Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the site, and alot of great info.

Have a k1 600 that had a bad second gear problem, long story short, I ended up changing motors b/c it would be cheaper. Or so I thought.

What the problem is, The new motor I bought looks like it has a leaky head gasket, externally. Its just below #4 header. The guy I bought it off says the motor only has 3200 km on it, but it has been sitting in his garage since 03. You can tell the motor has low km, being so clean.

I was a little hesitant to buy the motor in the first place, being it sat around for 6 years. but the old motor had 37000km on it, and it was a little tired.
I was just wondering if anyone has seen an external leak? I read on another post that it could possibly be a hose leaking, tricking me into thinking its a head gasket? I am going to do a cooling system pressure test, Anyone know how long its supposed to hold what pressure? I think I read 17 psi, but noting on how long.

Thanks for any replys.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Try and advanced internet search for a pdf file of instructions for the test. Yahoo and google have right besides the place you put text the wording of advanced search. Just click that and make sure you pick pdf in the drop down box for file type.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Make sure it's actually a head gasket. There is a cooling hose on the head, accessible by raising the tank that can run off to the head gasket area if it's leaking, making it LOOK like a head gasket leak. Find it and see if that's your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention that the bike was a write off, the stator cover was scratched. Could it be possible the head had warped b/c of the location of the engine mount?

I am going to search now about the test. thanks

Going to look for the leaky hose, hopefully thats all it is.

Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think the bike would of had to be wrecked BADDD in order to warp the head. Iv never payed close enough attention to my K3 to notice if the motor mount attatches to the head or the cylinder block. I would think the engine mount/bolt would be the weaker link and would break before it started to warp any part of the engine, but I gues stranger shit could happen, who knows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.