antzgarcia· GSXR LIFE STYLE
a clicking noise when you start your bike is normalmy gsxr 1000 k7 is making a ticking noise some one said it may need a valve adjustment.
What are your thaughts and if that is the case how hard is it to do me self and what would need?
could be your cam chain tensionerIt has 12302 miles on it.
I will look into that as a possible solution thank you and anyone else please still respond.could be your cam chain tensioner
You can find one at: aperaceparts.com part #: ST1000-3 $52.00
It's the same part number for 04-07 so installation should be pretty similar, except if I'm not mistaken, there is an oil line on the 07.
1. Remove screws and stock tensioner assembly, 2 bolts. (Do not roll bike once you take off the CCT).
2. Throw the automatic tensioner at your neighbor's harley.
3. Install new CCT with Suzuki gasket.
4. Back tensioner and tightening nut out before you install. (you don't want to push on the chain while you torque it down)
5. Place tensioner into motorcycle and torque bolts to spec.
6. Tighten tensioner until it makes contact with the cam chain, (until resistance is felt).
7. Start motorcycle, tighten slowly until valve ticking stops. If your idle slows down or you hear a whining sound, you tightened too much.
8. Don't tighten too much, it's better to have it loose than too tight, you'll eat through your guides.
9. Hold adjustment bolt, then tighten nut at the base of tensioner.
10. Start it up and ride it like it's your neighbor's wife (the one with the harley).
Well it does it all of the time not sure whether it gets faster or louder when I rev it or go faster the bike is so loud but when I am off of the throttle I can here it and it is loud but it does sound more like the engine I am going to try the hammer trick and then get back to you.few things to be checking....
(1) Does the tick increase in speed with the engine when you rev it?
(2) Does engine tick when hot or cold or both?
(3) where is tick coming from? (place a hammer or spanner against engine in different places and listen to the opposite end of the spanner/hammer to see where ticking noise is worst)
could be cam chain, camshaft, injectors, leaking exhaust, piston slap, with those miles though prob unlikely to be piston slap or internal wear unless its been run dry on oil.
gixxers do make noise - they are performance engines :arsenal
So does your click really loud to when you are rolling into a parking lot or sitting still.it is most likely your injectors clicking, that is normal
I was told that 13000 was when I was supposed to get a valve adjustment but a service guy at the local motorcycle store but he is just the service guy and didn't really know.I do feel like thats high miles for YOUR year bike, how ever thats not enough miles to need a valve adjustment yet. GSXRs have louder "engines" then any other bike Ive owned. The valve train is just a lil noisey. This is my second Gixxer and the 1st one was loud too. I wouldnt be extremely worried unless the ticking got louder or faster with engine RPM.
All of the suggestions above are good, how ever I think you may be jumping the gun. Its only a 2 year old bike.
Well it does it all of the time not sure whether it gets faster or louder when I rev it or go faster the bike is so loud but when I am off of the throttle I can here it and it is loud but it does sound more like the engine I am going to try the hammer trick and then get back to you.
So does your click really loud to when you are rolling into a parking lot or sitting still.
its just like you call it " a light ticking", if you pay attention to it it seems loud, but when you are riding and paying attention to other things you dont notice it, its normal, its just your injectors clicking open and close, try the hammer trick to pin point where the noise is coming from.
I was told that 13000 was when I was supposed to get a valve adjustment but a service guy at the local motorcycle store but he is just the service guy and didn't really know.
None taken and yes I use the shell V power because shell is by my house.While these suggestions are all probably valid I don't want to insult your intelligence but are you using the highest grade fuel? I have heard some nasty clicking simply from low octane gas. Before you hit the big price solutions maybe a couple of cheap ones will help. If the clicking is light and exists at idle try putting better gas in and listening for the same click. I would recommend if you are going to tackle this problem yourself line your possible solutions up from cheapest to most expensive and search the symptoms online. for the ones that seem legit then tackle them cheapest to most expensive. most times with our bikes we assume the worst and the fix is quite simple. sorry for the long monologue but wanted to share what i have learned from this forum. **** luck and "shiny side up"
i have a 08 gsxr with 2000 miles on it, bought it brand new with 2 miles.it has had a slight tick the whole time. i went to the dealer and they told me that it was normal.
The service guy at the dealership told me that I might need a valve adjustment but I haven't gone yet I need to it is like $200 or so I think I posted the price above. I have noticed that all of the GSXRs that i have ridden with they do it to just not as loud as mine and you can only her it if you are on the bike.that ticking sound you hear is totaly normal, all of our gsxrs do it. and with only having 12302 miles on it i would bet it doesnt need it. one of my buddies has an k5 750 with 18--- miles on it, i cant remember the the exact milage but he took his into the stealership to have his done and they told him that they didnt need it.