Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has me stomped. Was rided a couple days ago and my bike cut off while I was stopped at a red light. Won't re-start. Got it home and started troubleshooting the issue. GAS-OK, Battery-OK, Fuses-OK. Get full lights when the key is turned and the electric charge sound also. But once I hit the starter button, nothing. The horn also doesn't sound, which made me originally think the battery or a fuse. But I checked both the regular fuse and the main fuse. Both are ok, but changed them to be sure. No change. Still won't turn over. ANY ADVICE? Trying to keep it out the shop cause I don't have the $$$ for that right now, especially if it turns out to be minor, which I am sure it is. Never had an issue and she's always ran like a champ!

Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
I mean no insult when I ask this, but did you hit the red kill switch by accident? I've done that before, unwittingly. Had me stumped for a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, kill switch not the issue. Also, that would not affect the horn not working. But thanks. Not insulted, I have don't that once or twice before also. Just looking for help!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would agree on checking the kickstand switch and tip over sensor. Also if you belive it may be in the wiring, just start at the switch and follow the wiring checking the connections and wires for a break or dirty connection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still same issue.

Unfortunately, this one still has me down! Replaced the fuses and got the horn to work. Still won't start and have power to everything. Tried with kickstand up, poppin the clutch, and in gear with the clutch in. Nothing. Starter relay, starter switch, spark plugs? Those are my next moves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unfortunately, this one still has me down! Replaced the fuses and got the horn to work. Still won't start and have power to everything. Tried with kickstand up, poppin the clutch, and in gear with the clutch in. Nothing. Starter relay, starter switch, spark plugs? Those are my next moves.
Is the starter TRYING to roll over the engine? Or when u press the ignition button, do you get no sound at all? How was it riding up until the moment it turned off? sluggish under acceleration?

Maybe fuel pump?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bike was running fine. No issues at all. When it died, I was stilling at a red light in neutral. Hit the start button and nothing. No sound, no anything. All she does is flicker the headlights. No turnover, no sound at all. So fuel pump is not the issue. Thinkign something electrical since the horn also didn't work for the first few days after she died. Horn works now and then now. So really feeling it is electrical.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
What is the battery voltage? Check the battery cable connections, be sure they're clean and tight. I'd even have a load test done on the battery or try another battery. It may have juice to power the lights but not enough for the starter.

·
Registered
441 Posts
could possibly be a clutch issue. I have an 06 1000 too, and had similar probs because I had to pull the clutch lever ALL the way in to the grip. Do you by any chance get a whining noise in first gear when easing off the clutch, and a bit of grabbing?

There is a DIY clutch mod for the 05/06 1000s and it could be related to that.

If not....check your relay fuse as well.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Does the fuel pump prime at all?
Try to jump the starter to verify your getting fire there
See if you can roll the bike in gear
Push start as everyone else said
Check the wires that run to the Ignition switch.
Pull all your plastics off and go over it

·
Registered
89 Posts
This one has me stomped. Was rided a couple days ago and my bike cut off while I was stopped at a red light. Won't re-start. Got it home and started troubleshooting the issue. GAS-OK, Battery-OK, Fuses-OK. Get full lights when the key is turned and the electric charge sound also. But once I hit the starter button, nothing. The horn also doesn't sound, which made me originally think the battery or a fuse. But I checked both the regular fuse and the main fuse. Both are ok, but changed them to be sure. No change. Still won't turn over. ANY ADVICE? Trying to keep it out the shop cause I don't have the $$$ for that right now, especially if it turns out to be minor, which I am sure it is. Never had an issue and she's always ran like a champ!

Mike
Do u have a power commander? If so how do u have the ground attached?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Guys:
If the starter won't turn the bike over, then it is NOT:
- the clutch grind issue
- bad plugs
- bad fuel pump or filter

It sure does sound electrical.
It could be the clutch neutral switch, but doubtful. That would not cause it to die idling at a light.
Kickstand switch, tip over sensor are possible.
dead battery possible too...but with enough to light the lights it should not have died at the light I don't think...but I wouldn't rule it out.
If you have the wiring diagrams, you can trace out what should have power ..., and you should also be able to debug the kickstand switch, tip over sensor too.

·
Administrator
5,568 Posts
Does the fuel pump prime at all?
Try to jump the starter to verify your getting fire there
See if you can roll the bike in gear
Push start as everyone else said
Check the wires that run to the Ignition switch.
Pull all your plastics off and go over it
Did you try to push start it? Did you check batt voltage and load test as mentioned earlier? I had a similer problem once was sitting at a red light and the bike just quit like I hit the kill switch or turned off the key. Only difference mine would crank but not start. Turns out the cam chain broke bent two valves. Pulled the head off replaced the two valves, fished the chain out of the case went to the dealer and got a master link and rode it another 40k miles.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i have a 2006 and 2004 gsxsr 1000 and both of them had a problem with kick stand switch on both i just ran a jumper in switch and it would run so i just removed switch and installed a resistor on mine ,,,,on my wifes bike i have had a problem with the clutch switch not engauging was able to adjust

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the help and ideas. Finally got someone over to look at her and we played with a few things and traced the issue back to the clutch and kickstand kill switch! Horn issue was a power issue! The horn worked but as the power(battery) drains, the horn stops working. The clutch needed adjusting which in additon to the kickstand, had to be done together. But I'm happily back up and rolling and without the heavy cost of a repair shop for some minor work. Took all of 30 minutes.

BigMike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts