read your owners manual. It says to use premium fuell only with a pump octane of 93 or higher.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
scott2t2 said:
not on the 600's. my manual say "87 octane or higher"

Well. In mine it says....The GSXR1000 is designed to run on fuel of no lower than 90 octane. So I was wrong too. It also states to run only premiun fuels only.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
you da man said:
The HP from race fuel is because of the additives, not the Octane.

And you should run the lowest octane you can without pinging.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Main > Auto > ShortStuff

What does octane mean?

If you've read How Car Engines Work, you know that almost all cars use four-stroke gasoline engines. One of the strokes is the compression stroke, where the engine compresses a cylinder-full of air and gas into a much smaller volume before igniting it with a spark plug. The amount of compression is called the compression ratio of the engine. A typical engine might have a compression ratio of 8-to-1. (See How Car Engines Work for details.)

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
skibum91 said:
The HP from race fuel is because of the additives, not the Octane.

And you should run the lowest octane you can without pinging.
I know that :D ...it still is 87 octane though. Just has been oxygenated.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
wickmaster said:
Well. In mine it says....The GSXR1000 is designed to run on fuel of no lower than 90 octane. So I was wrong too. It also states to run only premiun fuels only.
Yep...600's use 87. 750's and 1k's use 90+ octane.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
you da man said:
Yep...600's use 87. 750's and 1k's use 90+ octane.

I thought I was right. It also states not to use oxygenated fuels also.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
scott2t2 said:
right on wick......
I realize the manuel does say not to use oxygenated fuels, however, I had a separate map made for my PCIII for VP Ultimate 4 and I just switch my maps for races and stick to pump gas for trackdays. Also I drained the tank after using U4. Now I have a race only bike so the GSXR 600 is strickly pump gas once again. For what it's worth, my GSXR600 is an 02 with 32,000 miles on it, has never seen the inside of the service dept at a dealership, valves checked regularly and never had to be adjusted, and all this with 30-40 trackdays on it. I love my baby Gix.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Oh yeah, my 00 750 is only getting 120 miles a tank, well, until the gas light starts flashing, is that a little low? That's only like 31 mpg, and I really haven't been riding all that hard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.