Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Exotic Racing Fruit
2,793 Posts
a GSXR 600 and a GSXR1000 will behave differently

A 600 is "meant " to be revved more also has there is bugger all power low down. A 1k has more torque thus more power low down so no need to rev the bejesus out of it (also you look like a moron)
QUOTE]

This information is wrong. The torque on a 1k does help a lot with the power down low but where the true power and speed is on the 1000 is the same place as the 600s. Most people who ride 1000s keep the power down low because, unless you're on a track, that much power is usually not manageable on the street, unless it's open road. I have a 09 R1 and my dyno showed me exactly were my peak power is and that's right about 500 rpm before redline. I have my shifter light set up 500 rpm before the peak power to account for my reaction time and that is when I shift on the track. With my CBR F3 track bike, I have to keep it high revving because that is where all the power exist. The torque is too low to produce any real drive power so on the track that is where it stays.
unless I misread your message we are saying the same thing- how is this wrong?

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a question relating to this subject. I am a victim of a bouncing rev limiter on my k3 600. I did a very bad thing and not sure if I just made future damage..

I was on my way home tonight from work and I ride 19 miles one way to work and 19 miles home. Well half way through the trip I was cruising 75 on the interstate <--- that is the speed limit. And a mustang went to pass and decide to slow down to prevolk a race. While the drivers buddy was waving at me I decide to kick it down to 5th and then 4th and go ahead and zoom ahead of him. Right in the middle of blowing past him I went to shift up and accidentally shift into 3rd and my bike screamed on the redline like crazy for about 4 to 6 seconds before I could figure out what the heck happened and then I finally got it into the right gear and went back to 6th and just dropped my speed back to 75mph.

Did I do any harm to my engine?:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
just be careful man and GEAR, GEAR, GEAR!!! only YOU know YOUR comfort zone

doesnt matter if its a 250, 600 or 1000 ... something goes wrong at those kinda speeds on 2 wheels, ur in for a surprise thatll hit u quicker than ud ever dream of

and dont twist this chat around, take it all the wrong way and start beating on ur bike :lol:
"the guys on gsxr.com said ride my bike right below rev limiter all the time" :0001136745-facepalm:Laughing:
You dont have to lie to kick it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question relating to this subject. I am a victim of a bouncing rev limiter on my k3 600. I did a very bad thing and not sure if I just made future damage..

I was on my way home tonight from work and I ride 19 miles one way to work and 19 miles home. Well half way through the trip I was cruising 75 on the interstate <--- that is the speed limit. And a mustang went to pass and decide to slow down to prevolk a race. While the drivers buddy was waving at me I decide to kick it down to 5th and then 4th and go ahead and zoom ahead of him. Right in the middle of blowing past him I went to shift up and accidentally shift into 3rd and my bike screamed on the redline like crazy for about 4 to 6 seconds before I could figure out what the heck happened and then I finally got it into the right gear and went back to 6th and just dropped my speed back to 75mph.

Did I do any harm to my engine?:confused:
AS long as you service your bike as u should then your fine. If your oil is old and low then your bike hates you.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
AS long as you service your bike as u should then your fine. If your oil is old and low then your bike hates you.
He may not be checking in on that post- from 6 yrs ago.

Hell, while we're here, I answer the post title question!

How bad is it to bounce off the rev limiter?
Bad? Hell no, it's good!
Well, if you just start it up, and while in neutral, immediately take it up to the rev limiter and leave it there until you get it warmed up.
And it really gets people in cages attention when if you are angry or mad at them, to bounce it off the rev limiter repeatedly- that'll show 'em not to mess with you.
And while you riding and wrapping out a gear, wait until it hits the limiter before you shift- you want to get everything out of it in that gear.
And when you show up for a ride w/ your homies, repeatedly bounce off the limiter when you pull up to the group. The longer you do it, you'll know they think you are the coolest.

😜

·
Registered
549 Posts
🤦‍♂️ kids will be kids no matter what but you probably should not Make a habit to rev your engine till you hit the rev limiter. I doubt you hurt your engine doing it once but no reason to make a habit out of it even tho there may not be any immediate damage to the engine your certainly straining every moving part and wearing it out faster. I’d say it’s worst For your engine to hit your rev limiter With no load than to do it with some torque on the engine.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
Honestly, what Mr. Philly said. I did the same thing one morning when I thought it would be cool to switch to GP shift for no reason on a street only bike. Switched it back again when I got home. I have generally seen hitting the rev limiter by accident as an accident i.e. something you didn't want to happen and an indication you screwed up due to lack of skill or carelessness. Hitting the limiter on purpose is like purposely bashing your head against a tree just cause you have a helmet on and you wanna get all that protection out of your helmet. Might be OK to drop it one time but doing that eventually it is going to break.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Sounds like a good one for a Squid Tows a Buddy Challenge.

Two bikes and one tow-strap, securely tied to the rear wheel of each bike (amount of slack in the strap is optional). Hit the rev-limiter and pop the clutch to see who is the baddest of the baddest & who tows who. Video coverage is mandatory.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts