Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming home from Operation Humanitarian Assistance, my bike has been sitting there for 4 and a half months, how do I go about getting her back on the street. Its a 2003 gsxr 1000, The only thing I did before I left was fill the gas tank up full with the added stabilizer, and I took the battery out and put it on a tender. I did not oil the spark plugs, or put a teaspoon of oil in each one. Its sitting on the tires, covered up in a garage. Now, I heard some people say, just throw the battery in and start her up! I heard others say I'll screw the engine up that way, They said to take the spark plug caps off, and turn the ignition on without starting it...just to let the oil flow... and then start it????, Please help me out here GSXR folks, Mike :headscrat

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
me i would just start the thing on up. You have a oil pump hehe but all seriousness you can take off spark plugs and spray oil in there,but its gonna burn as soon as the spark hits the chamber

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I would start it. It won't hurt it but I would let it get to riding temp before doing anything else. Also watch because the temp will go up and come back down. The tires should be fine but check the pressure. Make sure they warm up good. You may want to take it on an easy ride before you do any hard riding.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would change the oil and spark plugs before I do anything. It's best to change the oil before you store it so I'd say if you didn't do it then I would do it now. Also the plugs should be changed every year so I'd do that too if it's been longer than that. Check the tire pressure to make sure they are fine but they should be good to go. Check all your fluid levels ie coolant, brake fluid, gas, etc... I have also heard, don't know if it's true or not, that if you use stablizer it can take out the plugs the first time you start it up. If this is true you might run it with the old plugs then change them once that first tank of gas is gone. Again, I don't know if that's true or not seeing as how I don't use any stabilizer. Once you've done that, take 'er for a nice easy ride to get the juices flowin' then ride it like you stole it!! :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.