Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a 2003 gsxr pretty cheap. I knew it was gonna be a project. It starts up and idles great but if you give it WOT it bogs down around 4K. I also noticed the speedometer wasn’t saying the right speed and would jump around and drop to 5 when I was going way faster. I checked both fuel filters and all the injectors are clicking. I recorded a video of it helps

·
Super Moderator
9,542 Posts
Welcome.

The most common cause of the power symptoms you have is a fuel problem.

You mentioned you checked the fuel filters so I would check that the fuel line from the tank does not kink when tank is lowered. If that is OK the next step would be a fuel pressure and flow test as per the service manual.

The speedometer is a non issue as far as power. It is likely the trigger wheel is loose on the countershaft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.

The most common cause of the power symptoms you have is a fuel problem.

You mentioned you checked the fuel filters so I would check that the fuel line from the tank does not kink when tank is lowered. If that is OK the next step would be a fuel pressure and flow test as per the service manual.

The speedometer is a non issue as far as power. It is likely the trigger wheel is loose on the countershaft.
I forgot to mention the fuel line was kinked to I took it off and put in some fuel line I had laying around. It is almost running worse now that the fuel line is fixed.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,302 Posts
John is likely correct that it is a fuel problem but just for fun pull the air filter and see if it is clean as well. Air, fuel, and spark - you are missing one and air is easy to rule out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it might have a bad head gasket because when I put my hand over the left three throttle bodies it stays running but when I cover the fat right one the bike dies

·
Super Moderator
9,542 Posts
I think it might have a bad head gasket because when I put my hand over the left three throttle bodies it stays running but when I cover the fat right one the bike dies
I'm not sure how you are coming to a bad head gasket conclusion. If you are doing this check at idle, it sounds more like the throttle bodies are out of sync.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Super Moderator
9,542 Posts
I prefaced my answer on whether you were doing this "test" at idle. I still don't know.

Have you checked if all the cylinders are firing? (all the headers are getting warm?)

With the limited information you provide, it's hard to focus on any particular thing. I'm guessing you have not done a fuel pressure and volume test yet?

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just did a comp test and starting at the right cylinder I had 75,60,100,60. I put a little oil in the cylinder and got 170,175,160,170. based on this information Id say the piston rings are bad. Does that sound correct?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts