Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It restarts right away and will run for a few minutes before it starts to do the same thing, time in between varies.

when it did this before I tried letting it cool off and it didn’t seem to make any sort of difference and that’s when Ibypassed the kickstand switch and that seemed to fix the issue

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
No "CHEC" message is a good thing in that it means the ECM did not lose power.

Without any obvious other symptoms and no CHEC message I'll take a total guess and say the crank position sensor (CKP) is failing.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Im going to upload a couple of videos to youtube to try and show you what im dealing with, I thought maybe TPS but i figured any kind of sensor would give me an F1 Code?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Keep in mind that the Airbox is off, which means i have 2 sensors unplugged, which is why the Tach is showing an F1 code, When the airbox is on I have no codes.

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
The video just shows it is shutting down but you missed an important part and that is what happens in the next 5 seconds on the cluster.

The interesting thing is it is shutting off just sitting there.

It would have been helpful to have a good shot of the cluster as it ran so I could see if this is with the bike cold or hot. From the fast idle speed on the first video it might be cold?

The good thing is that the secondary throttle valves are cycling after the bike shuts down which means the ECM is still powered up and happy. @Chuckster is there any clue here? (2nd vid)

It would also have been helpful if you showed a restart attempt right after it stopped.

So far I'm back to the CKP sensor. Check the connector from it to the harness and also check the plug and pins in the ECM. Be gentle with the ECM connectors, the pins are delicate.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
So the forks were bent in a crash? Hopefully you checked over the frame really well too?

John and Chuck forgot more than I ever knew about M/C engines LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So the forks were bent in a crash? Hopefully you checked over the frame really well too?

John and Chuck forgot more than I ever knew about M/C engines LOL
it was a low speed crash from what I was told but yes, Frame is solid and only one fork was bent and is now on the wall of shame
Cylinder Bicycle part Nickel Auto part Rim

·
Registered
34 Posts
I noticed that when the bike shut off, the secondary throttle valves re-primed, but the dash didn't.
They usually both do this at the same time.

Do you have something else controlling the engine? Like what's that black box with the green lights?
Could that be a problem?

(sorry for the non technical terms),

And like @Todd_Sails said, check the frame for cracks, especially around the welds
near the head stem.

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Do you have something else controlling the engine? Like what's that black box with the green lights?
Could that be a problem?
Good catch! I did not see that.

It is a Power Commander and yes, that could be flaking and shutting off the fuel.

@Manderson unplug the PC from the injectors and see what the bike does.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I actually just re-installed the power commander yesterday to see if it was the cause of the issue, and it was not, im planning to connect it to a laptop and try and reset whatever map is on it to a default map if i can. Without the power commander the bike is limited to 8k RPM max which is what made me interested to reinstall in the first place

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Without the power commander the bike is limited to 8k RPM max which is what made me interested to reinstall in the first place
This does not sound right at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can the power commander control the secondary valves? Didn't know that.

You said that you can start the bike up after it stalls. Do you have to cycle the key switch? or
the kill switch? Or can you just press the start button and go?

When the bike stalls, Don't turn the key off or kill switch off. Leave bike On. And recheck
the error codes using dealer mode.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I dont think it controls the valves at all, I think theres something weird with the ECM when the PC is not on the bike causing the governing issue. The bike will start right back up after shutting off. No need to cycle the key or the kill switch. I think it only end up doing it when the bike is hot, or at least its only done it after ive ridden, stopped and went back out on it again. When this happened originally I put the bike in dealer mode to see if that would help and I got no codes, However if it is the CKP is bad or is loosing signal intermittently, from what ive read, wont throw a code unless it looses signal for more than 3 seconds, at least thats what i read in the service manual.

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
The most common strange CKP issue over the years were bikes that would not restart after being shut off hot. They would start after the bike cooled down. No fault codes popped up.

Personally, I worked on a GSXR 600 that had no spark and also no fault codes. After all the obvious checks it was down to checking the CKP. I found that one of the CKP screws had come loose and was sticking to the sensor. I put it back and the bike fired right up.

The moral of the stories are that the fault detection of the ECM is not very sophisticated and the CKP can be the issue without throwing a fault code.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The most common strange CKP issue over the years were bikes that would not restart after being shut off hot. They would start after the bike cooled down. No fault codes popped up.

Personally, I worked on a GSXR 600 that had no spark and also no fault codes. After all the obvious checks it was down to checking the CKP. I found that one of the CKP screws had come loose and was sticking to the sensor. I put it back and the bike fired right up.

The moral of the stories are that the fault detection of the ECM is not very sophisticated and the CKP can be the issue without throwing a fault code.
Yeah, it might be worth going back and checking the CKP. I mean, op did say that the timing cover was cracked due to the accident and needed to be replaced. Perhaps it was damaged?

Also check/ move/ jiggle the wiring around the CKP. Could there be an internal break?

Another thing I noted from the videos, is that, once the bike stalls, it doesn't do a re-prime of the fuel pump. Usually when you loose momentary power to the ECU and the bike stalls, once power comes back, the tacho will do its' sweep and the fuel pump will re-prime. But here it didn't. So this means the ECU is not losing power.

Could we be looking at a fuel pump relay or tip over sensor momentary cut?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts