Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 gsxr and this is my first bike with a radiator in it my last bike was a 06 gsx which was air cooled so I never had a temp gauge so I let me bike sit at ideal and it hit 211 and I shut it off is that normal?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The temp is fine. My ex bike (k7 600) would get to about 105C/221F and the fan would come on. On hot days in slow traffic it got up to 107C/225F before the temp dropped down to 99C/210F when the fan shut off.

On the open road the temps sat lower. Even full throttle on the track it would sit at 85 to 90C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
According to the service manual the thermo switch will turn the fan on at 221 F and shut it off at 212 F. So you're fine. Switches with lower operating temperatures are available but your range has the advantage of boiling out any condensation that might be in the crankcase. The normal operating temperature is significantly lower. It's been speculated that Suzuki does this to reduce emissions in traffic.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your service manual has the actual numbers for each bike in the electrical section and in the back. The above is correct though. 212-225F is correct for fans on/off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
According to the service manual the thermo switch will turn the fan on at 221 F and shut it off at 212 F. So you're fine. Switches with lower operating temperatures are available but your range has the advantage of boiling out any condensation that might be in the crankcase. The normal operating temperature is significantly lower. It's been speculated that Suzuki does this to reduce emissions in traffic.
+1

·
Registered
341 Posts
They only mention it in the owner's manual and I don't have one for an earlier year. But 120 °C is normally the temp where the red LED comes on and temperature display starts flashing. My K6 manual states:

Running the engine with high engine coolant temperature can cause serious engine damage. If the engine coolant temperature indicates greater than 120°C (248°F) and indicator light comes on, stop the engine to let it cool.
Do not run the engine until the coolant temperature indicates 120°C (248°F) or below.

I'm not about to argue with Suzuki but I don't understand what the big deal is. I think cars can typically tolerate 265 °F before they start boiling over. Our radiator caps are rated at 1.1 bar/16 psi, which is the same as cars.

·
Registered
546 Posts
They only mention it in the owner's manual and I don't have one for an earlier year. But 120 °C is normally the temp where the red LED comes on and temperature display starts flashing. My K6 manual states:
Running the engine with high engine coolant temperature can cause serious engine damage. If the engine coolant temperature indicates greater than 120°C (248°F) and indicator light comes on, stop the engine to let it cool.
Do not run the engine until the coolant temperature indicates 120°C (248°F) or below.

I'm not about to argue with Suzuki but I don't understand what the big deal is. I think cars can typically tolerate 265 °F before they start boiling over. Our radiator caps are rated at 1.1 bar/16 psi, which is that same as cars.
Yes my 2000 gsxr manual said the light will blink.

To be honest I panicked & can't remember anything after. I was concerned on pulling off on the shoulder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts