Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
"... butterfly valves/throttle body .... just removed them completely."

vague at best, and the secondaries are there for a very precise reason. Does one also get rid of the secondary injectors too, then?

Sure, if they are not actuating cleanly, but would that not flag an error message?
Had sputtering problem at high rpms removed my butterfly plates and bikes runs perfect, didn’t affect performance.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Had sputtering problem at high rpms removed my butterfly plates and bikes runs perfect, didn’t affect performance.
The issue being the bike is not even run in yet, still on manufacturers 'run-in' oil.

Was your bike still running in before you did something like that to it?

I still think the recommendation has to be to carry on a run-in process, keep below 8k rpm, change the oil out when it is specified, and see how it works out. Revving to 12k rpm at low mileage may well have damaged the engine, why would Suzuki recommend not to do that if there was no harm in it?

Showing some mechanical sympathy towards one's machine is the first step in riding it well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The issue being the bike is not even run in yet, still on manufacturers 'run-in' oil.

Was your bike still running in before you did something like that to it?

I still think the recommendation has to be to carry on a run-in process, keep below 8k rpm, change the oil out when it is specified, and see how it works out. Revving to 12k rpm at low mileage may well have damaged the engine, why would Suzuki recommend not to do that if there was no harm in it?

Showing some mechanical sympathy towards one's machine is the first step in riding it well.
what year is the bike? Electric's still get old and corrode regardless of milage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you dyno run before/after?
As long as it power wheelies in 1st and 2nd it’s good enough for me. Don’t need the butterflies raining on my parade. It might affect city riding, which I never do, I always keep my baby screaming. Most race teams disable the stva and keep their butterflies opens at all times to avoid them malfunctioning during a race. Who really cares how your motorcycle performs at a red traffic light?

·
Registered
380 Posts
STV system designed for better power gain at low end and middle range revs so it most important for city drive and heavy traffic. Remove stv will bring terrible power reaction on low end revs range acceleration and low speed driving. Menwhile well working STV system bring best power and acceleration on very wide rev range gsxr has.

·
Registered
25 Posts
STV is for better power gain at low end and middle range revs so it most important for city drive and heavy traffic. Remove stv will bring terrible power reaction on low end revs range acceleration and low speed driving.
Really only affects people who ride below 3000 rpm. Once throttle is pinned their job is to fully open. Hasn’t affected my low end performance. These bikes are made for screaming not putting along. Why deal with a malfunctioning stva? It’s only job is to break down and hurt your pockets. I say remove the plates and be done with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
STV system designed for better power gain at low end and middle range revs so it most important for city drive and heavy traffic. Remove stv will bring terrible power reaction on low end revs range acceleration and low speed driving. Menwhile well working STV system bring best power and acceleration on very wide rev range gsxr has.
That’s why most ama race teams completely disable the stva?

·
Registered
239 Posts
We don't ride on the race track, we need bikes that can come to a stop and ride off again. Hence we have the secondaries. Else one can stall the intake pressure.

Just because something is good on a track doesn't make it right on the road.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I guess if you enjoy racing red light to red light.
It's nothing to do with that. If you open the throttles up without the secondary control you risk increasing the manifold pressure and lean off the mixture too much and the thing can stall or not accelerate or whatever. That is the 'penalty' for having huge intake bores, and that is what all that 'crap' (I presume you think it is?) Suzuki put on there is there to fix.

If Suzuki are dumb enough to include useless secondary throttles for no purpose whatsoever that you can just take them off, then maybe don't buy Suzukis if you think they don't know how to make bikes.

IF the secondaries on the OP's bike are not working right then the answer is to fix them. Advice to remove them completely is the wrong advice, unless you know for sure all the OP wants to do is get up to high speed (badly) and then remain there for the entirety of their ride.

·
Mod of the North
30,118 Posts
Really only affects people who ride below 3000 rpm. Once throttle is pinned their job is to fully open. Hasn’t affected my low end performance. These bikes are made for screaming not putting along. Why deal with a malfunctioning stva? It’s only job is to break down and hurt your pockets. I say remove the plates and be done with it.
I would disagree. Yes, these bikes are “race replicas” - street legal bikes with race bike power and ability. They are not however, manufactured for race purposes and require additional systems and de-tuning to make them street rideable. They need to perform well under 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Because they dont need an idle
like I said before. Removed my butterflies, bike runs flawless on the low end and the peace of mind of eliminating the dreaded stva failure on these bikes is priceless. Hey, if someone wants to throw away $1000 on a whole new throttle body, or risk buying an after market stva off eBay and risk getting junk. To each their own. I think Suzuki installed this part just to generate extra income knowing they would fail eventually.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Haven’t had any adverse affects on my bottom end. I ride Gsxr 750 and school 1000’s on the bottom end. Stva is just a myth, a cash generating part for Suzuki. If it fails they won’t sell you the part alone, you would have to dish out over $1000 for a whole new throttle body assembly. Hope it’s worth the smooth city ride.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts