Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I changed the stator on my bike recently and was riding my buddies bike while waiting for the stator to arrive, I installed it and took the bike for a spin and it feels like it’s shifting harder(feels harder to put in to gears, all of them) not sure if I’m just not used to it because I haven’t ridden it in a week or if somethings wrong, or maybe this is normal not sure.

also when the bike is off and just sitting on its kickstand cold, and I try and shift thru the gears it sometimes won’t engage in the gear unless I roll back a little bit, is that normal?
please help

·
SuperMod of the North
26,539 Posts
What year and model do you have?

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
Welcome.

Yes, the model and year would help.

Is it hard to find neutral?

Did you take off the front sprocket cover also? Most models have the clutch release mechanism in there and you might have disturbed the adjustment.

As far as your last paragraph, perfectly normal. The transmissions are not made to engage while they are not moving.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,539 Posts
Was wondering the same thing John. If the shift lever was removed it may not be aligned properly. The shift levers need to be 90 deg to the shift rod or it will shift hard and neutral is harder to find. Easy mistake, but easy fix.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Also, if the motor is off, it really hard to shift into any gears without the shafts turning? NOt sure what happened while it's running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome.

Yes, the model and year would help.

Is it hard to find neutral?

Did you take off the front sprocket cover also? Most models have the clutch release mechanism in there and you might have disturbed the adjustment.

As far as your last paragraph, perfectly normal. The transmissions are not made to engage while they are not moving.
It’s a 2006 gsxr 600, I haven’t taken the front sprocket cover off. Just changed the stator and put everything back in and back together, it’s not hard to find neutral just feels like metal on metal almost but I’m not sure, even tho I changed the oil and filled it back up, I might just be scaring myself

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
It’s a 2006 gsxr 600, I haven’t taken the front sprocket cover off. Just changed the stator and put everything back in and back together, it’s not hard to find neutral just feels like metal on metal almost but I’m not sure, even tho I changed the oil and filled it back up, I might just be scaring myself
If it is not hard to find neutral, the clutch adjustment should be fine as the clutch is not dragging.

The only other thing to do is lubricate the shifter lever pivot point and make sure it is adjusted for the boots you are wearing. Sometimes people have the lever set too high which makes upshifts harder and less solid.

Your stator change should not have changed anything.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Are you the original owner? Have you ever moved the shifter? Is it GP or standard shift? Does it have a chain and sprocket kit? Is it easier to shift up or down? What oil is in it, and when the bike is straight up and down is the oil level visible from the sight glass?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am the second owner, shifter hasn’t been changed, it’s normal shift not gp and I’d say it’s about the same going up and down

1 - 9 of 9 Posts