Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came here from gixxer.com, where I was a major poster (7500+ posts). But the recent website redesign there is so disappointing that I'm looking for alternatives. I own a K6 1000 with many minor modifications. In the pic, vintage 2013, you can see an R77 slip-on, BST wheels, ceramic front rotors, K9 front calipers, and a Brembo rear caliper. Among other items, I've since added Ohlins NIX 30 mm front cartridges and a 17RCS MC. There's about a million titanium bolts.

I'd like to learn and help others. Hopefully I'll be happier here.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
What’s up bill welcome here! I have k6 1000 also, nowhere near as modified as yours you got a real nice bike.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I came here from gixxer.com, where I was a major poster (7500+ posts). But the recent website redesign there is so disappointing that I'm looking for alternatives. I own a K6 1000 with many minor modifications. In the pic, vintage 2013, you can see an R77 slip-on, BST wheels, ceramic front rotors, K9 front calipers, and a Brembo rear caliper. Among other items, I've since added Ohlins NIX 30 mm front cartridges and a 17RCS MC. There's about a million titanium bolts.

I'd like to learn and help others. Hopefully I'll be happier here.
Holy Guacamole!! Bill V!
I'd hoped you'd post here a few years ago! Welcome!!!!!!!! :0

For those that don't know, Billv is one of the most Gixxer intelligent people on the planet!! :grin

We have a huge Red Carpet roll out for you!! :wink

Party is at my house, I'm buying- PM for details!

Seriously, welcome.

PS- the is the second I've read about this today, and now have to log in over there and have a look for my self!

** Edit- just logged on 'over there' Wow, that looks like some screwey stuff! Maybe the screen changes will load quicker?

Hey R forum users, it's BillV!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^Thanks for the kind words Todd. You seem to have nicely settled in here.

The information content on each GDC page has gone way down and they're wasting space on silly things like top posters and total posts/views. The search feature is a joke relative to what it used to be. They seem to have done the same thing to the R1 forum.

I can only guess but wonder if it has something to do with cell phone compatibility.

·
Premium Member
8,197 Posts
Welcome. I don't know what "upgrade" everyone is speaking about, but it does not sound good.

If they are trying to compete with FB, they will kill the forums as they serve different purpose.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^There's been a consolidation in print magazines that was discussed here. It roughly follows the pressure on print newspapers in general. But beyond that, there may be a cutback in bike forums. Busanation.com has shut down, Hayabusa.org was threatening to do the same (see this), and Sportrider.com now redirects to CycleWorld.com. There may be bigger forces at work that I'm unaware of.

·
Premium Member
8,197 Posts
The cost to host a website is pretty minimal.

The canned software to operate the site can't be much more.

There is virtually no staff and the host adds virtually zero content so I don't think there are many parallels with the magazine world.

Of course the business plan is to monetize the site as much as possible with advertisement revenue.

The magazine world is victim of the digital age. A few years back I brought a stack of motorcycle magazines to a dinner with local riders. Just a few were taken and one guy just pulled out his phone and said "I don't need those".

I think I subscribed to 5 motorcycle magazines 3 or 4 years ago. It is now zero. Half of them are gone the other half have changed to artsy fartsy "coffee table" magazines with articles of how they fix their motorcycles in India with old coffee pot lids.

It seems the kiss of death for a magazine is when Bonnier buys them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hear U guys, bean a member on the "other site" since 2004, when the revamp was done it just wasnt right so decided to join this one. was a member here before but lost my ID and couldnt log in.
have owned 4 1k's over the years, current one is a k8 with about 45000kms on the clock. had a git-off a month ago and a serious concussion that I am slowly recovering from. have all the parts to put the skooter back together, riding is finished for the year for me, looking froward to the next season, or might have to give up riding as I just turned 75 years young.

G

·
24,608 Posts
Welcome Sir. Great Bike! Glad to have you here, enjoy.

I will have to log on and see what is up with the "upgrade". Unfortuntely it is a sign of the times. John was right, it is relatively inexpensive to host a site compared to the revenue it could generate... your staff are mods who are volunteer and an admin can oversee many forums. IMO there was an explosion of forums because of this and our ACTIVE membership base dwindled. As I write this there are FOUR members on line and 199 guests...203 people. TBH three of the four are lifetime members and not generating hits for advertising. In 2012 we had 4177 members on at the same time. The market will shrink until sites are dense enough to provide a return.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts