Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
a GSXR 600 and a GSXR1000 will behave differently

A 600 is "meant " to be revved more also has there is bugger all power low down. A 1k has more torque thus more power low down so no need to rev the bejesus out of it (also you look like a moron)
QUOTE]

This information is wrong. The torque on a 1k does help a lot with the power down low but where the true power and speed is on the 1000 is the same place as the 600s. Most people who ride 1000s keep the power down low because, unless you're on a track, that much power is usually not manageable on the street, unless it's open road. I have a 09 R1 and my dyno showed me exactly were my peak power is and that's right about 500 rpm before redline. I have my shifter light set up 500 rpm before the peak power to account for my reaction time and that is when I shift on the track. With my CBR F3 track bike, I have to keep it high revving because that is where all the power exist. The torque is too low to produce any real drive power so on the track that is where it stays.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Everyone keeps talking about the power the bikes have 10k plus... At 7k it takes off like a rocket. I cant imagine the feeling Ill have if it has more power than that.

Sabotage is right, for street riding keeping the RPM at about 5k is good. But I am definitely going to be trying the higher RPMs very soon!

·
Operation ... squid
9,341 Posts
Everyone keeps talking about the power the bikes have 10k plus... At 7k it takes off like a rocket. I cant imagine the feeling Ill have if it has more power than that.

Sabotage is right, for street riding keeping the RPM at about 5k is good. But I am definitely going to be trying the higher RPMs very soon!
just be careful man and GEAR, GEAR, GEAR!!! only YOU know YOUR comfort zone

doesnt matter if its a 250, 600 or 1000 ... something goes wrong at those kinda speeds on 2 wheels, ur in for a surprise thatll hit u quicker than ud ever dream of

and dont twist this chat around, take it all the wrong way and start beating on ur bike :lol:
"the guys on gsxr.com said ride my bike right below rev limiter all the time" :0001136745-facepalm:Laughing:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
just be careful man and GEAR, GEAR, GEAR!!! only YOU know YOUR comfort zone

doesnt matter if its a 250, 600 or 1000 ... something goes wrong at those kinda speeds on 2 wheels, ur in for a surprise thatll hit u quicker than ud ever dream of

and dont twist this chat around, take it all the wrong way and start beating on ur bike :lol:
"the guys on gsxr.com said ride my bike right below rev limiter all the time" :0001136745-facepalm:Laughing:
LOL! Yup! It's going to be all your fault! Just Kidding! There really isn't many safe places here in LA to open it up that much anyways, maybe a few 2am freeway runs. But I know my limits and have no problem slowing down if I feel in the least bit out of control.

Thanks for the concern. Some of the other forums would just be asking for pics or video of my speedo from a hand held iPhone while going that speed!

·
Operation ... squid
9,341 Posts
LOL! Yup! It's going to be all your fault! Just Kidding! There really isn't many safe places here in LA to open it up that much anyways, maybe a few 2am freeway runs. But I know my limits and have no problem slowing down if I feel in the least bit out of control.

Thanks for the concern. Some of the other forums would just be asking for pics or video of my speedo from a hand held iPhone while going that speed!
i wont lie to u and say its not fun and a huge rush ... u just gotta be logical with it (IF theres n e thing logical about topping a bike out on the highway)

but ya dude ... in order to be able to open a sport bike up all the way and feel the real power, u first have to master the art of texting, taking pics and vids, checking ur social sites, and posting here while riding ... im on 95 right now doing 180mph :Laughing:

·
Registered
327 Posts
:0001136745-facepalm

to do it out of gear and revving at high rpm is NOT good for it...the pistons ping "vibrate" in the cylinder...in gear and riding to high rpm is not "bad", its designed for that.
Revving ANY motor that isn't "under a load" is bad. Hitting rev limiter in neutral is pretty fawking stupid is you ask me.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
:0001136745-facepalm

to do it out of gear and revving at high rpm is NOT good for it...the pistons ping "vibrate" in the cylinder...in gear and riding to high rpm is not "bad", its designed for that.

+1

What you are hearing OP are the wacers mating call , they are trying to attract other squids in the area.

I'm just glad there aren't many Gixxer squids on the road . It's all Yamaha and ninjas.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
The sound of a skilled rider running these bikes through the gears is a true symphony and it ranks with the sound of high heels on marble and a diesel turbo spooling up. Hitting the rev limiter is more like karaoke.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
From what I understand, some of the newer bikes have a different limiter for neutral/clutch pulled that is a couple k lower than stock, not sure what year that was implemented though.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts

Just take your time moving up on those rpms. Start slow u hit 7 then go to 10 next and so on lil by lil till you get used to all the power. That's how I started I felt the same way u did also when I first started was so shocked on how much power 750 had.i felt her pulling me back as the rpms kept going up. UT now that I'm used to it just feels natural going up that high just brace yourself and tuck yourself in for a ride of your life when u hit the 160 mark . Talk about adrenaline rush u gonna get it like the fellas said male sure u have gear and no cagers around and safe road u gonna need alot of space. Depending how long u wanna stay at 160.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm going to have try that out. Looking at a picture of my dash at my top speed (123mph), its right at 8K. I might have to go for one of my bucket list marks and join the 160 club.

Maybe...
Don't think he is talking about hitting 8K in 6th gear on the highway. Its getting there between shifts that he is talking about. Try cracking the throttle harder and let the RPM's go past 8K and you should feel the difference.

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts
Sign up for a track day if you want to experience what the bike can do, or more what you can do with the bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
And.....

That was such a rush! This bike has crazy power! Didn't make the 160 club, my internal WTF are you doing kicked in at 147. But feeling the motor at the higher RPMs is crazy. It actually felt like it smoothed out a little, it felt pretty controllable even at the high speed.

We did a night run last night on Topanga Canyon that alone was pretty awesome! After a little more practice I am definitely going to hit the track.

Thanks for the advise guys and for the laughs!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts