Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! New member to the forum so bear with me ☺. I’m on the look out for a GSXR 750 and a little confused as to what year to get between a 2009 k9 or a 2011 L1. I’ve scoured the internet and some people prefer the k9 looks and that sways the decision (for them), to get the K9. But based on performance which is the better stock bike and is there much difference? Again if you had money for both which one would you choose? Hopefully someone out there would of have owned both and can a give there opinion?

much appreciated!

·
SuperMod of the North
26,540 Posts
Welcome Sir. Not a great deal of difference, They did do some updates in 2011 so it has some added trickery. Both are great bikes.

Reactions: MrNJ750

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Sir. Not a great deal of difference, They did do some updates in 2011 so it has some added trickery. Both are great bikes.
Thanks For the reply, I see guys selling the K9s with a couple mods for close to a standard L1 and I know it would depend on how heavily modded the K9 is but they seem to hold a strong price like they’re more sought after. Just wanted to make sure I weren’t missing a trick as a beginner.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
From all I have read around here, the K5 is the one everyone is after. I'm an old school kinda guy though, and prefer 2002 and older. Better looking, and can easily and inexpensively be made faster than the new ones...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From all I have read around here, the K5 is the one everyone is after. I'm an old school kinda guy though, and prefer 2002 and older. Better looking, and can easily and inexpensively be made faster than the new ones...
Oh ok I keep hearing K8/K9 for looks which I do think look slightly better than L1 (lights and just look more aggressive). Just wanted to see if the upgraded shocks/brakes of the L1 were worth the extra £😏

·
SuperMod of the North
26,540 Posts
What bike did you come from MrNJ?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Unless you’re a pro racer, I reckon either would be perfect for you. Go for the one that you can get the best deal on.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Can't speak to the 750's but the K9 1000 had a new two piece crankcase vs three piece before. The bearing oil in the new design was supplied through the end of the crankshaft via the stator cover. There seemed to be persistent oil related problems that went away in later years. Don't know if that applies to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless you’re a pro racer, I reckon either would be perfect for you. Go for the one that you can get the best deal on.
Ok thanks for the input Ozsyd, price-wise there’s not too much in it so may take the sensible “newer bike will hold value” approach 🤓

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't speak to the 750's but the K9 1000 had a new two piece crankcase vs three piece before. The bearing oil in the new design was supplied through the end of the crankshaft via the stator cover. There seemed to be persistent oil related problems that went away in later years. Don't know if that applies to you.
Aah ok I’ll look into that cheers Billv 👍

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I thought it was the 1000 where the K5 is/was so sought after? Not as much on the 750?
It just so happens- that's what I ride too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought it was the 1000 where the K5 is/was so sought after? Not as much on the 750?
It just so happens- that's what I ride too!
Ok tbh as a newbie I just researched the 750, didn’t want to jump up to 1000cc-slow and steady, slow and steady 😅

·
SuperMod of the North
26,540 Posts
Ok tbh as a newbie I just researched the 750, didn’t want to jump up to 1000cc-slow and steady, slow and steady 😅
Wise man. My impression is you just want to enjoy the sport and build skills. Your patience is commendable and will be valuable in learning good skills and habits. You are right...a 750 is a beautiful platform and has all the power you would want with a nimble chassis. You can’t push the limits of a 600 legally on the street - the 750 has even more on tap and the 1000 defines over kill. Unless you are looking to go to the track a 750 is likely the perfect bike for your application.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
The only and I really mean only time I ever felt my 600 was underpowered was on the front straight at Eastern Creek raceway (ie on the track).

Other than that it was the perfect bike for me.

A 750 is a great choice given the extra 30 horses for a couple of kilos of extra weight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wise man. My impression is you just want to enjoy the sport and build skills. Your patience is commendable and will be valuable in learning good skills and habits. You are right...a 750 is a beautiful platform and has all the power you would want with a nimble chassis. You can’t push the limits of a 600 legally on the street - the 750 has even more on tap and the 1000 defines over kill. Unless you are looking to go to the track a 750 is likely the perfect bike for your application.
Exactly that, just want to enjoy the sport and minimise the danger by me not riding like an idiot and focus on some of the other idiot road users that think bikes are “fair game”. Thanks for your input 👌

1 - 20 of 24 Posts