Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2004 GSXR 1000. Under normal riding I usually keep my RPMs to between 4-6k. I don't think I've ever had it over 8k. My question is because all these kids with newer bikes go around reving the crap out of their bikes... I was always told that doing that is very bad. So what's the deal? Do they just not care or are they uneducated... or am I? Bike engines may have advanced a lot since I was younger. Is it OK for them to do that? How about my bike, will I screw it up if I rev the crap out of it to hear it hit the limiter?

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
They can ride at high RPMs, that is what they are designed for. You haven't even hit the power band yet?

Not sure about the neutral bombs

·
Operation ... squid
9,341 Posts
no ur right ... it causes a lot of strain on a motor at such high rpms

any time ur turning ur motor those are miles on the motor, doesnt matter that ur not moving and theres no miles being clocked on the odo. ur cams are still turning, ur pistons are still moving, etc

bikes are in fact designed to pretty much take a beat down but y strain it just to hear ur limiter ... i stay away from the red zone (like the broncos hahaha)

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
The way I understand it is that the rev limiter is there to prevent damage. I wouldnt going around doing that to my bike though.
Those kids are just being kids I guess. And contributing to the embarrassing stereotype for SS riders.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My tach redlines at 12.5 and tops out at 14. Ive seen some of the newer bikes have a way higher limit.

"You haven't even hit the power band yet?"

You mean my bike puts out more power than what it does right now?? Holy crap! I'm holding on for dear life sometimes!

·
rotaredom
888,895,580 Posts
My tach redlines at 12.5 and tops out at 14. Ive seen some of the newer bikes have a way higher limit.

"You haven't even hit the power band yet?"

You mean my bike puts out more power than what it does right now?? Holy crap! I'm holding on for dear life sometimes!
your liter bike doesn't make real ass whippin power till after 8k...seriously

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to have try that out. Looking at a picture of my dash at my top speed (123mph), its right at 8K. I might have to go for one of my bucket list marks and join the 160 club.

Maybe...

·
rotaredom
888,895,580 Posts
I'm going to have try that out. Looking at a picture of my dash at my top speed (123mph), its right at 8K. I might have to go for one of my bucket list marks and join the 160 club.

Maybe...

do it in a controlled environment, that's a lot of speed to scrub off sir.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,700 Posts
Most of the time there is no point in revving that high anyway. Likely they're just trying to make noise for attention.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Since i'm selling my bike, I've been accelerating like a bat out of hell the last days I own her.... Even i'm amazed by how much power she has that I never use and i've owned her for almost a year.

Yesterday I did a full first gear roll on till redline, didn't realize I hit redline till my bike start slowing down and I was like... oh maybe I should shift lol. So fudgeflukin fast! 0.o

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
to do it out of gear and revving at high rpm is NOT good for it...the pistons ping "vibrate" in the cylinder...in gear and riding to high rpm is not "bad", its designed for that.
^This.

Hitting the rev limiter while accelerating is what the bike is designed for. The engine is making power and the pistons, rings and bearings are loaded properly.

The engine is producing very little power to hit the rev limiter in neutral. The parts are just flying around.

It is a testament to the engineers that the engines do so well in the hands of squids and ass hats.

Personally, I consider it a fail on my part to hit the limiter. It is my cue that I'm getting behind the bike and making mistakes. Probably getting tired and time to pit.

·
Registered
861 Posts
:0001136745-facepalm
to do it out of gear and revving at high rpm is NOT good for it...the pistons ping "vibrate" in the cylinder...in gear and riding to high rpm is not "bad", its designed for that.
do it in a controlled environment, that's a lot of speed to scrub off sir.
^This.

Hitting the rev limiter while accelerating is what the bike is designed for. The engine is making power and the pistons, rings and bearings are loaded properly.

The engine is producing very little power to hit the rev limiter in neutral. The parts are just flying around.

It is a testament to the engineers that the engines do so well in the hands of squids and ass hats.

Personally, I consider it a fail on my part to hit the limiter. It is my cue that I'm getting behind the bike and making mistakes. Probably getting tired and time to pit.
All words of wisdom! Do it in gear and you will be fine, but the limiter is there to prevent you from doing damage to your engine. GSXR's stop making power well before their redline, and produce what we call over-rev. It is power, but it isnt pulling. You generally want to shift before hitting the limiter.

As for beating on it, well, they are made to take that beating.

·
Exotic Racing Fruit
2,793 Posts
a GSXR 600 and a GSXR1000 will behave differently

A 600 is "meant " to be revved more also has there is bugger all power low down. A 1k has more torque thus more power low down so no need to rev the bejesus out of it (also you look like a moron)

I have done 161mph Sunday on my GSXR600 K1 and I was not redlining despite being in top gear ... redlining is not too good for you.. most modern bikes do have a rev "red line" limiter that protects the engine (my ducati used to and she would go on "limping" mode if I accidentally over-revved -a sign to tell me to treat it better)

4-6k range is good for town riding but on the open road as you (can) go faster you will go to higher revs before shifting up

in short- those kids you see with screaming bikes do not have a litre bike AND they will not have an engine for much longer :biggrin:

·
Operation ... squid
9,341 Posts
:0001136745-facepalm

^This.

All words of wisdom! Do it in gear and you will be fine, but the limiter is there to prevent you from doing damage to your engine. GSXR's stop making power well before their redline, and produce what we call over-rev. It is power, but it isnt pulling. You generally want to shift before hitting the limiter.

As for beating on it, well, they are made to take that beating.
game, set, match right there :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,154 Posts
Wait til you really use the power band on that thing. 11k rpm will make your spine tingle like you accidentally tazed yourself.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts