Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 750. I have problem with heating since the day i bought it. I replaced thermo, liquid, cleaned coolant system, mostly everything but the problem remains. It is going up to 110 degrees celsious which is not the problem since this is a sports bike, the problem is it is not cooling down the temperature, fan working all the time and it is not cooling that much till i go and then the wind cooles down the bike. On still fan will be working for 10 minutes and keepeng the temperature arroung 102-105. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Could be plugged or partially plugged lines in the radiator restricting coolant flow.

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Welcome.

The bike is programmed to turn on the fan at 105 C then back off at 100 C.

If I let my bike (K6 750 also) idle, it will go to 105 C, the fan will come on, the temperature may go up another degree or two then steadily go down till the fan goes off at 100 C then the cycle repeats. This normal.

Does your bike do the same?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Where are you? Is that flag Bosnia–Herzegovina? If so your climate is mild enough that you shouldn't see 110 C. John will know better but I'd expect it to normally be about 80 C when moving and rising to 105 C when stopped, at which point the fan will turn on and rapidly bring it down to 100 C.

Check your radiator for bent fins. Feel the radiator for cold zones. Better yet, measure it in many places with an infrared temperature gun. Remove and test the thermostat (jiggle valve should be located on top). Any chance that your oil cooler is clogged or that the water pump impeller is damaged? Can you see any deposits through the radiator cap opening? Is any of your inner cowling missing?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome.

The bike is programmed to turn on the fan at 105 C then back off at 100 C.

If I let my bike (K6 750 also) idle, it will go to 105 C, the fan will come on, the temperature may go up another degree or two then steadily go down till the fan goes off at 100 C then the cycle repeats. This normal.

Does your bike do the same?
yes i know that, but the problem is that the bike is not cooling down to 100, it is keeping it about 103-104 all the time on still

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
yes i know that, but the problem is that the bike is not cooling down to 100, it is keeping it about 103-104 all the time on still
That is a better explanation.

As billv asked, what is the outside air temperature?

Since the bike cools down when you ride, my guess would be a weak fan or possibly the fins on the radiator where the fan is mounted are bent or dirty.

I seem to remember that I can feel my fan blowing almost a meter behind it when the bike is parked and the fan is running.

One other guess. The bike puts out very little amps from the charging system at idle so it really depends on the battery to carry the load when the big draw of the fan kicks in. A good battery is important. You might check the battery voltage at idle with the fan running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a better explanation.

As billv asked, what is the outside air temperature?

Since the bike cools down when you ride, my guess would be a weak fan or possibly the fins on the radiator where the fan is mounted are bent or dirty.

I seem to remember that I can feel my fan blowing almost a meter behind it when the bike is parked and the fan is running.

One other guess. The bike puts out very little amps from the charging system at idle so it really depends on the battery to carry the load when the big draw of the fan kicks in. A good battery is important. You might check the battery voltage at idle with the fan running.
Checked voltage, new battery, radiator in a good condition, outside temperature was yesterday about 22 degres not too hot. I have a friend with same bike and the difference in the bike temps
is almost 10 degres. Can it be engine head ( bike is not losing coolant ) ?

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Yes, 22C (about 70F) is a pretty cool day.

Personally, I would not find a 10C (less than 20F) difference between two similar bikes to be a problem.

Reactions: RockerGuy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, 22C (about 70F) is a pretty cool day.

Personally, I would not find a 10C (less than 20F) difference between two similar bikes to be a problem.
on the very hot day, fan is turning on even when i am riding about 50 kmh.

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Sorry, I thought you said it cooled off well while riding. So it stays over 100C while riding on a hot day?

I've tracked my K6 750 on 38C+ (100F+) days with WOT to 120mph+ every 30 seconds or so and it would stay around 102C (215F) steady.so the fan would not come on.

You are back to a coolant circulation or airflow problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry, airflow problem? I checked all houses, radiator, thermo, coolant, everything. Still, the same. Can it be engine head or gaskets? Last summer on a very hot day about 35 degrees, i was on the highway cruising in abot 120-130 kmh and temperature was 107-108 with fab working all the time

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Could the thermostat be installed backwards? Pure guess based on nothing but a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
On a warm day (35C) my k7 600 would run below 99C when moving. Same on a hot day (45+C). In slow/stop-start traffic on warm and hot days it would cycle between 105-107 and 99 as the fan kicked in and out.

Is your bike difficult to start when hot or cold?

Does it blow coolant out of the overflow pipe at all?

IIRC, you said you can see movement with the rad cap off - is this the case when the coolant/temp reading is hot? You probably want to let the bike warm up with the cap off if you need to check this. Don’t under any circumstance take the cap off the radiator when the coolant is hot.

I suspect the water pump, water pump shaft or thermostat.

If you don’t have any mixing of oil and water in either the radiator or sump I doubt your head gasket is faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
sorry, airflow problem? I checked all houses, radiator, thermo, coolant, everything. Still, the same. Can it be engine head or gaskets? Last summer on a very hot day about 35 degrees, i was on the highway cruising in abot 120-130 kmh and temperature was 107-108 with fab working all the time
Air flow problem as in bent and damaged fins on the radiator. My K6 does not look great from all the rocks and sand hitting it but still does fine. I've heard stories where people have pressure washed the bikes and bent all the fins over so it does happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, i have a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 750. I have problem with heating since the day i bought it. I replaced thermo, liquid, cleaned coolant system, mostly everything but the problem remains. It is going up to 110 degrees celsious which is not the problem since this is a sports bike, the problem is it is not cooling down the temperature, fan working all the time and it is not cooling that much till i go and then the wind cooles down the bike. On still fan will be working for 10 minutes and keepeng the temperature arroung 102-105. thanks
could be air in coolant system

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
there is no air in the system, today my temperature was 105 even when i am going about 80 kmh, something is not right

1 - 20 of 39 Posts