Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys recently bought a L8 600 gsxr with only 380 miles and been having a issue where the bike won’t wot pass 12k rpm. Recently had a shop change spark plugs,fuel pump,fuel pump filter, fuel regulator and cleaned out injectors and it still acting the same. I’m pretty stuck on what it could bring how it’s so low miles. Bike only has a M4 slip on. Idles smooth and drives smooth until WOT. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
11,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Has the shop given up?

What specifically does it do when it gets to 12k rpm?

One quick guess. Lift the tank and find the fuel hose. Watch it as you lower the tank and make sure it is not kinking. This problem pops up from time to time when the fitting on the tank does not swivel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
S
Welcome to the forum.

Has the shop given up?

One quick guess. Lift the tank and find the fuel hose. Watch it as you lower the tank and make sure it is not kinking. This problem pops up from time to time when the fitting on the tank does not swivel.
[/QUOTE
Welcome to the forum.

Has the shop given up?

No the shop didn’t give up he test drove it and it was fine. On the way home it was driving fine pulled amazing but then started acting up.
I’ll do WOT and the rpm needle will literally just sit at 12k rpm or so, could get some go pro footage tonight when I take it to work.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Why would I ride with the gas tank open just generally wondering?
So there are three hoses under tank. Most thickness is fuel supply line. Less diameter is tank overflow drainage, and most thin is tank ventilation. If you bent the vent hose or it be clogged the tank will collect vacuum when fuel flowing out and it will lowering fuel pressure, so max power goes unreachable, as your issue. When you open tank cap you prevent making vacuum in tank in case of vent hose was bent or clogged.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So there are three hoses under tank. Most thickness is fuel supply line. Less diameter is tank overflow drainage, and most thin is tank ventilation. If you bent the vent hose or it be clogged the tank will collect vacuum when fuel flowing out and it will lowering fuel pressure, so max power goes unreachable, as your issue. When you open tank cap you prevent making vacuum in tank in case of vent hose was bent or clogged.
I’ll have to give it a try didn’t think of it tbh.I’ll have to see how to leave it a bit open so gas doesn’t come out.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
It's a 2018, and you/someone threw all that parts changing money already? I hope you find it soon.
Even on my track days, I RARELY go to 12K rpm's though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a 2018, and you/someone threw all that parts changing money already? I hope you find it soon.
Even on my track days, I RARELY go to 12K rpm's though.
Yea man I just barely bought it 2 months ago and just been giving me issue. My 750 never acted once on me. It idles/ cruises fine but once you get on it just acts funny..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey man so did what you said and it’s still not passing even 9k rpm.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Do you actually mean 'with only 380 miles'?

You mean it is a 'new' old bike?

It may well still have its running-in oil in and you'll be totally wrecking it doing that to it.

If I were Suzuki, I'd programme the ECU to stop people doing that. Maybe it is Suzuki being cleverer about it than you are being?

Is there a circle on the dash display with a zigzag lightning symbol in it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you actually mean 'with only 380 miles'?

You mean it is a 'new' old bike?

It may well still have its running-in oil in and you'll be totally wrecking it doing that to it.

If I were Suzuki, I'd programme the ECU to stop people doing that. Maybe it is Suzuki being cleverer about it than you are being?

Is there a circle on the dash display with a zigzag lightning symbol in it?
Yes the bike is new to me but I guess a old bike 2018 with literally 380 miles on it. Previous owners literally just let the bike sit. Previous owners said he changed the oil but I really doubt that would be making the bike not pass certain rpm. But I’ll have to check here in a few on my lunch break about that lighting symbol.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You really don't want to be razzing it over 8k until you've put a few 1,000 miles on it. I don't know what Suzuki's recommendation is, but I would urge you to be patient and not wreck what's basically a great, arguably the best, brand new sports-road bike you could ever get.

If you think it is not pulling OK under 8k at half throttle then maybe there is something not right with it, but if it is pulling happily and clean, just be nice to it. It's not a plastic Christmas toy, it's a refined piece of Japanese quality engineering made to extremely high tolerances for track racing, and you have to let the highly stressed mechanical bits bet in nicely before loading them up.

If the oil has been changed, that's not great either, because again the oil is a carefully chosen composition to help that bedding in process. The sorts of damage done to an engine at this stage can add up to $$$$ repair work in the future.

Follow the Suzuki running-in text, and better still be even more gentle than that if you want the bike to last, fault free, because Suzuki know new buyers want to get on it so they aim to be 'generous' and explore the bike. I would wager the 12k is programmed into the ECU to stop you doing that. Ride it to 600 miles super gently, below 8k, when I think the running in oil is due to be swapped out, and then change the oil. Do it again after another 600, given what's happened to it, this is just my suggestion, FWIW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You really don't want to be razzing it over 8k until you've put a few 1,000 miles on it. I don't know what Suzuki's recommendation is, but I would urge you to be patient and not wreck what's basically a great, arguably the best, brand new sports-road bike you could ever get.

If you think it is not pulling OK under 8k at half throttle then maybe there is something not right with it, but if it is pulling happily and clean, just be nice to it. It's not a plastic Christmas toy, it's a refined piece of Japanese quality engineering made to extremely high tolerances for track racing, and you have to let the highly stressed mechanical bits bet in nicely before loading them up.

If the oil has been changed, that's not great either, because again the oil is a carefully chosen composition to help that bedding in process. The sorts of damage done to an engine at this stage can add up to $$$$ repair work in the future.

Follow the Suzuki running-in text, and better still be even more gentle than that if you want the bike to last, fault free, because Suzuki know new buyers want to get on it so they aim to be 'generous' and explore the bike. I would wager the 12k is programmed into the ECU to stop you doing that. Ride it to 600 miles super gently, below 8k, when I think the running in oil is due to be swapped out, and then change the oil. Do it again after another 600, given what's happened to it, this is just my suggestion, FWIW.
Just weird because my 750 never acted like this one bit but it is a low mile bike. I’ll definitely ride it more I hit 400 miles today.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Do you mean this is break-in period limitation, programmed in ECU? So wondering.
Yes.

I suspect Suzuki would specify 8krpm to 600 miles, then change the oil. There might be a rev limitation recommended for the next 1,000 miles after that too. Read the manual, I don't have one for L8 600.

My L0 750, which I think will be much the same as today's 600 (my 750 has higher rpm limit than the subsequent 750 model, due to emissions and such I guess) says;-

Font Document Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes.

I suspect Suzuki would specify 8krpm to 600 miles, then change the oil. There might be a rev limitation recommended for the next 1,000 miles after that too. Read the manual, I don't have one for L8 600.

My L0 750, which I think will be much the same as today's 600 (my 750 has higher rpm limit than the subsequent 750 model, due to emissions and such I guess) says;-

View attachment 298662
This is RECOMMENDATION for break-in period. I don't want to believe Suzuki made it mandatory. It is too naggy. Also they should keep mileage in ECU non-volatile memory for do this.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts