Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

ICON boots...thoughts?

2K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  JMT.357 
I sport the field armors and highly recommend the icon boots. They breathe, don't chafe your ankles after a long riding session, and are surprisingly comfortable considering the bulk of the field armor and chukka boot cuts.

Then again, icon is pretty much a top-notch company, I'm never afraid to order anything from them online.

It's easy to say "Go with full race gear", but not every ride is a knee-dragger. Most riders (myself included) actually ride to destinations, be it to a restaurant/bar, a bike meet, or even just wandering rides to a lot of places. All this entails walking, bringing comfort into the factor. I actually hate walking in my A-stars, not to mention looking like a space-man from the knee down. So, next best option....

Icon boots are inexpensive and offer protection. Not to mention you can wear them with jeans and not embarrass your girlfriend. You can also get a pair of A-Star riding shoes (not full boots) for about the same price. Need to decide what you like. My Icon boots are huge compared to other boots, and I bought them for winter riding. I want to try a pair of Diadora Express, but not sure of their quality, so won't order til I see a pair in person. I like the cut (like a race boot without the armor), and might give them a try now that "destination riding season" has come upon us.

Icon's other stuff? It offers some bling if you're into that. Not to mention comfort, another key if you're going to be off the bike a good bit. I still sport my old GSXR leather jacket I've had for years, so I can't vouch for Icon jackets. A few guys I ride with wear icon gear and love it, always bragging about how comfortable it is. I buy to protect myself, not to look cool. Hence my old thick, plain-jane suzuki jacket. Oh, not to mention that, for the price of an icon jacket, I camn buy a new leather suit......

Like I said before, I'm not afraid to order from them online, they are a good company (regardless of the arguable quality) and offer a consistent product.

Best company for street gear? I'll say A-Stars. If you can stand the graphics, Icon makes a decent product that caters to the bling crowd. But hey, it's like anything else, you get what you pay for. Most riders aren't going to blow major dollars on casual street gear. Save the real money to gear for those rides where you're going all out or know it's a day of riding, not just meandering from stop to stop.

Note: Under no circumstances would I recommend an icon helmet. They're absolute shit. Come off the hip and get a Shoei, Arai or Suomy. Only three I'd actually recommend.

For clarification:

I am NOT a professional. My racing career both on and off road was ended years ago by an accident (no depth perception in my right eye, no more racing). You da man and others are much more up to date and active on said topics. What I say is greatly influenced by guys I ride with and their experiences with street gear. It's merely opinions. For new guys, this is mostly a warning to take what I have to say as opinion and hearsay, not fact.

Also, my opinion on helmets: If a helmet is SNELL approved, it will protect you. My bias towards Icon, Sparxx, Rocket, Scorpion,, (list goes on) is 90% based on comfort, function, and quality. Shoei, Arai, and Suomy are my preferred helmets. Yes, all SNELL approved lids will give you protection. The three I say I recommend are three helmets I've worn, as well as MANY others, and the three that I feel are worth buying. Expensive: yes. Worth it? You wear a Shoei RF-1000 after a cheap $125 dollar helmet and you tell me.

Icon makes flash gear that caters to a specific crowd. Yup, I have a pair of their boots and recommend the company. Why? They offer a decent product that is consistent. I want people to be protected and not deal with the crap I went through (specifically, learning to walk and deal with a speech impediment at 25). Remember, for the price of an icon jacket (retail $600) you can get a full one-piece leather suit.

Sorry to hijack, but I feel some clarification was called for. I don't give a rat's ass what brand you wear, as long as you're wearing it. top notch companies offer top notch products (A-Star, for example), but anything is better than nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.