Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
rotaredom
888,895,580 Posts
its a great read sir thanks.

And totally agree...if you track a liter bike for a while then hit the same track with a 600...the flickability in cornering is night and day, and to me is 98% gyro effect of the liter bike.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: rider feedback, reminds me of a story I read about Alex Barros. He would go out and ride, come back to the garage, mechanics make adjustments, repeat. Bike kept getting worse and he got more and more frustrated wondering why they were doing that to him. Turns out he was saying "It's badder" when they thought he was saying "It's better" so they kept adjusting in the wrong direction. :laugh

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I wonder if the boxer engine of the BMW produces the gyro effect?
All engines do, but if I remember correctly the crank spins perpendicular to the rotation of the tires so it would be equal effect regardless of the direction of spin...i think... I would have to do the math on that one lol

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if the boxer engine of the BMW produces the gyro effect?
Interesting question since the crank is perpendicular to the wheels. Doing a little searching it sounds like they drop into right hand turns easier than into lefts.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Interesting question since the crank is perpendicular to the wheels. Doing a little searching it sounds like they drop into right hand turns easier than into lefts.
I'm going to leverage some of my physics degree to see if I can explain that.

I don't think that is gyroscopic. I think that's angular velocity and angular moment. Reason being, the gyroscopic force makes it want to stand straight up, but the momentum is tangential to spinning crank. The vertical and most diagonal components should cancel because they are the same in both directions. The horizontal components (left and right turning) are a component of the 12 and 6 o'clock positions on the crank. Assuming your contact patch of the tires is your fulcrum (and clockwise spinning crank), than the rightward force (top of the crank) is actually higher because the leverage force is the force multiplied by the distance from the fulcrum.

I don't know that this is fact, but that's my hypothesis.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I think apiazza is right. This video kinda explains what he is talking about when it gets to the girl with the wheel.

What I don't quite understand though is how are they going to do this? Do they just add another gear to change direction between the crank and the input to the transmission? I'm sure the transmission is already weight reducted like crazy so if so their adding a bunch of weight some of it is rotating so thats another force. Is the benefit really worth the added weight?

·
Premium Member
8,141 Posts
How about this.
Let's build a motorcycle with two rotary engines siamesed together at the crank.
They Wil be turning the same direction, but facing opposite ways so the gyro effect will cancel each other out.

·
Premium Member
8,141 Posts
How about this.
Let's build a motorcycle with two rotary engines siamesed together at the crank.
They Wil be turning the same direction, but facing opposite ways so the gyro effect will cancel each other out.
That's the stupidest thing I have ever read.
Everyone who reads that will be dumber just from having read it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. is a Japanese public multinational conglomerate corporation primarily known as a manufacturer of automobiles, aircraft, motorcycles, and power equipment.
Honda has been the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer since 1959, as well as the world's largest manufacturer of internal combustion engines measured by volume, producing more than 14 million internal combustion engines each year. Honda became the second-largest Japanese automobile manufacturer in 2001. Honda was the eighth largest automobile manufacturer in the world behind Toyota, Volkswagen Group, Hyundai Motor Group, General Motors, Ford, Nissan, and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in 2015.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
How about this.
Actually, that's essentially what MotoCzysz did on their 1000cc bike. V4. Front two cylinder's crank ran clockwise, the rear two ran counter clockwise.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
There's been reverse running motors for a long time. Most of which were shaft drive.
XS1100 ran reverse, Honda Magna 700 and it was chain drive. A few others as well.

I know when you rev a BMW Boxer, the thing wasnts to fall over lol, CX Honda's also

And the wheel spinning vid is very true. My BST wheels are so light, it's easier to turn in now, you can brake later and accelerate quicker.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Seems like it would make the larger displacement inline 4's safer on the street too.

Maybe it's time for Suzy to introduce one?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts