Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a little more time getting it ready for the vavle cover to come off for clearance check;

I thought #3 spark plug was stripped! Turns out, my hex spark plug socket wasn't seating on the plug- Whew!!

The cover on the right side of the crank, where the timing marks are:
I've had it off once or twice, using a large hex wrench I've had for years.- It's probably an American sizer wrench, cause this time, even being careful, it's stripping out the large hex hole.

I'd like to hear you creative ways to get it off, without getting any debris in the case/engine?

Thanks.

Also, any good links for the replacement cap? I'll look too

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So online, the parts diagrams call it:

Plug, shaft, hole- I thought that was kinda a funny name, in a grade school kind of way.

Part # 09259-36021
they want $9 for it, and I went to a few sites, anywhere from $9-$17 for shipping!

It fits virtually almost every Suzuki made too!

Anybody have one lying around? I might check with a parts salvage place on the other side of town too.

Still got to get this one off too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Buy a new one from a local dealer. You'll pay a bit more but you'll avoid shipping charges.

As I recall, Yoshimura offers them made from billet. But they're a lot more expensive. Also be certain it's correct for your bike as I recall an issue with them contacting the bolt on the crankshaft or other internals.

It may be too late for your stripped hex but some tape around the tool may help. The hex is metric but there might be an English size that is slightly larger.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I had to cut a slot at the edge and drive it with a cold chisel to get mine off. Just bought a new one and made sure to put anti-seize on the new one.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Good advice on removal techniques, thanks. I'll attempt/will get it off today :0001136745-huh:

I'll call the shop near me this morning and see what they have, price, etc., If it's overpriced, I'll go to that salvage place.

It's cold as a witches titty outside, I won't be riding for months. Next two days, highs in the teens F.

It's comforting knowing I'm not 'fixing' anything and she ran well before putting her up on stands for the winter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are we talking about an allen bolt? If so, try using a torx bit. I have had really good luck getting worn allens out with a torx. They fit tight into the corners of the hex. Last resort would be to cut a slot in it with a dremel, as Chuck suggested.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here's what I was referring to with the Yoshimura plug:

I don't think that the mangan(?) color was popular as I can't find any current parts with it. Furthermore the timing plug itself may now be discontinued as I can find one plug, 052HA111900, on aftermarket sites but can't find any GSXR inspection plugs at Yoshimura.

My notes say that the timing plug uses a 10 mm hex. You might be able to grind down the head of a bolt with a 7/16" hex head until it fits tightly into the socket. Then use two nuts on the threaded portion to turn it out.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the continued awesome replies. This is basically my only winter project on this bike that runs awesome.

Ordered the new timing mark cover yesterday via phone to my local shop.
W/ tax just over $12- be here in a few days, still cheaper than online + shipping, and don't have to hassle with locating one at the salvage yard- ~60miles round trip.

I haven't attempted to remove it yet, got called in to work yesterday, Yay! Also got a call that I was offered an awesome Full time job with benefits- big $ yesterday too! That may start by February- prayers were answered!
Today is 20F for the high. I'll set my heater in the garage later, use a hair dryer on it, and try again to Get'er off.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPdate: Got it loose!

It's 17F today, so I'm not gokng further on it today.
I got my garage up to ~55F
Used a hair dryer that I use to get the chimney going upward before lighting it (works awesome, no smoke in the house)

Cut a slot in the cap with a mack saw.
heated with hair dryer
Used some screwdrivers and a hammer near the outer edge for more leverage-
Got it loose! Yay, thanks for the replies.

Now when it gets to the 40's this Friday, I'll get the valve cover off (already loosened), put the marks/phases to spec and check 'er out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts