Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently bought a 2001 gsxr 750 as a project. Its been sitting for a few years according to the privies owner. I drained the oil and there was a lot of water in the engine. Pulled the valve cover off to inspect the freeze plugs which look good and don't have any holes in them (bike was in California most of its life). The guy I bought it off of said there were only 7,000 miles on the bike(The internals are spotless like its right off the lot), so I don't really thing the head gasket is blown. I also pulled off the water pump and there was milky oil in there too. Could anyone point me in the right direction to try to find the leak?

·
Super Moderator
10,638 Posts
Welcome. I'm not familiar with that vintage bike but it sounds like a cool project.

Can you tell if it is water or coolant?

If it has been sitting this way for awhile, I'm guessing the oil pan should be pulled. There are plenty of steel parts that should be checked for rust before cranking the engine.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. I'm not familiar with that vintage bike but it sounds like a cool project.

Can you tell if it is water or coolant?

If it has been sitting this way for awhile, I'm guessing the oil pan should be pulled. There are plenty of steel parts that should be checked for rust before cranking the engine.
It was coolant. There was a little surface rust on one of the cams that was able top just wipe off.

·
Super Moderator
10,638 Posts
It was coolant. There was a little surface rust on one of the cams that was able top just wipe off.
I was thinking more of the steel parts on the bottom of the engine that were sitting in the water.

Maybe you could poke a scope through the oil drain hole and see if you need to go further?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Heeey waaait LOL. I totally did this once.
I tore a bike down for powder and it took a few months.
When I put the bike back together I had milky Oil. Freaking out I ordered another engine bored stroked one. Installed it, same issue.
I called dude up and said WTF!? He said no way man that’s a goooood engine.
so I left that oil in, ran it for a few minutes (10-15) and while warm dumped it and added new oil and filter. Issue went away, it seems moisture builds up in the empty case and when you start it up, makes it look like a leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts