Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im kinda brain dead right now and cant remember what its called but you know when you let off the gas and the rpm of the bike slow the bike down? i hope that explains it enough, cause i cant remember what it was called but is there any way i can get rid of that or minimize it? cause honestly its kinda getting on my nerves cause i do alot of city riding and its annoying. ive heard of a slip clutch but i wasnt sure if thats the only way you can get rid of this issue. any help would be great

·
Registered
139 Posts
its called engine breaking and there isnt a whole lot you can do. Other than keep the clutch pulled in and use the brakes or put it in neutral. a lighter fly wheel whould make it worse.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
try staying in a higher gear or something that should limit your engine breaking? Sounds as if your in the low gear at higher speeds and not shifting but staying in that gear to slow down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
engine braking

i mean its just a pain cause alot of my riding is at like 30 mph and theres not much i can do about what gear im in at that low of speed without having to be all over the gears every 20 seconds. i just didnt know if there was any mod i could do to reduce it. ive been reading that the tre would help some but im not to sure how safe it is to do that

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have had the tre done on my 01 1k for allmost a year and havent had any problems with it. I didnt notice any engine breaking diffs in it.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
with bigger CC's bike you can put your bike in a higher gear and just ride around just when its time to get into the bike you can downshift. Smaller bikes you tend to shift more. I went from 750 to 1k and i no way near shift as much as i did on the 750

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
a slipper clutch wont help in that situation at all. It irequires VERY high loads to slip, as in downshifting in a race situation where you might cause the back tire to lock up under engine braking.

A TRE helps a bit, and I have NEVER heard of anyon having a problem with one.

The best bet for you is as stated, dont downshift into first until stopped. As I am decelerating I never hit first until stopped, then I select first to take off again. I am on a 600, and first gears engine braking can be annoying when riding in the city.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
You can always just drill some holes in the tops of your pistons, that will help with engine braking dramatically. And the slipper clutch won't help you out at all, Its only for race applications and its to reduce rear wheel chatter/skipping.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I didnt notice anything with the engine braking out of my tre. twisting the throttle on and off was smoother but the engine braking is still the same for me. i like the engine braking cause i downshift to come to a stop at redlights. i have a 600 and i dont mind all the gear switching. i usually drop it into first at around 15-20 when coming to a redlight and i usually dont have to use the brake till im in 1st gear at lights. I will say, changing the gear ratio gave me some more engine braking so i would think if ur willing to have slower acceleration u can go +1 up front or remove a few in the rear...??? i wouldnt like it though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Holes in the pistons are a brilliant idea! :laughingr Adding a tooth to the front or going down a few in the rear will probably reduce some engine breaking and you wont have to shift as much while ridding, but it will slow your acceleration some, more depending on how drastic you change. Staying in a higher gear will be the easiest and FREE. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
freak_accident said:
I didnt notice anything with the engine braking out of my tre.
Get a switchable one, and you will notice. It is mainly a first gear rolling around the parking lot thing. it was REAL abrupt adn made the nose dive when putting around stock. Now it is smoother to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.