Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2002 yzf600r today with 5600 miles on it for 3950!

it was never down........ until TODAY. i feel like shit i dropped it within having it for 20 minutes. i know its no excuse but im short and i was on my tippy toes tryin to turn it around in the road and i dont even know what happened honestly but next it was on the ground and i was in shock. i broke the blinker scratched the fairing and engine case. i just turned 18, only have my permit, and am taking the rider education new jersey course in april. any comments to make me not feel like shit anymore are welcome. ill also take some friendly your a fuckin morons ... kno i derserve it :headshake

by the way i need some frame sliders any links. i shouldnt have ridin it until i put sliders on i figured i would drop it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's why everyone recommends buying a used bike first. Just look at it this way, you dropped it already, got it out of the way, now you don't have to worry about dropping it again. And trust me, you're not the first one, and you won't be the last. Don't beat yourself up too bad. At least you didn't hurt yourself, and At least it's not a brand new bike. But, since you asked for it.......You f-in' moron! :laughingr just kiddin'...lots of people have done worse things than you did.

·
Registered
295 Posts
yeah im 18 and gettin my first bike in a month.. I already took the coarse a year ago and you cant go wrong with it cuz theres so much to learn and its lots of fun. im lookin into makin a light cage at work just cuz it offers more protection and i am buyin a bran new bike. hope i have a liitle more luck :lol:

·
Registered
309 Posts
you mentioned you are on your tippy toe. I recommend on lowering the bike. You are never going to use full potential of hitting the curves anyway. So sacrifice turns and gain your confident level by touching the ground with your heels instead of tip toe-ing... Oh by the way...welcome to the site

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well don't feel too bad I am sure everyone here has dropped a bike once in their life...I also suggest you lower your bike, it is not cool to be on your tip toes, also get yourself some leathers and ALWAYS wear your helmet! Welcome to the site hope you enjoy it here :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
Its gonna happen to you more probably. Get the frame sliders and next time should protect all your stuff a lot better.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It happens, I droped my bike not once but twice and the shitty part is that I had the damn frame sliders sitting in the garage. Brand new 04 750...Well actually my dad was the first to drop it he was on his tippy toes trying to turn the bike around and there went the bike. Well it happens to all of us just always wear your helemt and gear!! Welcome to the site!! Hope u enjoy it as much as all of us do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if i want to lower it do i have to take it to a shop or can i do myself with someone who knows bikes.

also this guy at my gym told me for his girlfriend he cut out some seat foam and that got her an extra inch or so. bad idea? he said he could do it to mine.

·
Registered
545 Posts
How tall are you guys? Maybe the gsx-r sits taller than my katana but im 6'0 and I can stand up with my feet touching the ground flat and have like 2 inches between my butt and the seat.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i dropped my first bike a bunch alot, so it happens moron :D . Just don't be like me when i did my first wheelie, mall parking lot, no run off, hit a curb, flipped in the grass on my back,took a chunk of rubber the size of my finger out of my front tire with about 50 people watching :thumbup: now that's entertainment! By the way I'm 5'10 and flat footed on my 03 1k

·
Registered
706 Posts
Cody said:
How tall are you guys? Maybe the gsx-r sits taller than my katana but im 6'0 and I can stand up with my feet touching the ground flat and have like 2 inches between my butt and the seat.
:headshake not everyone is 6'0 that is freakin tall dude, I am 5'5 I am not sure if GSXR is taller than a katana but some people need to have their bikes lower to have more control when they are stopped and just holding the bike up. :thumbup: PS the 2003 600 &750 is shorter than the 04 and 05...I don't know why they just keep making them taller and taller and taller pretty soon I will need a damn ladder to climb up!!! :laughingr

·
Registered
706 Posts
rev411 said:
i dropped my first bike a bunch alot, so it happens moron :D . Just don't be like me when i did my first wheelie, mall parking lot, no run off, hit a curb, flipped in the grass on my back,took a chunk of rubber the size of my finger out of my front tire with about 50 people watching :thumbup: now that's entertainment! By the way I'm 5'10 and flat footed on my 03 1k
:laughingr :clap:
Atleast you landed on the grass man!!! The guy I sold my Katana to he was riding with us and did a similar move except he wasn't trying to do a wheelie he was just "Trying" to ride..it was at the college parking lot and we were all cruising by a huge group of chicks ...well he looked too long I guess cause he hit a parking block and flew off like a little rag doll! The guy's had sympathy for him cause of the chicks but I couldn't stop laughing all night!

·
Registered
309 Posts
catera said:
if i want to lower it do i have to take it to a shop or can i do myself with someone who knows bikes.

also this guy at my gym told me for his girlfriend he cut out some seat foam and that got her an extra inch or so. bad idea? he said he could do it to mine.
You don't need to take it to the shop. Just have a friend help you to make sure the bike doesn't tip over. Put the bike on a kick stand. Place a jack from the right side of the bike...jack it right where the swing arm and the frame meet. Once the back tire is high enough, you should be able to remove the dog bone easily and rfeplace it with the new one

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well the katana seat's I believe dip in a little further than the GSX-R seats do. U can always get dogbones to drop it a inch or 2. All you have to do is replace the old ones. How to do this I have no clue!! But I've been told u can shave your seat also. Oh yeah i'm about 6'3" so i'm fine with touching the ground now my wife that's a different story she's about 5'4 and she's on her tippy toes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've done both....shaved the seat and lowered the bike. I preferred the seat, but you'll get different opinions on the two. Me...6'4"....no problems touching. My fiance' is 5'2", we shaved her seat, she hangs with all of us through the turns. My boy's girl, same height, lowered her bike, and she can't corner for shit. It just depends on what you like. If you don't know, I would recommend lowering it first, cuz you can always raise it again, once you shave the seat, you can't put it back without buying a new one.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.