Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I need to change my oil, this will be the first time that I will be doing this myself. My 041K has 4500 miles on it and the oils hase been changed once for the first service by the dealer and again 1200miles later by a mechanic that my race buddies use. He put Amsoil synth 10w40. I now have been told by another dealer that I should not use synthetic because of the wet clutch and the molly in the oil will cause it to slip. :headscrat Is this a factor? Which oil should I use? I know there are alot of brands but what are the top choices. Has anyone ever heard of this. Any knowledgeable advise is appreciated. :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I dont recomend full synthetic for the street, it is better for high heat and high rpm over a long period of time like in road racing, and can make the clutch slip slightly on street aplications. It is also very important to keep a small amount of slack in the clutch lever, if it is all the way tight that will roast the clutch because it never fully ingages.If you do cange your clutch make sure you change the oil and filter or you can fry your motor from the clutch fibers in the oil,that stuff is like poring sand in your oil.......you can do it yourself and chances are you will only need to buy the clutch fibers which sould cost about $90 and I would buy a set of barnett spings for around $15.If you are luky you wont need a gasket but chances are you will...good luck

ALL THAT CAME FROM THE THREAD RIGHT BELOW THIS ONE.........hope that helps as far as your clutch question

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Fully synthetic MOTORCYCLE oil will not make a stock clutch, if its not specifically made for a motocycle then yes it will make the clutch slip because they use friction modifying agents in car oil to reduce wear. Now aftermarket clutchs, I know the barnett kevlar clutch doesn't like castrol full synthetic.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I use mobile 1 full synthetic 10-40. Never had a slipping problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Motorcycle OIL...

use anything sysntetic or non syntetic, just make sure the oil you are using meet JASO specs (this spec is designed specially for clutch and gearbox) wich make this oil slightly different than standard motor oil.

My 0.0002 cents

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
MOTUL is my oil that i use
Nuffin else

1 - 8 of 8 Posts