Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 750 and it idles at about 4000-5000rpm. choke is off and the knob near the resovoir is twisted all the way to the left. someone told me it was possibly getting too much air so im gonna check that out with starting fluid tommorrow. hopefully it is just a vacuum leak but are there any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Check and make sure your carbs are closting all the way. Something could be blocking the cable or any one of the moving parts. You can try spraying starting fluid around the intake when its all sealed up and if its sucking any in you can tell. But usualy if you have a leak they run like shit.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yah butterfly valves need to be closed when off and when running only opening a little when idling. Where the cable connects is where the idle adjustment screw would be. Not sure if there is a fast idle screw adjustment there to get confused with. Could also be the whole cable is being pulled or bent so that it pulls near the linkage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they might only be cracked no more than a millimeter. im gonna go back in and see if i can close them anymore. that idle screw u are talkin about is released all the way and it still idles high.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I just know that when it happened to my Buell the throttle was blocked from closing all the way but it you couldn’t tell without looking in the carb. Lesson learned don’t buy a Buell. But if it’s less than a millimeter that probably not the case. Does the idle stay high when you’re in gear and riding it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having similar problems with mine. I just got it and it idles OK at first but once it gets warm and I stop at lights it idles very high until I let the clutch out a bit. I am also having problems with the bike creeping forward with the clutch all the way in so I was starting to think it may have had something to do with that. But if yours idles high in neutral it must be the carbs. i also have to take mine apart to see what is going on because I have also taken the tank off and checked hoses with no change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine is running great now but im gonna wait until tommorrow to try it again on the cold start. its idling fine at 1500 and for about 7 minutes it surged back and forth between 1500 and 1000. i had it running for almost an hour and it ran fine. rlyon... you might want to adjust your clutch cable to prevent that creeping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ya I tried that but it didn't make a difference. I even adjusted it so much it wouldn't change gears so I had to back it off again. I was thinking I may need a new cable to fix this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I fixed the creeping forward but now it still does the same thing once it warms up. Come to a stop and it idles high so I let the clutch out a bit which drops it back down but when I go to take off it hesitates. I am wondering if the guy before me put in the wrong jets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.