Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a k5 1000, got it serviced, plugs and air filter change, injectors cleaned etc. but I noticed when accelerating hard and at high rpm’s the bike has like a fuel cut, have to let off and accelerate slow to get to high rpm’s. Wondering if it’s the fuel pump ? It has a pc3 to wonder if it’s a bad map it has ? Don’t want to be guessing changing stuff. If anyone has this happened to them?

· Administrator
12,442 Posts
^ What Chuck said. it is likely a fuel pressure/volume issue and the fuel pump pressure and volume inspection in the service manual will either confirm or exclude it as the issue.

· Registered
K6 GSX-R 1000 / 98 GSX-R 750 SRAD / Prior may she rest in pieces 2015 Hyabosa
18 Posts
I also agree with the guys! Another thing you might want to look at I have been seeing alot of PC3's throttle positions messed up on them and the program will not allow them to go to 100% throttle.

· Registered
1 Posts
So I just bought a k5 1000, got it serviced, plugs and air filter change, injectors cleaned etc. but I noticed when accelerating hard and at high rpm’s the bike has like a fuel cut, have to let off and accelerate slow to get to high rpm’s. Wondering if it’s the fuel pump ? It has a pc3 to wonder if it’s a bad map it has ? Don’t want to be guessing changing stuff. If anyone has this happened to them?
I had the same issue with my 04 750. The short version is that my fuel pump flow test while still in the tank was pathetic. But when I removed it from the assembly and did a bench test, it flowed within spec. That told me that the problem was in the in-tank filter. Not the sock filter at the pump inlet but the filter in the black plastic housing that the pump mounts into. It is VERY expensive so I did a hot sonic cleaning, backflushed it with compressed air, then backflushed with water from the garden hose and a final time with air. I then put it all back together in the tank and tested it with (sacrificial) gas again. It flowed great! This method cleaned out a noticeable amount of crap from the filter!

· Administrator
12,442 Posts
I had the same issue with my 04 750. The short version is that my fuel pump flow test while still in the tank was pathetic. But when I removed it from the assembly and did a bench test, it flowed within spec. That told me that the problem was in the in-tank filter. Not the sock filter at the pump inlet but the filter in the black plastic housing that the pump mounts into. It is VERY expensive so I did a hot sonic cleaning, backflushed it with compressed air, then backflushed with water from the garden hose and a final time with air. I then put it all back together in the tank and tested it with (sacrificial) gas again. It flowed great! This method cleaned out a noticeable amount of crap from the filter!
Yes, the high pressure filter being blocked has not been uncommon as these bikes get older. And the replacement is expensive ($300ish).
I like the ultrasonic idea but would not use compressed air or water when back flushing. It is just a pleated paper filter so you risk damaging it. A filter with a hole in it will flow great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts