Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some helpful tips here guys. When i'm riding and i'm going into a turn, and I begin to lean I feel like the back tire is going to slip from right under me. Is it because my tires are cold? Is there such a thing? Is it just in my head? I dunno I didn't feel like that b4 well I've only been riding since Nov 04 and that's on and off since the weather. I only have about 455miles on the bike. Is the back tire already broken in? This is on both sides when I make a turn. I dunno what i'm doing wrong here so any helpful tips would be appreciated.

TIA

kre8

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am new to this site. I dount know any of you guys. So if i suggest something you have allready done then let me know. Any way i whould suggest you and a friend spend a day tweaking your suspension to your riding style and your body weight. It is a very long and teadious but well worth it once you are all set up.

·
Retired Mod
6,899 Posts
kre8 said:
Ok, I need some helpful tips here guys. When i'm riding and i'm going into a turn, and I begin to lean I feel like the back tire is going to slip from right under me. Is it because my tires are cold? Is there such a thing? Is it just in my head? I dunno I didn't feel like that b4 well I've only been riding since Nov 04 and that's on and off since the weather. I only have about 455miles on the bike. Is the back tire already broken in? This is on both sides when I make a turn. I dunno what i'm doing wrong here so any helpful tips would be appreciated.

TIA

kre8
well how fast are you going? I mean are you hitting a corner at 100mph+????

if your just talking about regular riding, its all in your head. Since you haven't been riding much, maybe your not used to the bike leaning over that much. You gotta have confidence in yourself but also confidence in your bike and tires.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BallHawk3 said:
well how fast are you going? I mean are you hitting a corner at 100mph+????

if your just talking about regular riding, its all in your head. Since you haven't been riding much, maybe your not used to the bike leaning over that much. You gotta have confidence in yourself but also confidence in your bike and tires.

100mph+ :laughingr I'm happy if I can hit a corner with out slowing down oneday.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GravelSurfer83 said:
I am new to this site. I dount know any of you guys. So if i suggest something you have allready done then let me know. Any way i whould suggest you and a friend spend a day tweaking your suspension to your riding style and your body weight. It is a very long and teadious but well worth it once you are all set up.

Well :welcome: and thanks for the help. I mean everything on th bike is still stock. I haven't played with the suspension yet since i've never had that feeling b4. Even when I first got on the bike and took a turn I may have done it slower but never felt like I was gonna fall. Once i started to get use to it I started taking the turn's a little bit quicker and leaning more but now it just feels like it's gonna slip from right under me. I dunno I think it just be in my head since I know i'm gonna go and take my DL's exam.

Thanks again

kre8

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
thats kinda hard to answer without actually riding the bike. Is everything tight on the rear wheel? I would suggest getting your bike on rear stand and spinng it to see if it has any problems

·
Registered
527 Posts
It is called being new to riding, i felt like that for a while. It is in your head but you really need to just have patience and it will come in due time. Are you moving your weight around when you lean over. It helped me to lean off the bike alittle before going into a turn. Do you ride with anyone that is fast AND smart. Just follow some one and see what they do. I found if I follow one of my Racer friends, I go alot faster than I do if I am with some people tha cant ride as good. If you see them do it first it might help you to do it. Just take your time and as always do not push your self to where you freeze up, then you wil go down.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Being new, it will take time to understand the mechanics of riding a motorcycle.

A motorcycle needs to be fully warmed up before pushing it, this means all of the motorcycle, including the tire. I usually ride a bike for about 5 miles, slow and easy for the first couple miles (after about a 2 minute engine running only) and then gradually increasing speed over the next 2 or 3 miles up to about 50MPH. Then I ride normally for another 4 to 5 miles and by this time I know that everything is fully warmed up. This is especially important for the bigger sport bikes or high horse power bikes.

Pushing cold tires usally can mean you want to spend large amounts of money at the dealers and possibly the hospitals. Cold tires do not stick well.

Another thing I would recommend is reading some books like:

Keith Codes: "Twist of the Wrist" and "Twist of the Wrist II"
Sport Riding Techniques
Total Control
I have also heard that Proficent Motorcycling is a good book too.
These books will help you learn to ride better, just remember to apply what you read when you ride.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is:

Alway ride with in your limits and not the limits of others.

It is usually when you wander to far out side your limits, you will fall and get hurt.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check your tire pressure too. All the other ideas are great, and I totally agree, but sometimes we humans try to over think a problem. I may be stating the obvious, but you should check your rear tire pressure, especially if it's cold out. That will cause that slipping feeling..... only it won't be just a feeling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.