Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and a few of my buddies decided to try and get my old scraped up stater cover off of my 2013 750 we got the bolts out and carefully started to pry at it. We realize very quickly that wasn’t going to budge easily and spent probably about 10 to 15 minutes trying to muscle it out I didn’t realize that there was one bolt inside the stater cover that we had not gotten. Idiotic right I know, after that we pull the state her off pretty easy but I was left with this mangled block. As I’m trying to put the new stater cover on I am realizing that two or three of the bolts are not threading due to the damage. At this point I believe this is beyond my personal fixing it and so where would I take this bike to that would be able to do it and how much would I be looking at

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good shop... maybe 2hrs of labor. So about $200 to fix with inserts
OK that’s a lot better than I was thinking I was worried this was going to be near thousands. I’m guessing I wouldnt be able to take this to a normal like Powersports dealership so would I need to go to a machine shop?

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Hard to say. If they have good techs, then they can handle it. Might trailer it up and ask them what they think and get an estimate. Then find a machine shop and ask them the same.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
@Chuckster what about the split flange in pic #2? JB-Weld?

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
I'm guessing you mean right above where the cases come together? I'd sand it smooth and just silicone it. No pressure anywhere on this, just need it to not leak. Really the only concern here is keeping the stator centered and not contacting the rotor.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
This. The case is spit and pushed in.

Not a structural issue, but it will leak oil.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
If it were mine, I would gently run a rolocs pad on an angled die grinder to smooth all that out, then try to run a tap into all of those bolt holes. Maybe clean the ends up with a drill bit, but just the tip to clean the entryway of the bolt hole. Maybe in places that it is to gouged up, a thin layer of JB Weld, and again with the rolocs pad to smooth it all out. A little RTV black with a new gasket.

·
Registered
582 Posts
IMO Jasak and his buddies have no business working on bikes. I'll bet that this is covered up and eventually sold to an unsuspecting buyer who will later discover the carnage.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If it was me here's what I would do:

-Determine what thread your bolt is. You'd need a tap & die set. A good set should have a key to determine the thread & pitch. Maybe go on YouTube to learn how to determine your thread & pitch.

-When you determine what tap to use, start by hand to "start" the tap. Then use a tap wrench to chase the threads. If you are encountering too much resistance, remove the tap & start again.

-Blow off chips with compressed air.

-Run a small flat file on the flat surface. Ensure your hand is flat to get all that burrs out.

-You might need a silicone gasket maker.

If all that fails, you might need to do a helicoil, but that's a different story.

Or you can bring it to someone who knows what they're doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts