Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gsxr forum , SOrry if this is TLTR

Been riding for 2 years now with roughly 8000 miles(small time commuter what can I say). Started riding at an older age 40. 42 now but still have the shape of a 30 yr old and feel and look young. That has no relevance just felt like bragging a bit. I've been lurking on the forums for over 6 months getting knowledge btw.

I just picked up a used 06 750 GSXR with 20,000 miles on it at agreat bargain, plus not sure how long I'll keep her. She rides strong. She has been down Coming from an 06 Ninja 650r

The guy did the fork seals and oil, relocated the rectifier and replaced with new, new stator, new rear brakes , new front tire, new OEM master brake cylinder, new chain. She has been down on both sides but no cracks on the frame or the neck. Solid all around I'd say. She has a few gremlins. Just the other day she bogged down on me in 1st , lost power and then all of a sudden ZOOOM quick power right back. Like the fuel stopped or something. Also happened to the mechanic that did my tire. But he felt it in 5th gear. I also got the Fi light, however it went away like gremlins do before I could pull the code. I have an insulated wire in it now seeing if I can catch it again.

Battery seems ok measured 12.85 V ignition on.....down to about 12.1 V with ALL the lights on and kill switch in enable position (haven't checked the crank voltage yet) . So I put that out there just for info. Not asking for much yet as everything I already picked out of the forums.

I'm in the process of swapping the spark plugs, new clutch plates, flush fluids (oil, coolant) and I will try to measure the valve clearance (but will most likely have the mechanic do the actual swapping of shims.) I'm pretty handy , I've worked on all my cars and my last motorcylce. At least with what tools I have capable to do a job and my confidence level. Regular maintenance mostly. My main objective is to use the forums to get this bike running SAFE and RELIABLE . I know I have hooligan bike, I may look like a hooligan and sound like one at times, but I'm pretty square and enjoy safe and responsible riding.

Thanks if you've read this

Did the levers, front brakes , spark plugs, oil , coolant flush, new stator cover, new gps sensor, checked TPS and it looks fine according to the manual.

·
Super Moderator
8,870 Posts
Welcome! I have the exact bike in the same color and it has served me well over the years.

Regarding the quick cut out in first you experienced, lubricate the side stand pivot bolt and check that both springs are installed. Your symptom is pretty classic of a sidestand not fully up and slightly releasing the safety switch on acceleration.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the color! Regarding the one on the bike it has been zip tied so it's bypassed-possibly loose. I better order one. That's definitely something on the list of getting things in safe running conditions.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Nice bike, even with a few scratches. Would love to have one of the 06-09 models.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Welcome to the site. 750's are the best of all riding worlds. Light and nimble, and stupid quick. Be safe.

Reactions: Primo1

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gentlemen! While I was hunting for a GSXR I decided on the 750 vs 600 and also the body styles of the Late 06-09 always peaked my interest. She has some gremlins I have to vanquish- but that's all part of the fun. At least somewhat. Being patient is a battle.

I hope it all works out with this one.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If you can't get the answers to all things that ail a GSXR here, then it can't be fixed. These guys are the most knowledgeable Suzuki technicians available. You're in the right place...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding the quick cut out in first you experienced, lubricate the side stand pivot bolt and check that both springs are installed. Your symptom is pretty classic of a sidestand not fully up and slightly releasing the safety switch on acceleration.
The kickstand looked good. It was zip tied but taking the ohm meter to it worked like it should.
I'm guessing that some bad frayed wires might have contributed to my loss of power in 1st or just randomly in 5th. This is to the harness of the injector plug. The green lead just has ripped insulation. I fixed it up with new wire on the yellow side , good solder splice and heat shrink.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Nice bike.

Is the clutch slipping? That the reason for the new clutch plates?
Also the rear brakes- Ideally barely used, shouldn't hardly ever need new pads.
The sign of a 'rear- braker' while riding.

Stay healthy, Stay safe, enjoy the ride.

Oh yeah, you're a young'n too!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ! @ApexJunky

So I've been still waiting for a sensor and with all this home schooling and work- man fitting in the bike has been something to do.

I had to splice some wires together , didn't come out as I envisioned in my head but good solid connections for sure. Better than hack job electrical tape. Hopefully once the CKPS sensor comes in I can finally get some consistent starts and ride for longer than 30 mins !! Take the baby out for a real spin.

High heat /high voltage heat shrink 2 layers and a layer of regular colored heat shrink on both connections. The green lead just had insulation damage. The yellow was a bit more mangled up. Crossing my fingers .... I was able to look closely at most of all the connectors and they looked solid. Dirty as hell but solid.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks ! @ApexJunky

I had to splice some wires together , didn't come out as I envisioned in my head but good solid connections for sure. Better than hack job electrical tape. Hopefully once the CKPS sensor comes in I can finally get some consistent starts and ride for longer than 30 mins !! Take the baby out for a real spin.

High heat /high voltage heat shrink 2 layers and a layer of regular colored heat shrink on both connections. The green lead just had insulation damage. The yellow was a bit more mangled up. Crossing my fingers .... I was able to look closely at most of all the connectors and they looked solid. Dirty as hell but solid.

View attachment 293251 View attachment 293252 View attachment 293253
View attachment 293255
My years as an electrician applauds your work. That should hold nicely for the life of the bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's this thing called in the manual?

I didn't like where the previous owner had it. It was under the front nose fairing exposed.

Where the hell is it usually ? I was gonna tuck it over the the stabilizer but it rubs way to much on it when turning the handle bars ? Or am I just overthinking it

·
Super Moderator
8,870 Posts
That is the connector between the main harness and all the nose electrics including the lights and cluster.

Yes, they just dangle in the nose cowling from the factory. Putting it near the damper is not a good idea due to interference as you mentioned. If you can position it so that rubber boot is down to shield the connector, that would be good.

While you are looking at it, it is not a bad idea to spray it with some LPS2 or other corrosion protector. The connector is a known source of issues as the bikes get older.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not to raid the post, but do you mean spray inside and out, then plug back together? Mine is still in the rubber boot in the left body panel.
I just checked and found its non-conductive- so I guess it isn't used internally on the actual contact points.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts