Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is of course The Netherlands. My name is Erik, 54 years old and currently GSX-R-less… 😢 I’m trying to convince SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) that I nééd a GSX-R 1000 next to my BMW R1200GS.

In the past I have owned 4 GSX-R’s:
1. 1991 GSX-R 1100
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

2. 2000 GSX-R 750
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

3. 2005 GSX-R 1000
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle helmet

And just for giggles a friend of mine and I started a “racing team”, my bike was a 1997 GSX-R 750 SRAD. The name of our team was “Team L&H”, owing to our ah… physique!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Cheers,
Erik.

·
Mod of the North
29,107 Posts
Team L&H! Love it. Welcome. You probably made a decent choice asking if you should get another GSXR as we are all enablers. The question is which one? I say 86 1100.

Reactions: One-Oh-Four

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! At first I was thinking about the 1991/1992 GSX-R 1100, since I had such a good time with it. Plus I think that’s the best looking 1100 and a nice “oldtimer” to save for posterity.
But…the thing is terribly sensitive on the synchronization of it’s carburettors, a job I can’t do myself. Somehow I suspect that the art of doing that right is rapidly getting extinct amongst today’s mechanics…

So I’m leaning towards the first gen GSX-R 1000. My 2000 750 was nimble and comfy cough! enough.

A good working injection system, good handling but still not everything controlled by the ECU like on my R1200GS LC. Although I must admit that I’ve encountered circumstances where I was happy with the ABS and traction control on that bike!

·
Super Moderator
8,993 Posts
Some people criticize the use of ABS and TC but I don't.
I have never gone down from locking the brakes but I'm not too good to.
I have gone down because I spun the rear tire.
I think it's a good thing for the average rider when you go over 100 hp.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Welcome, Erik.

Other than the GSXRs and the BMW, have you owned any other bikes?

I am also GSXRless at the moment. If I can’t count my sons WR250F I am also bikeless. One day I shall have another bike. I have permission from the “government” - she wants to get a bike too but hasn’t ridden in a long time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome, Erik.

Other than the GSXRs and the BMW, have you owned any other bikes?

I am also GSXRless at the moment. If I can’t count my sons WR250F I am also bikeless. One day I shall have another bike. I have permission from the “government” - she wants to get a bike too but hasn’t ridden in a long time.
Hey Syd,

Well, I did own some other bikes…!
1. 1984 Suzuki GSX 550ES
2. 1989 Honda VF 750F (was actually modelyear 1984, but only sold in 1989, the VF 750 line got a very bad name after the first VF 750S’s in 1983 got massively damaged rear camshafts as a result of a design flaw in the lay-out of the lubrication system. After modification the V4 engine was great but the damage in the public eye was done…)
3. 1989 Suzuki GSX 750ES
4. 1991 Kawasaki GPz 900R (the re-pop with the 17 inch wheels)
5. 1992 Suzuki GSX 750F (seeing a trend emerging here?…. 😇)
6. 1991 Suzuki GSX-R 1100M
7. 2000 Suzuki GSX-R 750
8. 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000K5
9. 2008 Yamaha R1
10. 2011 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple (His Lordship)
11. 2009 BMW R1200GSA Adventure (Dicke Bertha)
12. 2013 BMW R1200GS Liquid Cooled (Der Kaiser)

13. 1997 carburetted Suzuki GSX-R 750 SRAD (Duck-butt) track-bike
14. 2005 Honda CBR 600RR Baby-blade track-bike. I just could NOT fit on that bike, I kid you not. Even though I’m only 6 ft tall. Maybe my belt-size had also something to do with that…

So, there you have it, a slight fortune in depreciation but massive joy in rider appreciation!

Cheers, Erik.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,770 Posts
Excellent historical list of machines there. Should have never sold that '91 1100. I with Tin, you need another old school carbed bike. We love them. As much as I would enjoy the added reliability of the modern fuel injected bikes, I just can't get past the looks of them. I think the first gen FI GSXR's (2000-2003) are the last of the decent looking ones. After that they just don't "flow" anymore.
I've had my ear to the ground for a 2002(ish) TL1000R. Everytime, a decently priced one comes up, I don't have the fundage for it. My life's story... Good luck with the hunt, and welcome to the site. Lots of great people here.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
K5/6 GSXR1000, or nothing at all LOL!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K5/6 GSXR1000, or nothing at all LOL!
I loved the grunt of that engine. To be honest, the chassis and brakes of the 2008 Yammie R1 were better, crispier, “out of the box”. But that engine; whoohoooooooo!!!!! If I had been more knowledgeable, I probably could have set up the suspension and brakes way better. But hey, that’s life.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent historical list of machines there. Should have never sold that '91 1100. I with Tin, you need another old school carbed bike. We love them. As much as I would enjoy the added reliability of the modern fuel injected bikes, I just can't get past the looks of them. I think the first gen FI GSXR's (2000-2003) are the last of the decent looking ones. After that they just don't "flow" anymore.
I've had my ear to the ground for a 2002(ish) TL1000R. Everytime, a decently priced one comes up, I don't have the fundage for it. My life's story... Good luck with the hunt, and welcome to the site. Lots of great people here.
Agreed, but hindsight is 20/20. In 2000 they were barely considered good enough for landfills, it seemed…. Nowadays, they’re nowhere to be found anymore… Aside from the odd streetfighter here & there.

·
Mod of the North
29,107 Posts
Agreed, but hindsight is 20/20. In 2000 they were barely considered good enough for landfills, it seemed…. Nowadays, they’re nowhere to be found anymore… Aside from the odd streetfighter here & there.
So true. I remember some of the cars I bought for $500.00 back in college and to think now they would be worth $25,000.00. Different times I suppose. Other things come along and we drift. Hindsight is indeed 20/20.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,770 Posts
"Street Fighter"... Translation: My bike fought the street, and lost. I'm too poor to buy new fairings, so come and buy my "custom" failure, for twice what it's worth...

• Haha
1 - 13 of 13 Posts