Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new lid, something with chacter. My all white HJC just aint doing it for me. Did anyone see the article in the 6/05 Motorcyclist? Those who didn't- it talked about DOT standards being good, but not really enforced, the manufactures are taken at their word. The Snell rating being to rigid, because it designs a helmet to be able to survive impacts that are not realistic, therefore not being able to proctect as well in a realworld inpact. Most of the manufactures will build to Snell ratings because they see it as a marketing tool, as the general public is so concience of the name, not really what means. They went on to say the BSI is the most practial and protective for real world accidents. They performed their own lab test and found that often a cheapo no name non-snell rated helmet actually protected better.

It really is one of the best articles that I've ever read in any magazine. It put things in a different light. As a result of that it has me leaning towards SUOMEY, doe anyone have one? What do you like or dislike about it?

Here is the link, it's a long read but I think very worthwhile.http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/index.html

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I read that article also. Now that we know all helmets will protect about the same, comfort and fit and feel is the next thing. I have had a Nolan, KBC, and different Shoei models. The best in my opinion is the Scorpion. It fits and feels better than the shoei voltage rf1000 and has more features. It never fogs and the price is $199!!! :thumbup: :bowdown: I brought the blue and white one to match my gixxer. Over the winter I will treat myself to the blue and black one. Try one on and see what you think!! :hmmm:

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
I'm am forever a Suomy rider. Had the HJC's and Shoei's. HJC is not bad for the money. Suomy is the lightest helmet you will find unless you go carbon. Also, if you like graphics, Suomy has the sickest graphics out. I don't care about matching my gear to my bike or to my jacket...so I get what I want.

·
Registered
617 Posts
KBC saved my best friends life. A car RAN OVER HIS HELMET AND PINNED HIM UNDER THE CAR. He had a number of other injuries, but nothing was wrong with his head or neck thank God.

I'll always recommend KBC....tried and tested. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
707 Posts
toml71 said:
Here's a picture of my helmet. Its the KBC Assassin and its awesome! Very light and comfortable. I got it brand new on ebay for $166.

I want that helmet. Ive been looking around for awhile for a good deel. havent seen anything under $188 yet. sweet helmet!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have Arai rx7-corsair. To me, this is the best fit helmet. Has great ventilation system. The only negative for this one, is kind of noisy, but I don't mind.
Than I have this "german helmet" (on my profile pic). But I wear this helmet only in a short group rides, when all my buddies wear it too.

·
Registered
522 Posts
1gsm16 said:
I have 6 lids in my Garage, 3 of which match my bike. I grab the Scorpion everytime I ride, it is the best fitting helmet an the no fog is nothing but a :thumbup: I am like JFM GSXR 750 give the Scorpion a try you will not be dissapointed.
To you and every one else who owns a Scorpion. Do Scorpion helmets break in much? Let me rephrase that. Do they stay very snug or does the helmet stretch some?

AJ

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi, I have e SHOEI XR1000 and it fits great. It's comfortable and quiet. The visor is really scratch-proof, and the anti-fog system works fine. I've always had SHOEI helmets ( RF200, XR900 ) they protected my head in 2 crashes. Think I'll never change brand.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I have had my scorpion for a year and it still feels snug. It fits me better than the Shoei RF1000 and is much quieter. Both were the same size, XL.
I had the Shoei RF900 and went down with it 2 months after I brought it. The helmet had scratches on both sides and I had a very slight concussion. It did the job and I keep it hanging in my garage as a reminder...........
Just try the scorpion on and see what you think................for the price you can't beat it........... :thumbup:

·
Registered
707 Posts
JFM GSXR 750 said:
I have had my scorpion for a year and it still feels snug. It fits me better than the Shoei RF1000 and is much quieter. Both were the same size, XL.
I had the Shoei RF900 and went down with it 2 months after I brought it. The helmet had scratches on both sides and I had a very slight concussion. It did the job and I keep it hanging in my garage as a reminder...........
Just try the scorpion on and see what you think................for the price you can't beat it........... :thumbup:

ive had mine for about 6 months, and it fits like the day i got it. it really is a good helmet. everyone talks about there well known name brand helmets. this helmet is doing well in the market, and i havnt heard a bad thing about them from anyone. try one out or do searches on the web. you wont be dissapointed. Ive read from several people on here who own a Shoei or Arai, and they like the scorpion better. i think scorpion will eventually become much more recognized.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i have an arai quantum f and a kbc vr-2. the interior of the arai is more comfy than the kbc. however, the kbc has it beat in aerodynamics. it moves around a lot less than the arai when i turn my head when going 90+. i prefer the kbc if i plan on riding fast and the arai for cruising around.

·
Retired Mod
6,899 Posts
This is what i have now

Shoei RF-1000 Voltage *paid $350 shipped for it

This is what I want

AGV TiTech Tattoo *cheapest i've seen so far is $500+ shipping
The more i read about the helmet, the more i freakin' want it! Hey if its good for Valentino's head, i'm sure its good enough for anyone, anyone willin' to shell out that much :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.