Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys... just joined gsxr.com

Anyways.. im looking for some new boots. Not looking for full race boots, just some new street boots that will still provide ample protection. Protection in them both seems good, and they are a little more stylish to wear at work/school if I have to, however the ankle support isn't too great. Not real worried about shin protection as ive got shin guards.

Has anyone here tried the ICON superduty 3's or the field armour Chukka's? Have any thoughts on them? Any other idea's for street boots that provide better ankle support but are suitable to wear off the bike?

http://rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1978&id=7890

http://rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1978&id=7887

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wear the super duty 3's I like them alot, they cover the ankle and breathe well. No complaints and I ve had them for about a year

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have Super Duty 2s and theyre ok... not the most comfortable to be walking around in but on the bike theyre fine. I was in CycleGear today and checked out the Chukkas and they look nicer and felt better on my feet... check them out.. you might like them..

·
Registered
272 Posts
I sport the field armors and highly recommend the icon boots. They breathe, don't chafe your ankles after a long riding session, and are surprisingly comfortable considering the bulk of the field armor and chukka boot cuts.

Then again, icon is pretty much a top-notch company, I'm never afraid to order anything from them online.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm surprised the icon boot bashing hasn't begun yet but before it does let me first say I have the Super Duty 2's and I love them. They offer substantial protection incase of an accident. Like previously mentioned you don't want to be hiking in them but they pretty much look like normal boots. This allows you to not look like a tool when you go places. I know that safety is the most important thing when it comes to boots but it really sucks to have people constantly mentioning your footwear if you're just trying to relax. I think Icon boots are great if you do a lott of street riding. Oh yeah, the price is right too.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
My thought...they suck. Then again, I think anything by Icon sucks compared to what is out on the market.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too am surprised the icon bashing hasn't begun yet! But i like a lot of their stuff. Ive got the motorhead jacket and i've enjoyed it thus far. Icon seems to be a love it or hate it thing.

I was a little concerned about feeling the shifter through the boots though.

Ive been looking for deals online but everyone seems to have pretty much the same price as my local dealer so ill have to drop by this week and compare the field armour/chukkas/super duty's.

thnx guys

·
Registered
582 Posts
and here comes the bashing....

j/k to each his own.. I too am looking for something else... a stars riding shoes or something.. now the bashing can begin on the riding shoes vs proper boot topic..

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Personally, I think Icon has the best marketing and is probably making money hand over fist (that's wonderful for Icon and those who sell it), however, their stuff is over priced for the worst graphics, designs (everything has to have a skull or a monster), and quality features/comfort. I have a couple friends with Icon Super Duty boots and they thought they liked them until they bought some actual race boots by SIDI, Oxtar, or Alpinestar. You can't beat a race boot when it comes to actually riding a bike and how it feels to shift a bike (when your shift lever is actually properly adjusted). Those Timberland style boots are too clunky to effectively ride with quick up and downshifting compared to a real race style boot. Plus, if you get your lean angle down pretty good AND you don't ride like your a freakin duck, you will appreciate the toe slider on a race boot. Those Icon boots with a rubber sole will have your foot pulled off the peg or worse, bent the wrong way under the peg.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have had the superduty 2 and 3's

I gave my 2's away with my bike like an idiot , so i rebought them , but the model 3's now. I love them.

Alpinestar street mx2 shoes look way better ... but oh well the superduty's protect much more

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I completely agree with you that icon boots (or A* riding shoes, etc) style of boot doesn't even compare to a full race boot like A* or SIDI, and for aggressive riding/racing I wouldn't consider anything less than a full boot, but for a quick ride around town to school/work/bar etc, a full race boot just isn't practical unless your going to be changing when you get to your destination, so a compromise is needed.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
oh shit i posted too late and YOU DA MAN began the icon bashing :lol:
I know I know :lol:. Seriously though, I know alot of you guys are noobs to riding...and thats wonderful because we all started there. I started riding when GSXR's just got fuel injected. Back then HJC was the "cheap, beginner brand". Now it seems Icon and HJC is the "cheap, beginner brand". I've had a couple HJC helmets and some cheap shorty gloves and a mesh jacket (the jacket was only for a couple weeks:D). After hanging with some really seasoned riders (guys who rode 300-400 miles of curves in a day in all leathers) I realized that the money invested in top of line gear was an investment in safety, comfort, and longevity. Once you guys/gals take the plunge into a pair of SIDI Vertigo boots, top of line gloves by Held, Kushitani, Komodo, A-stars and top of the line helmets by Suomy, Arai, and Shoei you will see why it's not wasted money. You can't take top of line Icon anything and hold it against another brands top of line and compare it.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Oh I completely agree with you that icon boots (or A* riding shoes, etc) style of boot doesn't even compare to a full race boot like A* or SIDI, and for aggressive riding/racing I wouldn't consider anything less than a full boot, but for a quick ride around town to school/work/bar etc, a full race boot just isn't practical unless your going to be changing when you get to your destination, so a compromise is needed.
SIDI is about the only race boot that you can get away with just wearing under jeans without looking weird. The others, I agree with you if you want to hangout for an extended period of time. I wont' ride without my SIDI's even to the corner store.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My thought...they suck. Then again, I think anything by Icon sucks compared to what is out on the market.
I couldnt agree more. I made the mistake of buying a pair. Terrible boots.

The cons: Bulky as hell. Its almost ackward to shift wearing them, no feedback on the rear brake, or the shifter. They are hot in hot weather. They are rigid as hell for the longest time.....longest breakin period ive ever had. And they are in my opinion ugly.

anyway....thats my 2 cents. If I could sell mine...I would. I would be more satisfied with an alpinestar, or even frank thomas riding shoe....that are thinner and more comfy for riding. The icon boots feel like you are all feet and no body on the bike.

save your money

·
Registered
582 Posts
just try em out man, if you dont like them dont buy em
just dont buy Sidis because they cost so much and alot of people swear by em... you will look like a tool sporting those to anywhere but the track... and I bet they dont have the best cut to be strolling around the park... or car/bike show... or your favorite bike night....

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
:laughingr:laughingr and how do ducks ride:headscrat
Boy howdy, here we go. I know you know what I'm talking about...probably one of you're pet peeves cuz I know it's one of mine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.