Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2007 GSXR 600 and my first night ride heading home from work, my headlight went out. I turned on my hi-beams and they worked fine to get me back home. I have seen other discussions about people with the same issue and a lot are saying to look at replacing the start switch. Should I start with that or look at the wires first? The light will go in and out or stay on for my whole ride or shut off right after I start the bike. It has a mind of its own. Any suggestions?

·
SuperMod of the North
26,685 Posts
It sounds like a bad ground to me. I am not sure on your bike but the headlights on mine are on a sub harness with a big plug to attach to the main harness. That is where I would look.

Pop apart the connectors and look for rusted or corroded pins. Get a little di-electric grease and put a dab in there before you put them back together. Keeps water out and helps prevent corrosion.

Reactions: Loehnert12

·
Super Moderator
9,212 Posts
I'm assuming from your post that the low beam is not out but intermittent and the high beam works consistently?

Based on those assumptions, it is not your start switch. It controls both lights so if the high beam is working fine, the switch is fine.

I believe you are chasing an intermittent connection or high/low beam switch.

Easy things first. Can you flip the high/low beam switch back and forth and get it to act up?

Next check the low beam fuse for condition and corrosion. Next make sure the bulb is not loose in the socket (don't touch the bulb with your bare hands)

There are more areas but these are the simple ones.

If it helps, power comes from the ignition switch to the start switch, to the high/low switch, to separate fuses then to the bulbs. They share the same ground.

Reactions: Loehnert12

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm assuming from your post that the low beam is not out but intermittent and the high beam works consistently?

Based on those assumptions, it is not your start switch. It controls both lights so if the high beam is working fine, the switch is fine.

I believe you are chasing an intermittent connection or high/low beam switch.

Easy things first. Can you flip the high/low beam switch back and forth and get it to act up?

Next check the low beam fuse for condition and corrosion. Next make sure the bulb is not loose in the socket (don't touch the bulb with your bare hands)

There are more areas but these are the simple ones.

If it helps, power comes from the ignition switch to the start switch, to the high/low switch, to separate fuses then to the bulbs. They share the same ground.
I can’t get the hi-beam to act up at all. It works perfectly fine. I was starting to think it’s a wire connection because the headlight is intermittent and comes on and off randomly. Although, when it is on, I wiggle all the wires and move the handle bars back and forth and the light stays on. So I’m not too sure at this point but I do need to just redo the wiring it looks like. One of the previous owners did the wiring themselves so it’s definitely not perfect or pretty.

·
Super Moderator
9,212 Posts
I would go towards the bulb socket and adapter as wiggling wires won't change that.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Someone 're - wired' the headlights? Ruh-Roh

·
Registered
416 Posts
On the 1000's of that era there's a large connector between the main and forward harnesses that sits in the left front cowling. It isn't sealed, instead it's in a plastic shroud. It's well known for developing bad contacts. Suzuki finally changed to a sealed connector there in 2009. I'm betting that yours uses the same shrouded connector. Find it, pull the halves apart, and look for corrosion. Yours could be different but the low beam supply might be W on the main harness connecting to B/Br on the front harness.

"One of the previous owners did the wiring themselves so it’s definitely not perfect or pretty."
Unfortunately when that happens just about anything is possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently bought a 2007 GSXR 600 and my first night ride heading home from work, my headlight went out. I turned on my hi-beams and they worked fine to get me back home. I have seen other discussions about people with the same issue and a lot are saying to look at replacing the start switch. Should I start with that or look at the wires first? The light will go in and out or stay on for my whole ride or shut off right after I start the bike. It has a mind of its own. Any suggestions?
It’s definitely the wire on the start switch. I had both like out on and off.. I solder the lose wire back and my lights has worked ever since

·
Super Moderator
9,212 Posts
It’s definitely the wire on the start switch. I had both like out on and off.. I solder the lose wire back and my lights has worked ever since
Welcome.

The reason it is definitely not the wire to the start switch is because, unlike your problem, only his low beam was acting up.

If it was the wire or the start switch then both low and high beam would be affected. A quick look at the wiring diagram will confirm this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome.

The reason it is definitely not the wire to the start switch is because, unlike your problem, only his low beam was acting up.

If it was the wire or the start switch then both low and high beam would be affected. A quick look at the wiring diagram will confirm this.
Yeah, you’re right. Thought both his light went out randomly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts