Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going on guys? Having an issue here. I took my bike apart for many modifications before I went on vacation, and like a moron, I stopped in the middle and went away. I didn't keep the hardware with any of the removed parts and I have a couple pieces here that I cannot find their proper placement. Bike is a K6 1000. I took the fairings off and removed the tank and many components around the rear frame area as well as the front sprocket cover for the 520 kit. Also, removed some inner cowling in the front to check everything out as I just purchased the bike. Sorry for my stupidity. Hope someone is able to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
There're a couple possibilities. One is that it's a spacer for the front tank mounts. It sits inside of the rubber cushion. See items 8 & 9 here.

A more complicated possibility involves the frame brace and the under cowling. The original stepped screw, item 9 here, was replaced by a screw/washer/spacer as part of the recall. The spacer also looks like your part and sits inside the cushion. Unfortunately, unlike the fuel tank spacer, this spacer sits loosely in the cushion and can fall out/be lost when the cowling is removed. Furthermore Suzuki only lists it as part of the frame brace, i.e. there's no part number for the individual part.

The only drawing that shows the under cowling spacer is in the frame brace installation instructions, that most people don't have. See page 6 here.

One of mine fell out and was lost several years ago. When I called Suzuki about it, they had no part number and were getting ready to send an entire brace kit to my local dealer. I used a large magnet to scan over the area outside my garage where I thought the part probably was and it popped up, so the extra brace kit was not needed. Customer service said that they were going to try to fix this mess. But I don't think that they did. Consequently I recommend gluing the spacer to the cushion with silicone rubber so it won't fall off.

Flanged spacers are also used to mount the R/R and the muffler. But I'm guessing that they aren't yours.

P.S. My notes say the fuel tank spacer has a 24 mm flange OD while the under cowling spacer is 17.8 mm. Yours seems to match the latter.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Looks sort of like a stand off for the tank bolts. Usually is through a piece or rubber and prevents the bolt from crushing the rubber.

·
24,608 Posts
My guess is also stand offs. I was thinking seat though. I think my '10 had similar hardware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There're a couple possibilities. One is that it's a spacer for the front tank mounts. It sits inside of the rubber cushion. See items 8 & 9 here.

A more complicated possibility involves the frame brace and the under cowling. The original stepped screw, item 9 here, was replaced by a screw/washer/spacer as part of the recall. The spacer also looks like your part and sits inside the cushion. Unfortunately, unlike the fuel tank spacer, this spacer sits loosely in the cushion and can fall out/be lost when the cowling is removed. Furthermore Suzuki only lists it as part of the frame brace, i.e. there's no part number for the individual part.

The only drawing that shows the under cowling spacer is in the frame brace installation instructions, that most people don't have. See page 6 here.

One of mine fell out and was lost several years ago. When I called Suzuki about it, they had no part number and were getting ready to send an entire brace kit to my local dealer. I used a large magnet to scan over the area outside my garage where I thought the part probably was and it popped up, so the extra brace kit was not needed. Customer service said that they were going to try to fix this mess. But I don't think that they did. Consequently I recommend gluing the spacer to the cushion with silicone rubber so it won't fall off.

Flanged spacers are also used to mount the R/R and the muffler. But I'm guessing that they aren't yours.

P.S. My notes say the fuel tank spacer has a 24 mm flange OD while the under cowling spacer is 17.8 mm. Yours seems to match the latter.
Thank you. It goes into the fairing per the recall like you said. Now, with that spacer in place, I'm trying to get the fairing back on and it seems like the bolt that is for this isnt long enough? I'm so confused right now. I'll attach a picture. I've tried everything that I can thing of and with everything in place, plain and simple I cant get the original bolt to reach the threads. This is so weird. The bolt wont even pass the spacer. Even without the spacer the bolt isnt long enough. Cant imagine what the problem is here

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you. It goes into the fairing per the recall like you said. Now, with that spacer in place, I'm trying to get the fairing back on and it seems like the bolt that is for this isnt long enough? I'm so confused right now. I'll attach a picture. I've tried everything that I can thing of and with everything in place, plain and simple I cant get the original bolt to reach the threads. This is so weird. The bolt wont even pass the spacer. Even without the spacer the bolt isnt long enough. Cant imagine what the problem is here View attachment 292987
+1

·
Registered
181 Posts
Per my post above "The original stepped screw, item 9 here, was replaced by a screw/washer/spacer as part of the recall." It looks like you're trying to use the new spacer with the original stepped screw. They're not compatible. As I indicated, the new parts are shown on page 6 here. The full parts list is on page 4 but it takes a while to understand it because of the absence of part numbers for the individual parts. The replacement screw is an ordinary M6x1x30.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I'll stop by a home depot and pick up two screws like of that size. The confusion was a result from the bolts that came off the bike which are the pre recall bolts. No idea how they were able to work. Im just gonna get the bolts you stated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts