Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving life right now. Just picked her up, used to ride a Harley 883. This thing is going to be a struggle to keep tame during the break in period. Anybody have any reccomendations on how long I need to baby it?

The Garage is getting a little over crowded these days.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
looks good man.... on your babying question, this is a highly disputed topic, but from my personal experience don't baby it at all, expecially the first 30-40 miles, they say if you baby it too much your rings wont seat properly. I bought a GSXR 1000 in april, pulled out of the parking lot and was in a wheelie down the road and I've got 13k on my bike with no problems.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I took it somewhat easy on mine for the first few hundred miles but that only took two days.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Had a buddy do the same jump from a 883 Sportster. Figured CC range was about the same and wasnt expecting the HUGE jump in raw power (compared to just a loud lawnmower)

Went around a usuall turn (used to the harley) gassed it too hard and made some chocolate pudding in his pants as the front wheel lifted off the ground.

anyway youll be happy with the swap for more than just maintence reasons.

good luck ride safe

·
Registered
58 Posts
Let's just chalk that one up for complete and utter ignorance especially the ones that buy one BRAND NEW!!!!!!!!! and their FIRST BIKE EVER :rofl:
YEAH GONNA GO LIKE HELL for about two minutes until you splat on a car
and then everyone talks shit about how dangerous these bikes are.
Well I guess its cause they are cheaper to insure as well ...... :laughingr
nah that's not it either........for what I've seen and know ......a little can go the bike ....but it's mostly the rider.....that's my opinion anyway and you know what they say about those :thefinger ........keep safe nice bike .

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Rezinate said:
Let's just chalk that one up for complete and utter ignorance especially the ones that buy one BRAND NEW!!!!!!!!! and their FIRST BIKE EVER :rofl:
YEAH GONNA GO LIKE HELL for about two minutes until you splat on a car
and then everyone talks shit about how dangerous these bikes are.
Well I guess its cause they are cheaper to insure as well ...... :laughingr
nah that's not it either........for what I've seen and know ......a little can go the bike ....but it's mostly the rider.....that's my opinion anyway and you know what they say about those :thefinger ........keep safe nice bike .

Most beginners usually buy a USED bike first. In fact I dont know anybody who bought a NEW bike for the first bike. Gotta be a dumbass to do something like that.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I like the ones that go out and buy a brand new liter bike, thats just awesome when they do that. A type of Natural Selection, the stupid ones die first.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
skibum91 said:
I like the ones that go out and buy a brand new liter bike, thats just awesome when they do that. A type of Natural Selection, the stupid ones die first.

Always.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I started with the best starter bike ever...Yamaha Seca II ...the biggest Dog on the road....but it was a good experience in handling and not being over powered. I learned alot from the 8 months I owned it, and probably should have kept it for a drive to work bike...but every step up spoils me and my hunger for power over takes me.....anyone who is reading these and is thinking about starting out???? Read listen and learn.....start out slow and used....build the experience because you might not have a second chance !!! I have had 4 bikes now and still haven't owned a new one yet....Seca II ....rebuilt a 89' FZR from the frame up...and a 91' FZR...I have just stepped up to a 02' Gixxer 750 ...and I have found my soul mate!!!! Unbelievable!!!! But if I started with this...I probably wouldn't be here right now...Take your time...and ride safe.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
wickmaster said:
Most beginners usually buy a USED bike first. In fact I dont know anybody who bought a NEW bike for the first bike. Gotta be a dumbass to do something like that.
I was one of those who bought brand new, had never ridden a bike at all. I took the weekend course and the following weekend I was out buying my 03 gsxr 600. (it was still in the box) as there putting everything together i turn to my friend and say "hey can i sit on one of the bikes in the show room since I've never sat on a sport bike" might have been a dumbass move, but i spent about a month before i was ever driving in traffic. i didn't drop it at all the first season, the next year though i did. it was a nasty little drop, ok no damge, at whopping 1mile per hour. (in my defense I was hungover and on a gravel lot - weak excuse) I must say though hind sight 20/20 I'd do the same thing, buy new that is not drop it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm with you on that one Wick most do .....it's the tools that do .....saw it happen twice well actually one and a half ..........the first one gets a 929 had it on its side twice the first day he had gotten insurance for it .....FUCKIN expensive day for him :clap:

The second one .....this dude gets a CBR 900 it wasn't new enough so he gets an R1 , couple weeks go by I see him at our usual meeting place in his girlfriends SUNFIRE :laughingr guess that answered that one, and of course it was a (BROAD) that cut him off .......that one 's my favorite....

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Rezinate said:
I'm with you on that one Wick most do .....it's the tools that do .....saw it happen twice well actually one and a half ..........the first one gets a 929 had it on its side twice the first day he had gotten insurance for it .....FUCKIN expensive day for him :clap:

The second one .....this dude gets a CBR 900 it wasn't new enough so he gets an R1 , couple weeks go by I see him at our usual meeting place in his girlfriends SUNFIRE :laughingr guess that answered that one, and of course it was a (BROAD) that cut him off .......that one 's my favorite....

HAHAHAHAHA thats funny. The way that I see it is you are young and have no experience. You should get a used bike and practice on it for a little bit. You can get a pretty decent bike for around a couple hundred to a frand or two. When you drop it or dump it or whatever it wont hurt that bad. Your feelings that is. Cant really get pissed off either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I started with the best starter bike ever...Yamaha Seca II ...the biggest Dog on the road....but it was a good experience in handling and not being over powered. I learned alot from the 8 months I owned it, and probably should have kept it for a drive to work bike...but every step up spoils me and my hunger for power over takes me.....anyone who is reading these and is thinking about starting out???? Read listen and learn.....start out slow and used....build the experience because you might not have a second chance !!! I have had 4 bikes now and still haven't owned a new one yet....Seca II ....rebuilt a 89' FZR from the frame up...and a 91' FZR...I have just stepped up to a 02' Gixxer 750 ...and I have found my soul mate!!!! Unbelievable!!!! But if I started with this...I probably wouldn't be here right now...Take your time...and ride safe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah man my buddy had a seca in high school good bike to start on for sure
I started with a gs 400 then graduated to an RG 500 Gamma .....that was a sweet ass bike then I dropped a little and got a 550 nighthawk that was different then a 750 interceptor .........after a bit a got the 88 gsxr 750
and last year I picked up an 98 srad 750 .....keeps up with the pack .......
when I want it to :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Best bike to learn on, an EX250!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
You know when you shouldn't ride one when you get throttle lock and take yourself out :laughingr or 12 oclock it .....I know its mean but I had to laugh ......THANK GOD FOR FULLFACES :laughingr :rofl:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I started out with a GS500 '01 beautiful bike, still sittin my garage. I recently decided to start tryin to stunt, and thats what ive been usin the GS for. I can finally get the ass end off the ground and hold a stoppie, not getting very far on a wheelie though, no power behind it. But my stoppies are gettin pretty good, i can hold em for a few seconds now (after 1 day of trying). Anyways, yea, i highly recommend to anyone that they start on a small bike, its so much more fun to go railing through the twisties than it is to go fast in a straight line. Hence why i kept the old girl.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ol' dude who said a new rider should never buy a brand new bike for a new rider is very opinionated. I learned on my husbands brand new 1k and did fine. Less than a year later we went out and bought an '05 600 for me. Love it!!! Love it, love it, love it!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.