Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike has lost all of its power and it sounded like the fuel pump so i took it out and it was full of trash. I ordered a new one and replaced it i cleaned the tank and filled it up with new gas and put some sea foam in it. The bike started up fine and after a few mins it was back to normal. The next day tried to start it and it took a min to get going then the same problem started over. It has very lil power even if u twist the throttle just a lil it will shut off or bogg down. Ive changed the plugs too. Can anyone help me please. Ive did everything i could think of

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
The bike has lost all of its power and it sounded like the fuel pump so i took it out and it was full of trash. I ordered a new one and replaced it i cleaned the tank and filled it up with new gas and put some sea foam in it. The bike started up fine and after a few mins it was back to normal. The next day tried to start it and it took a min to get going then the same problem started over. It has very lil power even if u twist the throttle just a lil it will shut off or bogg down. Ive changed the plugs too. Can anyone help me please. Ive did everything i could think of
Injectors dirty plugged from the dirty gas you had before?

·
Registered
181 Posts
By ordered a new fuel pump, are you referring to the entire assembly or just the pump motor? These problems are normally with the main fuel filter, which is quite expensive. Do a fuel pump flow test as is described in the service manual. The tank interior needs to be kept clean. Make sure that your fuel line isn't kinked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By ordered a new fuel pump, are you referring to the entire assembly or just the pump motor? These problems are normally with the main fuel filter, which is quite expensive. Do a fuel pump flow test as is described in the service manual. The tank interior needs to be kept clean. Make sure that your fuel line isn't kinked.
Yes sir i replaced just the pump motor it self. The pump come off ebay it was new but had no instructions.when i put the new pump in the bike ran ok i could tell it still didnt have all its power. I checked the injectors and they work fine. I didnt know there was 2 filters on it. The pump come with a filter. So do u suggest i just get a whole new assembly and all.

·
24,608 Posts
I dug this up for reference, your model may be different but your manual will point that out.. A special thanks to PhotoBucket for being...well...Forum Screwing Rat Bastards. Pics are almost un usable but write up is good.

·
Premium Member
8,198 Posts
It is likely the high pressure filter that is clogged as billyv mentioned above.

It is a paper filter sealed in the plastic housing next to the pump itself. Many have successfully back flushed it. Be gentle and don't use compressed air. Replacements are almost $400 and I believe that Suzuki is the only source.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just throwing it out here. $212 from partzilla.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would suggest renting a pressure gauge from autozone and hooking it up to your fuel line. Rev it up and ride it. Make sure the fuel pump is pushing 43-44psi constantly. If that is good then move on because your fuel pump is good.

when you put your tank down did you make sure to not crimp the fuel line?

I wouldn't suspect injectors since you said it ran good.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in the process of rebuilding the fuel pump system on a 2002 GSXE1000 also. Bike was sitting for ten years and the strainer below the pump was full of dried up yellow powder. The filrter itself was still full of gas and actually smells ok. Probably has not been exposed to the atmosphere. The OEM pump and filter are spendy. I purchased a new pump for $69 on Amazon. I think I will try to backflush the filter and see if anything comes out nasty, otherwise its about $225 (shipped) on Partzilla for a new filter.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do the flow test as described in the service manual. It will tell you what the condition of the main filter is. Pump motors are fairly robust. Anything can happen when stored for ten years but, unless yours was dead, it probably was OK. People oftentimes replace the motor thinking it is the problem when it actually is the main filter.

The pump was redesigned in 2007 and the filter price dropped to about $100. That's still very expensive but not insane like before. I'm fairly sure that it has the same mounting flange as your K2. But it uses a swingarm level sensor instead of your thermistor type. There's a fair chance that you could move your thermistor to a newer style pump (no guarantees).

I've recently grumbled elsewhere here about the absence of an aftermarket filter with a replaceable element.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy guacamole! $380 for the hangar assembly only no pump??? I sell Auto Zone late model Camaro entire fuel pump assemblies for less than half that. I’m talking to my fuel pump product manager first thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2001 GSXR 1000. I was having similar problems. I took my fuel pump out same s*** all dirty I cleaned it all up put it back in started right up started f** up and I had the right fuel pressure but I think some s*** got sucked into my fuel injectors. I did the sea phone too and I think it helped but there's a guy with a channel on YouTube he says that seafoam f** them out they run like s* with it. But also I was going to say I forgot about this but I didn't even touch my throttle position sensor but it was all out of whack started backfiring and all kinds of s*** . I was so sick of messing with it that I like just sit there for a month in my living room then one day I was watching videos again it got the throttle position sensor all the dialed in. Fired right up like nothing was wrong ever this is on Christmas Day took it for a ride it ran great so good that I almost ran into the back of a car doing a hundred thirty when he pulled in front of me I got back to my house it's stalled at my gate and I haven't been able to start a since

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dug this up for reference, your model may be different but your manual will point that out.. A special thanks to PhotoBucket for being...well...Forum Screwing Rat Bastards. Pics are almost un usable but write up is good.

Seems like a lot of people have problems with fuel pump excetra on these bikes. Recently I borrowed my father's chainsaw 2-stroke he told me I had to use some special $20 a gallon gas. I didn't believe him so I did Regular 2-stroke mix it would not start at all. I started watching YouTube and found out that 2-stroke will not run on gas with ethanol in it I got to thinking I wonder if that's what's wrong with my GSXR especially since it's a 2001 when they didn't have ethanol in the gas. Anybody know anything about that. I got so sick of fighting with my bike I haven't even touched it since Christmas. I've been riding my ninja

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your injectors is clogged replace them I had the same problem I have the same model bike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts