Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there im fairly new to the site. I recently bought a 2001 gsxr 750 that had been sitting for quite a few years. It had a rusted out tank when i picked it up, had been sitting for about 8 years.

I started off be removing the tank and getting it all cleaned out. So the tank is all good now, I then replaced the fuel pump with a brand new pump. The fuel line between the tank and injector rail was kinked, so I threw in a piece of high pressure fuel hose as a temporary fix until my oem fuel line arrives in the mail.

I gave the injectors a clean and put it all back together and finally got to hear it start for the first time!
I did some other small maintenance, like brakes and an oil change.

here's where my problem starts.
I got the bike running just fine, and took it for a test ride. just as I was pulling back into the driveway the bike died on me! and I cannot figure out for the life of me what the issue is..
I checked the pump and it is still working, i replaced the spark plugs since they were dirty, and i have just pulled the injectors off to discover that they are still spitting gas out.

Im not sure what the issue is, if anybody has some advice for me that would be greatly appreciated. Im hoping to get the bike ready for my road test by the end of june, but this is a strange setback.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
Welcome.

Is "CHEC" showing in the temperature window?

Is the starter cranking it strong?

Did you check for spark?

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

Did you check for spark?
Yes "CHEC" is being shown.. I thought that was normal for the bike when it wasn't running.. just like how the engine light in a car comes on when the key is in the "ON" position, but not started..

The starter is cranking hard yes, battery is full as well, I made sure of that.

and as far as spark goes, I just replaced the plugs, and I believe they are getting spark. I connected a multimeter to one as it was disconnected and it read 500ohms.. I think I read somewhere that they are supposed to be between 500ohms and 3000ohms, and as plugs get older an acceptable resistance can be 5000ohms

I'm not sure if there is a way that I can physically check for spark..

·
SuperMod of the North
27,955 Posts
To check for spark pull a plug out and plug it back in to the wire. Hold the tip of the spark plug against the engine block to ground it. Only hold the rubber part or you will get a real good zap - ask any one of us how we know. Crank the bike and look for spark. I will typically stick a spare spark plug in the hole while I do it but that is just me and not critical. I don't want to chance sucking crap into the cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
Yes "CHEC" is being shown.. I thought that was normal for the bike when it wasn't running.. just like how the engine light in a car comes on when the key is in the "ON" position, but not started..
No this is not normal if the bike is in a running configuration. (bike in neutral or sidestand up, ignition and kill switch on.). It means that the cluster has not received data from the ECM for a few seconds.

Don't bother checking for spark, you won't have any as long as the ECM is not powered up.

The most common reasons for "CHEC" are:
1. Wrong bike configuration for running.
2. No power to the ECM for some reason. (fuse?)
3. Bad ECM
4. Bad data wire between the cluster and the ECM (unlikely since the bike won't run also)

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
No this is not normal if the bike is in a running configuration. (bike in neutral or sidestand up, ignition and kill switch on.). It means that the cluster has not received data from the ECM for a few seconds.

Don't bother checking for spark, you won't have any as long as the ECM is not powered up.

The most common reasons for "CHEC" are:
1. Wrong bike configuration for running.
2. No power to the ECM for some reason. (fuse?)
3. Bad ECM
4. Bad data wire between the cluster and the ECM (unlikely since the bike won't run also)
\
Won't the kill switch on the right hand side also show this if it's in the off position? Don't ask me how I know LOL

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
\
Won't the kill switch on the right hand side also show this if it's in the off position? Don't ask me how I know LOL
That is why I mentioned it in the first sentence.

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome.

Did you check for spark?
Alright I made a mistake, "CHEC" isn't being shown in the temp window, but F1 is.. or maybe its Fi, I cant tell.
I did check for spark and its there.

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To check for spark pull a plug out and plug it back in to the wire. Hold the tip of the spark plug against the engine block to ground it. Only hold the rubber part or you will get a real good zap - ask any one of us how we know. Crank the bike and look for spark. I will typically stick a spare spark plug in the hole while I do it but that is just me and not critical. I don't want to chance sucking crap into the cylinder.
Thank you for this ! I managed to check for spark and put one of the old plugs in the cylinder to avoid sucking anything in.

Spark is good (y)

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here's pictures I took to help me explain this a little better.. so when the key is on, and kill switch is off (by this I mean its ready to start) it shows the FI code..

now when I flip the kill switch to on (So that the bike will not start) it shows the CHEC code..

I hope this makes sense, so that I can get some more input from you guys. I'm not sure what the FI code is, or what it means..
Could my problem have something to do with the tip over sensor? I pulled it off and gave it a little shake to make sure that it wasn't stuck to one side, then I reinstalled it. 20210609_131934.jpg 20210609_131918.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
"FI" means that the ECM detected a fault.

Search for "GSXR dealer mode" to find out what fault code the ECM has.

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright so I have got the bike in dealer mode now and I'm getting code "-C21"

I'm not sure what this means, or what I can do to troubleshoot this problem. I did have the airbox, fuel pump, and the taillight disconnected when I checked this, I'm not sure if that is critical or not.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Alright so I have got the bike in dealer mode now and I'm getting code "-C21"

I'm not sure what this means, or what I can do to troubleshoot this problem. I did have the airbox, fuel pump, and the taillight disconnected when I checked this, I'm not sure if that is critical or not.
C21 is the air intake sensor. Did you plug it back in after changing the spark plugs and refitting the air box?

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
The intake air temperature sensor as Ozsy mentioned is probably unplugged.

However, that will not keep the bike from starting and running.

You are down to air, fuel, spark and need to find out what is missing. I'd start by checking spark, and if you have spark, spray some starter fluid in the intakes and see if it fires.

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The intake air temperature sensor as Ozsy mentioned is probably unplugged.

However, that will not keep the bike from starting and running.

You are down to air, fuel, spark and need to find out what is missing. I'd start by checking spark, and if you have spark, spray some starter fluid in the intakes and see if it fires.
I've already checked for spark, it's good. i've got the pump taken apart right now again.

·
Registered
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so I plugged that sensor back in and now I'm getting code C00 which I think means there is no code at all. which doesn't make sense because the fuel pump is unplugged right now.. so shouldn't the ecm be giving a code for that fuel pump since it's unplugged?

I've got the pump taken apart right now, checking o rings and cleaning filter,, etc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts