Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike couple months from this dealership, and I also bought some gear from them as well. I know I probably should have checked but the excitement of a bike got the best of me. Anyway so I was looking at my helmet yesterday cus it’s a 2x and it fits super loose now. I see a tag that says March 2013. Buddy of mine tells me they should have sold me that helmet do it expiring. I’ve read things saying 5-7 years is manufactures suggestion on replacing. So I called the shop n told them and the guy told me it’s fine. That that 5-7 year replacement is meant if I’m racing and not for regular street use. Any truth to this? Do I need to buy a new helmet aside from the fact that it’s to big?

·
Super Moderator
8,889 Posts
I bought my bike couple months from this dealership, and I also bought some gear from them as well. I know I probably should have checked but the excitement of a bike got the best of me. Anyway so I was looking at my helmet yesterday cus it’s a 2x and it fits super loose now. I see a tag that says March 2013. Buddy of mine tells me they should have sold me that helmet do it expiring. I’ve read things saying 5-7 years is manufactures suggestion on replacing. So I called the shop n told them and the guy told me it’s fine. That that 5-7 year replacement is meant if I’m racing and not for regular street use. Any truth to this? Do I need to buy a new helmet aside from the fact that it’s to big?
The 5-7 year manufacturer recommendation is from the date of first use so that part should be fine. It is true that the track organizations that check helmet age usually go by the date in the helmet.

But more important is the fit. A loose fitting helmet has limited protection regardless of the age. A too large helmet frequently limits your vision also as it sits too low on your head.

Years ago I was fit by a trained Arai dealer and the first thing he did was remove the cheek pads to check first for a good fit at the crown for both shape and size. After that was determined, the cheek pads were added and adjusted. I ended up going down a full size.

I see a lot of helmets that are too big and you can tell quickly as the riders nods their head and you notice the helmet moving independent of their nose or eyes.

Just because the cheek pads are tight, does not mean a good fit.

It does not have to be a super pricey helmet, but it needs to fit YOUR head.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
7 Posts
My opinion is that if the helmet was kept out of the sun, in a climate controlled environment, the age doesn't matter as much.
That said, I would be much more concerned about the loose fitment you speak about. It is very important to have a properly fitted helmet for it to perform properly in the event of a crash.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Put on your helmet, grab it by the chinbar. If there is major movement side to side it is too big. Same goes if you move it up & down.

It should only move slightly & in a crash the helmet should never move across the face.

Go back to the shop & complain if you're not happy. You bought some products from them & it's reasonable for them to make you happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts