Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06/'07 600/750 shock on my 300 Ninja. These are quite popular on the Ninjettes and others. I saw a post somewhere that inferred that an '03/'04 1000 spring could be used for a softer ride with an adapter collar. I've done several shock swaps on other bikes. My SV650 has ZX10, Ninja 250 has early Ninja 600 both of which work great. I'll be 75 the 15th and my old carcass needs softening on the 300. I can't afford a new aftermarket spring but ebay shocks are doable. Thanx, Guzzi John-Old CRA racer

·
SuperMod of the North
27,955 Posts
You are talking about the rear only or front and back? You might be able to soften up the existing shock. Reducing preload will provide a softer ride. Backing off the threaded rings a little bit results in less force (preload) being applied to the spring. Less force being stored mechanically like that means it takes less force to initiate movement. The 600/750 shock being installed on a lighter tail assembly may mean part of your body weight has gone to compensate for the lighter tail and the remainder is not enough to compress the spring at the correct rate.

First check your sag measurement. Sag is how much the bike drops when you sit on it. With a friend get the back wheel with no weight on it and measure from the tail to the axle. Next sit on it and take the same measurement. For street riding 30mm difference is a good goal. 35 or 40mm will be a softer ride, back off the adjuster rings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but I'm asking specific question on use of '03/'04 1000 spring on my '06/'07 600/750 shock body.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,955 Posts
My bad. Thought you were looking for a set up for it. Now that I read more carefully I also see you are an ex-CRA racer as well...you already know how to set up sag...

I don't have much for you except could you use a 600 collar trimmed and under the 1000 collar if diameter is the issue? It would mean your preload adjuster rings would be farther down the shock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, problem solved. Bought ebay shock $30 delivered. Spring fits nice. Slightly larger id but slide 1000 plastic sleeve over 600/750 one works perfect. Can't wait to try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts