Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike was running fine until it was serviced, and then it developed a strange fault.

In 2nd gear at around 12k rpm it sort of misses, there is a bit of a physical jerk and then it carrys on pulling.

This only happens in 2nd, 1st and 3rd are fine.

Anybody ever had the same problem?

There is a power commander on the bike, but as I said the bike was fine before the service, where all was changed was plugs and oil.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
sounds like it COULD be a tranny problem. Was common for a few years of the 750.

I think with the symptoms you describe it is coincidence that the service just happened.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
It sounds exactly like the problem almost every other 2000 750 had. The dogs on 2nd gear get rounded and start to slip when you are full power. You have to replace the 2nd and 6th (I think) gears to fix the problem. If you got the extended warrenty it should cover it, you might even be able to get the shop to fix it because its a very well known problem.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
THIS IS A REPLY I RECENTLY POSTED ON GIXXER.COM TO A GUY WITH A SIMILAR PROBLEM!!! It is not really directed at you, but could be helpfull

I wouldd say NO you ar not responsible.

I AM A MECHANIC.

There usually is a estimate fee for small estimates (ours is $45 for something that will take less than an hour to diagnose) and a teardown estimate fee (ours is $110 if we had to disassemble the bike to see what is wrong).

BOTH go back into the cost of the labor if you have the work done on the bike. BUT the teardown one DOES NOT get put back together if you refuse service. This is made known up front, and usually is not a problem, considering it will have to be taken back apart eventually.

$1060 is also a bit high for a gearbox repair. In general it is about 8 hours work (we charge $50 an hour so $400 labor) And the parts are less than $200 I believe.

Part Number: 24321-39F01
Description: GEAR,2ND DRIVEN
Price: $50.37

Part Number: 24361-39F00
Description: GEAR,6TH DRIVEN
Price: $60.71

Part Number: 24322-35F00
Description: BUSH,2ND DRIVEN
Price: $8.19

Part Number: 25231-35F00
Description: FORK, GEAR SHIF <------ * I AM NOT SURE THIS IS THE RIGHT FORK*
Price: $38.12

And then there will be 4 qts of oil, an oil filter, and the gasket kit (about $150 total I think)

You should NOT be resobonsible for ANY labor for the clutch repair. They should always offer to save old parts for you also.

You might be responsible for SOME of the dissasembly, and they should at least get it in a rolling condition for you to tranport if you decline service. They should also have had a round about figure for you BEFORE you ok'd further estimates. Any competent mechaninc should have been able to ride the bike and tell wheather it was the clutch or gearbox EASILY and informed you from there what would more than likely need to bem done (AS I JUST DID)

--------------------

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmmm...

Thanks for responding......

Sounds worse than I originally thought...

I spoke to a suzuki service mechanic from Daytona in London, and he didn't think that it could be a mechanical gear issue, put thought it might be dodgy plugs !!.

What exactly was the problem with 2 + 6th gears on the gsxr ?

I tested the bike again yesterday and the problem happened once at 7k, once at 10k, but mainly around 12k.

When it happens the bike sort of misses/cough's and then pulls through.

Is this the standard gear box problem ?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
If its a coughing sputtering type of problem then no its not the gearbox, it could be plugs, FI or Mapping.

The Gear box problem happens in 2nd gear only when on the gas hard it lurchs really bad, but no coughing at all. Its just a jerky forward to back motion because its slipping in and out of gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2k 750

"sounds like a bent fork with 2 nd gear"

that sucks...any idea what I'm looking at spending or what I'd need to do it myself?

Thanks for your help btw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts