Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello ! I'm going to buy a GSXR 600, it will be my first "real bike" since I'm just out of european restricted license. I've owned 5 motorcycles before and test rode about the same amount, and been riding for 5 years, so I'm not a newbie but I wouldn't say I am an experienced rider either.

My point is, I wonder if the differences between the 2006-2007 / 2008-2010 and 2011-now models are really noticeable. I know the 2011 models weigh 20 lbs less and have a BPF from factory, alongside with brembo brakes, though I wonder if it really makes a differences while riding the bike hard in the twisties. Also, i know the 06-07 models had rectifier issues due their placement on the bike, they tended to fry from engine heat, and this has been corrected on newer models. I also heard they had alternator issues, but I have no idea if this has been fixed or not on the next generations models.

Basically I'm asking all this because even though the 2011 models are better on paper, they look ugly as hell to me, and I much rather the two previous designs of this bike. Though if the technical upgrades of the 2011 models really gives a better handling of the bike, I'll get it, but if it's the kind of upgrades that can only be noticed by super experienced track riders, I will go with one of the older models. I just tested a 07 model this morning, and overall I loved it, but since I haven't tested the 2011 model, I can't say for myself which one I like better. Also, the model I tested was full stock except for an ohlins shock absorber. If someone rode both the 2011 and 2008/2006 models back to back, I'd really like to have your feedback !

Also, I will use the bike on my daily commutes, and ride it in the twisties every week end, so I need a dependable bike that won't let me down randomly if I respect maintenance schedule, if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your advices !

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I’m sure others will chime in. I had a k7 600 and loved it. I did test ride a L7 1000R but to compare those isn’t really fair.

Yes my r/r and stator died during the years I had the bike. Replaced them with OEM parts and relocated the r/r to the left side. Other than that no issues.

Mine had just shy of 50000km on it when I sold it, and the valve clearances were still within spec. I bought it with 12000km on it. Most of my riding was commuting with weekend rides and a couple of track days/school.

Whatever you decide, you’ll end up with an awesome bike. In aus we also have restricted bikes for first few years. The k7 600 is easy to handle below 6000rpm if your coming from a bike powered by the equivalent of a lawnmower engine. Between 6 and 10k it is waking up and above 10k you’ll experience a holy crap this is awesome moment. It doesn’t have the torque or power of the bigger bikes but trust me, it’s more than plenty for a first “real” sports bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I’m sure others will chime in. I had a k7 600 and loved it. I did test ride a L7 1000R but to compare those isn’t really fair.

Yes my r/r and stator died during the years I had the bike. Replaced them with OEM parts and relocated the r/r to the left side. Other than that no issues.

Mine had just shy of 50000km on it when I sold it, and the valve clearances were still within spec. I bought it with 12000km on it. Most of my riding was commuting with weekend rides and a couple of track days/school.

Whatever you decide, you’ll end up with an awesome bike. In aus we also have restricted bikes for first few years. The k7 600 is easy to handle below 6000rpm if your coming from a bike powered by the equivalent of a lawnmower engine. Between 6 and 10k it is waking up and above 10k you’ll experience a holy crap this is awesome moment. It doesn’t have the torque or power of the bigger bikes but trust me, it’s more than plenty for a first “real” sports bike.
Hi, thanks a lot for the detailed answer here ! In the end I went for a black and red K8 750, it had low km, and it was in pristine condition (checked by my best friend who also is a professional mechanic, that's very convenient I must say lol) and at a reasonable price, so I bought it. I only rode it one time as for now, but I definitely noticed the increased torque at low rpms compared to the 600, though I didn't had the occasion to push it higher up in the rev range yet, but I'm sure it's gonna be a beast !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts