Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 gsxr 600. The battery was stone dead so I charged it. When I turn the key on, everything lights up as it should, fuel pump runs etc... When I thumb the starter button, I get no response. The starter doesn't crank, I don't hear any other noises. The ignition fuse is good, the motor is free, (turns over when I push the bike and dump the clutch). Has any one else run into this before? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

·
Banned
105 Posts
Check the voltage on your battery. Should be about 12.4v to 12.8v. If it is lower than that, it may be bad. Batterys can be funny and make you think they are good when they are really bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be as simple as the battery.
I took the side cover off and jumped the starter relay with a screw driver and it turns over and starts (relay fuse is good). The ignition button still gives me no response, but the battery checks out at less than 11 volts with a meter.

·
Banned
105 Posts
11v is a little low, if you jump start it will it fire off the starter button? If so, then you know your batter is to low to crank the bike and power the ignition.

If you jump it and it still will not start off the starter button, then you have a bad contact in the starter button.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll Check that. I appreciate the quick response from everyone. While I have you here, I know the 750 motor is essentially interchangeable in my chassis, but can I swap in the 1000 motor?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It can also be a loose or bad relay. Look up towards the front near the Ram air tubes. I belive that is where they are on your bike. I worked on a bike recently that would not start, and it was a loose relay.

Jumping the starter solenoid has nothing to do with the starter button, as it has power on it at all times, and the button puts voltage on the coil to make it energize. You only succeded in bypassing the button itself.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Check the 2 lil wires that connect on back of the clutch lever

1 - 8 of 8 Posts