Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching trying to find what the diameter of the steering stems are on the various models. Is there some place where these measurements can be found? Thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Good question. I belive some use a 25mm hole in the top tripple, and some use a 28mm hole. I dont know if this means the bottom is the same also? I think its more the newer bikes that use the 28mm, 06+ 600/750's, but im not positive. Wish I could help ya more but Im kinda researching the same thing to find out what kinda front end can be easily swapped onto my 03' 750.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's helpful, I believe most new bikes come with the same measurement top and bottom. Trying to determine when and to what size these measurements changed. I was able to find somewhere that the size changed in 06 for the 600/750 but no mention as to what size. On my CB550 its an odd 30 lower 25 upper. So it sounds like the older models is where I should look into.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ya I think the 600/750's used the 25mm upper till 05. I think the 1000's used it till 04'. Youll also have to decide what brakes you want. In 03'+ 1000's and 04'+ 6/7's went to radial mount calipers. The older bikes use the regular mount calipers, whatever they call them. The 600's didnt go to inverted forks till 04', so if you want inverted forks pay no attention to pre 04' 600 parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be using a laced wheel so the further out the calipers are the better to avoid contact with the spokes. non radial rotor length in these years is 320mm I believe and radial 300mm. No idea how this affects caliper position though. Do the radial calipers sit further out than the non radial?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sotto

Has any one tryed the Sotto piping yet. My Fauther in law is a race mechanic and he says that that pipe put out more horse power on the 600 than any othe pipe change. Thoughts Comments?

·
Registered
552 Posts
The non-radial calipers would be easy to shim outward to move them away from the wheel if you had to. The 00-03 6/7's and 01-02 1000's used 320mm rotors. 04-05 6/7's and 03-04 1000's (I think) used 300mm. 05+ 1000 and 06+ 6/7's all use 310mm rotors I belive.

I dont really see you having any problems clearing the laced wheels any more than a stock gixxer wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After further research looking at bearing sizes for different models, they all use the same 30x55x17 bearing, so they all have a 30mm i.d. measurement at the bearing location. The size of the fitting into the top tree appears to change. Just wanted to add this for anyone who might look into this later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.