Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Help!! 03 GSXR 600 Shutting off at Random Electrical???

6K views 72 replies 7 participants last post by  peter079 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2003 GSXR 600 that was wrecked, it basically bent the forks, destoyed the headlight, fairings, radiatior, radiator fan, and cracked the timing case cover, I have replaced everything excluding the headlight and fairings so far. I took it out for about a 35 mile ride, near the end of the ride the bike was shutting off at takeoff from what i believe to be and electrical issue. I have replaced the battery and have tested the stator, and rectifier as best as i know how, Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Update, I checked the stator wires and I sure found a problem. The stator was previously replaced and their wiring was melting and one of the signal wires was even rotted off, so I repaired that but I’m still having an issue with the bike shutting down on me. Stopped at a red light and it shut off, coasting down a curvy hill with the clutch in and it shut down. Still waiting for a new R/R, hoping that is the cause. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#4 ·
Welcome.

I don't know why you haven't gotten a response before, and don't know why you post did not show up three days ago.

First thing is that the bike will run just fine without a stator or R/R as long as the battery has charge.

The most common cause for you symptoms are loose battery cable connections or a side stand safety switch that is not being held up firmly.

Have you seen "CHEC" pop up in the temp window anytime it has shut down? It takes a few seconds after it shuts down to pop up if it does.

#5 ·
Yes, it says chec every time I turn the key up until I hit the run switch, then it goes away for a few minutes and comes back if I don’t start the bike. And yes when I run the bike and shut it down the temp stays on for a few seconds before the CHEC comes back on

#6 ·
You are shutting the bike off with the kill switch and that is normal operation.

I was asking if "CHEC" was showing after the bike shut off on its own.

#8 · (Edited)
So today I was messing around with it after changing the R/R and it continued to shut itself off just sitting in the garage at idle. My voltage was in the High 13V to the low 14V range, Is this normal for being at idle? I continued to check to see if the "CHEC" message came up upon shutting off and it did not. So I ended up bypassing the kickstand switch and it seems as if that's working. I tried a few different time plugging it back in and letting it run and shut off and unplugging and bypassing again and it seems to be working, however I have not taken it for a ride yet.

#9 ·
So today I was messing around with it after changing the R/R and it continued to shut itself off just sitting in the garage at idle. I continued to check to see if the "CHEC" message came up upon shutting off and it did not. So I ended up bypassing the kickstand switch and it seems as if that's working. I tried a few different time plugging it back in and letting it run and shut off and unplugging and bypassing again and it seems to be working, however I have not taken it for a ride yet.

Another Question, What temp should the bike be at? my fan usually kicks on around 180 degrees but i feel like that's low, however i am more familiar with cars rather than bikes.
Mine kicks on right before 220F

#16 ·
The tip over sensor just talks to the ECM and the ECM then acts on the information.

Otherwise, if it is the TOS, you will have a TOS fault code.

#18 ·
We can then assume it is not the TOS.

When you say it "just flat out shut off" are you saying just the engine? Everything else is working?

Did the bike start again? How long after it shut off? Did CHEC pop up in the temp window a few seconds after it shut off?

#20 ·
It restarts and runs fine immediately or after it cools for a bit?

#21 ·
It restarts right away and will run for a few minutes before it starts to do the same thing, time in between varies.

when it did this before I tried letting it cool off and it didn’t seem to make any sort of difference and that’s when Ibypassed the kickstand switch and that seemed to fix the issue

#24 ·
No "CHEC" message is a good thing in that it means the ECM did not lose power.

Without any obvious other symptoms and no CHEC message I'll take a total guess and say the crank position sensor (CKP) is failing.

Reactions: Spyder13
#27 ·
The video just shows it is shutting down but you missed an important part and that is what happens in the next 5 seconds on the cluster.

The interesting thing is it is shutting off just sitting there.

It would have been helpful to have a good shot of the cluster as it ran so I could see if this is with the bike cold or hot. From the fast idle speed on the first video it might be cold?

The good thing is that the secondary throttle valves are cycling after the bike shuts down which means the ECM is still powered up and happy. @Chuckster is there any clue here? (2nd vid)

It would also have been helpful if you showed a restart attempt right after it stopped.

So far I'm back to the CKP sensor. Check the connector from it to the harness and also check the plug and pins in the ECM. Be gentle with the ECM connectors, the pins are delicate.

#30 ·
So the forks were bent in a crash? Hopefully you checked over the frame really well too?

John and Chuck forgot more than I ever knew about M/C engines LOL

#32 · (Edited)
I noticed that when the bike shut off, the secondary throttle valves re-primed, but the dash didn't.
They usually both do this at the same time.

Do you have something else controlling the engine? Like what's that black box with the green lights?
Could that be a problem?

(sorry for the non technical terms),

And like @Todd_Sails said, check the frame for cracks, especially around the welds
near the head stem.

#33 ·
Do you have something else controlling the engine? Like what's that black box with the green lights?
Could that be a problem?
Good catch! I did not see that.

It is a Power Commander and yes, that could be flaking and shutting off the fuel.

@Manderson unplug the PC from the injectors and see what the bike does.

#34 ·
I actually just re-installed the power commander yesterday to see if it was the cause of the issue, and it was not, im planning to connect it to a laptop and try and reset whatever map is on it to a default map if i can. Without the power commander the bike is limited to 8k RPM max which is what made me interested to reinstall in the first place

#35 ·
Without the power commander the bike is limited to 8k RPM max which is what made me interested to reinstall in the first place
This does not sound right at all.

#37 ·
Can the power commander control the secondary valves? Didn't know that.

You said that you can start the bike up after it stalls. Do you have to cycle the key switch? or
the kill switch? Or can you just press the start button and go?

When the bike stalls, Don't turn the key off or kill switch off. Leave bike On. And recheck
the error codes using dealer mode.

#38 ·
I dont think it controls the valves at all, I think theres something weird with the ECM when the PC is not on the bike causing the governing issue. The bike will start right back up after shutting off. No need to cycle the key or the kill switch. I think it only end up doing it when the bike is hot, or at least its only done it after ive ridden, stopped and went back out on it again. When this happened originally I put the bike in dealer mode to see if that would help and I got no codes, However if it is the CKP is bad or is loosing signal intermittently, from what ive read, wont throw a code unless it looses signal for more than 3 seconds, at least thats what i read in the service manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.