Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have an 04 gsxr 600 that doesn’t like to start in neutral. It seems to start fine in first gear but when it’s in neutral (and the clutch is pulled in/kick stand up) nothing happens and i have to hit the starter button several times. If it’s in gear, it fires right up. I appreciate any help, i am almost mechanically illiterate.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I think we can assume the kickstand switch is ok, otherwise you'd have issues with it running in gear. With the kickstand up, the gear position sensor is pretty much eliminated from the mix. Honestly, it doesn't make sense.

So, is the starter not turning, or is it just not firing up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres
I think we can assume the kickstand switch is ok, otherwise you'd have issues with it running in gear. With the kickstand up, the gear position sensor is pretty much eliminated from the mix. Honestly, it doesn't make sense.

So, is the starter not turning, or is it just not firing up?
After the fuel primer turns i hit the starter and then nothing... if i hit 4 or 5 times it fires up. If i try it in 1st it fires up the first time

·
Premium Member
8,361 Posts
Yes, the first post did not make sense to me either. After your last post, I would suspect the clutch safety switch.

It is located under the clutch lever pivot bolt and when you pull the lever back, it releases a button on the switch. Take a look and see if it is being fully released.

I know this does not explain why it always starts while in gear, but this is what I would check first. The other suspect would be the starter switch itself, but some of the symptoms you laid out don't exactly align.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips guys!! I’m thinking it’s the clutch safety switch and i just happened to be in gear when it engages/works. I’ll let you all know, thanks again!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SOLVED!!! So the issue was the clutch safety switch after all. I’m rollin happy again, thanks so much for all your help guys!!!

·
Premium Member
8,361 Posts
SOLVED!!! So the issue was the clutch safety switch after all. I’m rollin happy again, thanks so much for all your help guys!!!
Glad you got it fixed. Safe riding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, how did you fix it? Did you clean it or replace it? Theres another person on the other site with similar problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts