Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I got a GSXR1000 K2 and just got a problem with a wierd high “click noise” from the rear wheel, when I rotate the wheel backwards. When I rotate the wheel it gets a little tighter from short time then the noise appears and it becomes looser to rotate agian for short time and then starts to tighting up again. It’s not at a certain point at the wheel.

Here is a video that shows the problem:

I hope you guys can help me out.

//the guy from Denmark.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,644 Posts
Perhaps it is your chain with a tight link. Have you had the rear wheel off and if so was it reassembled with spacers in the right place and torqued to spec? What condition is the chain in?

·
SuperMod of the North
25,644 Posts
OK, just saw the video. Have a look at the alignment and set up of your rear caliper and disc. It maybe a bit out of line and the sound you are hearing is the floating disc moving on the buttons. Any work there lately? Is your disc warped?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
It's happening multiple times per rotation. I'd be pulling the wheel and checking the bearings. How about a pic of the sprocket while you're at it.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, just saw the video. Have a look at the alignment and set up of your rear caliper and disc. It maybe a bit out of line and the sound you are hearing is the floating disc moving on the buttons. Any work there lately? Is your disc warped?
thanks for reply.
I haven’t worked the the wheel or the disc. Maybe it’s the alignment, haven’t tried that.
Can a disc just get warped by time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's happening multiple times per rotation. I'd be pulling the wheel and checking the bearings. How about a pic of the sprocket while you're at it.....
thanks for reply.
I’ll add the bearings to the to-do and see if it solves the deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will, thanks. Just need some time to look at it in this week. I’ll be back after I had checked it out guys.

·
Super Moderator
8,756 Posts
Welcome.

Is the sound more on the right side?

Have you checked the hugger to make sure it is not catching as you rotate the wheel?

It could be a wheel bearing failing and popping but it sounds so sharp I'll go with the chain catching on the front sprocket teeth due to wear.

Watch the chain when you hear the pop and see if it jumps a bit. If so pull the front sprocket cover and check for wear.

If that is good. pull the wheel and check the bearings. Just push down on the inner race of each bearing with your fingers and rotate it back and forth. You will find a rough bearing quickly.

Reactions: Winchester Boy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome.

Is the sound more on the right side?

Have you checked the hugger to make sure it is not catching as you rotate the wheel?

It could be a wheel bearing failing and popping but it sounds so sharp I'll go with the chain catching on the front sprocket teeth due to wear.

Watch the chain when you hear the pop and see if it jumps a bit. If so pull the front sprocket cover and check for wear.

If that is good. pull the wheel and check the bearings. Just push down on the inner race of each bearing with your fingers and rotate it back and forth. You will find a rough bearing quickly.
Thanks!
Great, I’ll check that out. The chain is not jumping when I hear the pop and the hugger is not catching so I’ll go for the bearings at first.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm gonna go with a stretched chain, and worn sprockets. Looking at the video, it looks like your chain is too tight, but a little hard to tell for certain though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm gonna go with a stretched chain, and worn sprockets. Looking at the video, it looks like your chain is too tight, but a little hard to tell for certain though.
Thanks for reply.
The problem starts last week and has never been a problem before. It’s the same chain, so can the chain be tighter by time and start to be a problem now?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Hey guys

I got a GSXR1000 K2 and just got a problem with a wierd high “click noise” from the rear wheel, when I rotate the wheel backwards. When I rotate the wheel it gets a little tighter from short time then the noise appears and it becomes looser to rotate agian for short time and then starts to tighting up again. It’s not at a certain point at the wheel.

Here is a video that shows the problem:

I hope you guys can help me out.

//the guy from Denmark.
Sounds like someone standing behind you, clunking 2 wrenches together when you rotate the wheel LOL

That's quite the clunk.
How meticulous are you on chain maintenance?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like someone standing behind you, clunking 2 wrenches together when you rotate the wheel LOL

That's quite the clunk.
How meticulous are you on chain maintenance?
yes, it’s quiet, why I think it’s odd. I’m doing the chain a few times a year so that shouldn’t be it. It sounds like the clunk comes from the right side of the wheel.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,644 Posts
This is so weird it is almost fun. I am thinking brakes still. I put my cursor on on of the disc buttons when it popped and every other pop was close to the same spot. I wonder if he has a brake pad out of alignment or a retainer spring missing above the pads? I'm getting some popcorn, I wanna see how this ends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is so weird it is almost fun. I am thinking brakes still. I put my cursor on on of the disc buttons when it popped and every other pop was close to the same spot. I wonder if he has a brake pad out of alignment or a retainer spring missing above the pads? I'm getting some popcorn, I wanna see how this ends.
haha, enjoy! I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update for your pleasure ;-)
...so it turned out that the rear brake was broken and held on the disc, so the wheel had a hard time turning. It has now been changed but the sound is still there....

Next to the wheel. It has come off and disassembled. I can feel that one bearing seems a little brittle so now the wheel has been send to my friend in the workshop for a change - I don’t have the tools for that and the option with the hammer and a bolt is not my favorite kind of toy ;-)

to be continued...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts